+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie here, how're my first welds?

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie here, how're my first welds?

Machine: Ironton Flux Core 125
    Wire: Lincoln Innershield NR-211-MP .035

These are my first ever welds, I'm 100% new to welding and I know this machine is not exactly first-rate, but it's what I got. I'll step up to a better machine when I think I'm ready.

Machine was set to the higher voltage level and I played around with the wire speed...found that it was sticking well between 5-6. Material is 1/4" steel, some slag left but you get the idea. Any pointers you awesome guys & gals can provide would be amazing, thank you!!

Name:  Welds 1.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  50.0 KBName:  Welds 2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  56.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie here, how're my first welds?

If you're on a 110-120V, 20A outlet, the practical limit is 1/8" for good fusion. Cut and etch those practice welds so you can feel the tears roll down your face, lol. Yea it won't be good from a penetration standpoint.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    If you're on a 110-120V, 20A outlet, the practical limit is 1/8" for good fusion. Cut and etch those practice welds so you can feel the tears roll down your face, lol. Yea it won't be good from a penetration standpoint.
    Lol. It is on 120V, 20A outlet...this is about all I can do until I move into a home. I'm going to cut that piece in half and see what's up, I have welds on both sides.

Am I going to fast/slow on these beads? I tried all kinds of positions as well, I like them all pretty equally...but I always drag/lead the puddle.

Post Thanks / Like

Not bad, couple turds there but not bad.

You were given enough some solid advise abovery. Remember. 001 per amp approx for penetration. You can weld thinker than 1/8" just needed to be beveled with a root pass, and multiple cover beads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MK2MR2 View Post
    Am I going to fast/slow on these beads?
    Beads are humped and obviously too cold. You really need to be close in output to the material you are welding to get an idea on if your travel speed is too fast/slow.

Consistency isn't bad though. Your beads are also nice and straight, something many have issues with when starting out. If you were doing these at the school, I'd want to see longer welds though. That really shows consistency and straightness better than short 1-2" long beads.

.035 wire is probably too much for a small machine like that. While it will run, you will get better results with .030 wire as the wire itself won't eat up all your output just to melt.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha, looks like I got a lot of practice ahead of me...which I can honestly say I am having a blast doing. I've read/seen so much on here in the past few months and I'm happy to finally practice it all.

I heard the same about the wire from a welder buddy, but it will probably quite some time before I finish this 10lb spool :/

Thank you all for your help!
    Last edited by MK2MR2; 08-30-2016 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors

Post Thanks / Like

You can definitely get a better result by beveling to a edge on both sides and weld both sides. By the time you do the initial pass on the "back" side, it will be nice and toasty enough that it will be essentially pre-heated for you, which is kinda like a small boost in the welder's output power for when you do the subsequent cover passes to build up the weld bead profile. The problem with all this is that in the real world, you hardly ever get the chance to do this.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist