+ Reply to Thread

Thread: powermax 900 problem, Jim?

Post Thanks / Like

powermax 900 problem, Jim?

I have this Powermax 900 I bought used, it worked fine for a project I did a month or two ago, then the unit sat idle.
    I went to use it the other day and it powers up, lights come on, fan and then a click like a relay is engaging but I can't get anything at the torch, nothing happens when I pull the trigger. The air test button doesn't do anything either when I push it.
    On the inside of the case, LED #6 is lit up as well as LED # 4 which all point to normal operation.
    Any quick tips or maybe a common issue to look for?
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Re: powermax 900 problem, Jim?

Well after a quick phone call to tech support and talking with a great rep I believe we have the problem figured out. It appears that the switch on the torch head is stuck in the on position and the machine has a default to shut off any chance of spark if the switch is already on when you turn the power on. I tested the switch and sure enough, no click and shows continuity all the time.
    Thanks again to a great tech support rep. I feel bad I can't remember his name.
    It's always nice to deal with a company that offers support of an obsolete machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, their tech support is great. You might try blowing the head out with compressed air first.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I finally got the switch today and installed it, she works like a charm. I will be more careful where I order parts from though from now on. This place had to have a minimum order to Hypertherm and then the switch got sent to their Syracuse store and then didn't get put on the truck to Glens Falls for some reason until yesterday, they/I received it today.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist