Thread: 13 year old trailer rebuild

Post Thanks / Like

13 year old trailer rebuild

Hopefully I can get pics up tomorrow, A customer called Friday to come and look over a trailer rebuild I did 13 years ago, a 24' flatbed that they pull behind a 40' lead trailer. They had the deck peeled off to replace it and he wanted me to check for cracks, etc. Happily there is not a single crack to be found after 13 years of daily service. One of their loader guys destroyed the rear sill, so I may be replacing that. The rebuild started with 20' of frame rail and a title... and grew a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 13 year old trailer rebuild

Hopefully this link will work for you to access welding pics of todays project.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtbjvs9qm3...49.44.jpg?dl=0

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  2016-08-29 08.48.46.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  81.2 KBName:  2016-08-29 08.49.11.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  55.6 KBName:  2016-08-29 08.49.26.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  45.4 KBName:  2016-08-29 08.48.29.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  71.5 KBName:  2016-08-29 08.49.44.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  70.9 KB

Maybe this works...

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty heavy duty.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    Pretty heavy duty.
    It had to be stout, they haul a little bit of everything. Oddly enough after adding 4 feet to the main rails and stripping all the old junk it ended up 1200lbs. lighter than the original. The main rails have the VIN for a 1948 Utility brand trailer with a matching title.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, now the fun starts, I have to replace the front 8 feet of the 40' trailer next to this one. The deicer chems have totally rusted the front structure out. You can't weld rust flakes back together.

Post Thanks / Like

All sorts of crap gets inside the kingpin structure. I've really never seen a trailer that has good provision for drainage in this area. The boxed in area where the 5th wheel plate is, never seems to be done with this in mind. I shouldn't say "never", but I've yet to see one that's well drained.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    All sorts of crap gets inside the kingpin structure. I've really never seen a trailer that has good provision for drainage in this area. The boxed in area where the 5th wheel plate is, never seems to be done with this in mind. I shouldn't say "never", but I've yet to see one that's well drained.
    5th wheel plates are one of my least-favorite jobs. Somewhere underneath of mixer wagon liners though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post
    5th wheel plates are one of my least-favorite jobs. Somewhere underneath of mixer wagon liners though.
    you haven't lived until you have to drill and shoot a mixer drum before you can repair it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    you haven't lived until you have to drill and shoot a mixer drum before you can repair it
    Back in the 70s I saw a portable batch plant that lost power... Total loss. And a mixer truck that rolled on it's side, they cut the drum loose and it still sits in a corner of the pit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    That's dedicated alright. Luckily the concrete plant I worked at scrapped the drums from trucks that lost power instead of trying to hammer them out. I can't say I've ever heard of anyone trying to shoot one before.

I wonder if there's a thread already going for truly crappy jobs our members have been involved in. I bet we all have a few of those stories. I know I could come up with some.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post
    That's dedicated alright. Luckily the concrete plant I worked at scrapped the drums from trucks that lost power instead of trying to hammer them out. I can't say I've ever heard of anyone trying to shoot one before.

I wonder if there's a thread already going for truly crappy jobs our members have been involved in. I bet we all have a few of those stories. I know I could come up with some.
    Have you ever had to modify piping that pumps liquid cow poo? that's crappy. Oh, welding new decks in cattle trailers is bad too, no matter how much pressure washing you do.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say if we're sticking to the strictest definition of 'crappiest' jobs done, the two I'd think of first would be helping rebuild part of the sewage plant at an I-81 rest stop on the VA/NC border (Fancy Gap, maybe? Can't remember the name now), and the time I made the mistake of having my mouth open around flying manure while helping my Dad and Uncles grade cattle at an age that kids these days no longer are allowed to work at. Manure on my person was so common growing up that I seldom even think about it as a "thing," but manure being tasted in my mouth was something else altogether.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Back in the 70s I saw a portable batch plant that lost power... Total loss
    Was the operator too stupid to open the mix chamber up and get laborers to clean out with a shovel? I work on portable continuous mixing plants (pug mill style) that process 400-600 TPH its not that hard to clean out if you do it before all the cement hardens up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenbuggy View Post
    Was the operator too stupid to open the mix chamber up and get laborers to clean out with a shovel? I work on portable continuous mixing plants (pug mill style) that process 400-600 TPH its not that hard to clean out if you do it before all the cement hardens up
    I don't remember the whole story but apparently a supervisor thought they had enough time to restore the power.