Thread: Electrode Replacement - Pit Depth

Post Thanks / Like

Electrode Replacement - Pit Depth

What is the proper replacement pit depth on Hypertherm electrode? Operators manual page 5-3 says max 1/16 (1.6mm), the quick setup guide says maximum 1mm. Why would Hypertherm have two different specs included in their literature?

I generally can use at least a couple of new nozzles per electrode on a TD, they seem to wear the same size as the nozzles hole diameter. The Hypertherm electrode seems to wear the electrode with a larger diameter than the nozzle. Is there any downside using a Hypertherm electrode all the way to 1.6mm using multiple new nozzles?
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Electrode Replacement - Pit Depth

1/16 is pretty standard on Victor, Esab (Pt-37 etc) and Hypertherm.. The copper plus is worth the extra $$$ for most things I cut.. I would say two nozzles (tips on Victor) per electrode seems to be a good rule of thumb with most quality machines.. The pit is small on my Hypertherm electrodes cutting on my table.. Using the pilot arc could change things on all of them.. On Thermals I watch the Arc voltage spike a bit, and then I change them out.. Unless it's getting worn down where it's time to go.. I do try to keep my electrodes/nozzles matched up, mostly because I have different cups on the 52(A-40 now really) I don't keep one electrode in the machine for all the different amp sizes. Just pull, and put in a complete set. first or second tip etc... I store things in a cup setup to go for Shielded/ Un-shielded etc..

Are you using the 85 on your table?
    Last edited by Brand X; 09-11-2016 at 09:42 PM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

I had it on the table for a short time using 45 amp shielded, then used the same electrode on hand torch, put on gouging shield and nozzle to remove some terrible cracked welds on a trailer. I checked the electrode and it was about a 1mm pit, that is when I pulled out the manual and quick guide and found a descrepancy in replacement pit depth. I just did not want to waste a new nozzle or have a bad cut using it back on the table. I try to get the most out of my consumables since I am cheap. Maybe I should keep the electrodes matched with what nozzles I am using rather than trying to mix and match?
    Last edited by Jawslandshark; 09-11-2016 at 09:54 PM.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

Buy the Copper plus if you are cheap.. $1.00-$1.50 more per electrode but last twice as long as the standard.Good value there.. .. up to .500
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

I'll mention the discrepancy to our tech writers and see if it can be changed for the future. It is always best if you contact Hypertherm directly when you see errors in our operators manuals....tech service or customer service will immediately forward the details to the correct department. Finding the info online is a bit slower!

The wear rate depends on the materials you are cutting as well as the techniques you use....such as piercing, drag cutting, standoff cutting, hand cutting, machine cutting, etc. The bottom line is that you should change the electrode when cut quality suffers.....or if you don't care about cut quality then definitely change it before it fails (green flame out of the torch).....failure will take out the rest of the consumables and possibly damage the torch. I use two nozzle to one electrode (on average) with my Powermax85 on a cnc machine. Others are closer to 1 to 1 ratio. If you are using more electrodes than nozzles check your air quality. (moisture, oil) Jim Colt Hypertherm

The section in the manual that suggests how to inspect the consumables should be used as a guide, this one from the Powermax65/85 manual.Name:  consumables inspection.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  58.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    What is the proper replacement pit depth on Hypertherm electrode? Operators manual page 5-3 says max 1/16 (1.6mm), the quick setup guide says maximum 1mm. Why would Hypertherm have two different specs included in their literature?

I generally can use at least a couple of new nozzles per electrode on a TD, they seem to wear the same size as the nozzles hole diameter. The Hypertherm electrode seems to wear the electrode with a larger diameter than the nozzle. Is there any downside using a Hypertherm electrode all the way to 1.6mm using multiple new nozzles?

Post Thanks / Like

So based on this info (1/16 pit depth replacement) it does not mention diameter of pit or using an electrode with various different nozzles. My issue here is I went from shielded 45 amp then reused the electrode on gouging. The electrode was right at 1mm pit depth and the circumference of the pit was larger than deeper. On the gouging there was no cut quality, I just did not want to blow out a new cutting nozzle using the old electrode. I have pretty clean air along with a MotorGuard and the Hypertherm additional filter on the back of my unit, I don't think I have a problem but a refrigerated dryer is in my future.

I am going to pick up some of the copper plus as Brand X mentioned also.
    Last edited by Jawslandshark; 09-12-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

30% off of this.. for 1/2 hour more..

https://www.zoro.com/ingersoll-rand-...in/i/G1635672/
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

That was a deal I could not pass up, I went ahead and ordered one. It was $478.80 shipped to my door. I was looking at one a tad bigger but for the money difference this will work. Usually I have nothing else sucking air if the plasma is going so this should be fine for my needs.

Thanks for posting this, you saved me over $200!

Post Thanks / Like

I think end use for a plasma, it's perfect.. You could do a some painting with it too. Most of the other air tools/etc.. little oil covers them.. So kind of a point of use unit basically. It said US built on the ad.. Others around that price were South Korea. Probably really good too.

Mount it down stream close to the plasma, just to gain some more efficiency out of it.. Still filter for oil, and you will be good to go..

I almost ordered one, but my filters/ quality desiccant covers it to about 99.99999 % (High Desert)
    Last edited by Brand X; 09-12-2016 at 02:59 PM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, looks like a great deal. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Post Thanks / Like

Got the IR refrigerated air dryer hooked up, very impressed with the unit. Made in Italy if you can believe that? I stole another idea off one of the compressor threads here on this forum and am installing an intercooler now on the back of the compressor. I have to slow down on the money spending, been getting crazy the last few weeks since I have a had a little breather from work.