Thread: Welding Engineering

Post Thanks / Like

Welding Engineering

Is there anyone here with a degree in welding engineering? I'm a high school student looking to pursue this as a career and I have a lot of questions that I would love to talk with a welding engineer about and maybe get some answers.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding Engineering

Not me, but I've worked with many. I've even thought about getting a Masters in it. As far as I've been told, Ohio State seems to be one of the top schools in the subject.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I hear, but I also have many other questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, I was hoping for more information. I finished my A.A.S. years ago, and have worked towards a BS. Manufacturing Engineering and Welding Engineering are two programs I'd be interested in. For Welding Engineering, there really isn't much info out there.
    RGL Motorsports #129
    RL Ironworks - Random side stuff....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by odenrox View Post
    That's what I hear, but I also have many other questions.
    Well, what are they?

I'll share my experience with the subject...

After not wanting to be an engineer, I changed majors to get "certified" in TIG. My teacher wanted my to get 6g certified and do pipe work since he saw that I had talent, but I wasn't too keen on that. I spoke with the director of our welding department at the community college I was going to, and that conversation steered me into looking at "welding engineering". He suggested three schools - Ferris State in Michigan, Ohio State, and La Grange in Texas. Texas was out of the question due to distance, and Ferris state was the better of the two options I had left.

I was really keen on going there due to the VERY NICE facilities that they had to offer. I was going to start with the A.A.S. in Welding Technology then proceeded to the B.S. in Welding Engineering since the classes are sequential. The difference between the two is a highly skilled production welder or shop foreman, and being someone who sets up robotics, designs weldaments and other "hands off" type of welding related processes. The more I though about it, the more I didn't want to complete the B.S. half because I wanted to weld, not engineer... Unfortunately, I got REALLY sick the first two weeks, and had to drop my classes; due to a misunderstanding they thought I was done with the program, and when I asked to verify that I would be signed up for the next year they were like, "oh, there is not a spot for you, you have to wait two years for an opening..." Yeah, right... I could learn in two years what I needed to and get a job doing what I wanted to do - weld.

So to answer your question, the only thing a Welding Engineering degree is going to get you is a job not welding. Which is fine if you want to be an engineer, but if you want to actually weld, I would suggest a different route.

A.A.S. in Welding Technology

http://catalog.ferris.edu/catalog/20...7/program/4982

B.S. in Welding Engineering

http://catalog.ferris.edu/catalog/20...7/program/4998
    Alfa Turd 200dx 16'

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?