+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning aluminum TIG

Post Thanks / Like

Learning aluminum TIG

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to learn to TIG aluminum. Thought some of these beads looked somewhat ok but then looked at the photo and thought maybe not. 3/16" aluminum, 1/8" 2% ceriated, 3/32" 4043 filler, 125-130 amps. Some pulsed, some not, some auto clean, some not. Any comments or advice is appreciated. Lincoln Precision TIG 225. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Primeweld Cut 60 Plasma Cutter
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln Precision TIG 225
    Century 250 MIG
    Lincoln 225 AC Box (sold)

I support my local welding store (Amazon, McMasterCarr, Cyberweld, EBay). Yes it's sarcasm.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Learning aluminum TIG

I'm somewhat of a novice myself with AC TIG on aluminum, and those are great early beads on aluminum.

But welding involves joining something.

You're ready to stick stuff togather.

Show us some butt joints, inside and outside corner joints, T-joints, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree. Keep running beads on that plate. But run them straight. Start by running a bead around the perimeter. Then pick a side to start with and just run beads the entire width with each bead just overlapping the edge of the previous bead. There's a lot of real estate on that plate. Use it up. Work up to being able to go the entire width without the heat getting away from you, with your filler hand being able to keep up, with being able to keep a consistent torch angle, bead width, and ripple pattern all the way, and without leaving a crater. Do it till your bored stiff and push through and do it some more.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what Zank posted, practice holding the torch with your right and left hands. Also don't let your practice piece get overheated. Aluminum welds very differently when the piece being welded is very hot.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma
    Died and needs a new circuit board so its an expensive boat anchor now
    Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

Post Thanks / Like

130 amps on 3/16 isn't enough when it's a cold plate. U need 190 amps or more unless U start right ok the edge. And the plate will over heat after a couple passes, then quench. Should come out pretty silver looking, not frosted white looking

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    130 amps on 3/16 isn't enough when it's a cold plate. U need 190 amps or more unless U start right ok the edge. And the plate will over heat after a couple passes, then quench. Should come out pretty silver looking, not frosted white looking
    Actually I made a mistake. The plate was 1/8" thick. I started at the top and just kept running beads without letting the plate cool. I have more plates. I'll rotate them and cool them as I go.

What causes the frosted white look?
    Millermatic 211
    Century 250 MIG

I support my local welding store (Amazon, McMasterCarr, Cyberweld, EBay). Yes it's sarcasm.

Post Thanks / Like

Using 130 and taking too long prolly. U need to keep the tig torch moving the whole time and adding filler with out puasing in between dips. Try starting the weld at 150 amps about .5" away from the edge and after the first dip you'll might need to back off the peddle a little bit keep moving. And should come out silver and shiny

Post Thanks / Like

U gota swirl the torch as well , to it won't crater on u

Post Thanks / Like

I worked in the aerospace industry and alway used pure tungsten electrodes for Aluminum. You might want to use a 3/32 diameter electrode with 1/8 filler wire and 20 cry of argon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That was 20 cfh

Post Thanks / Like

Those beads look good, especially for a beginner. I don't see too many spots where you accidentally touch the tungsten to the puddle, so your torch control seems to be pretty good. The main thing I would say to work on is avoiding those big craters at the end of each weld. Add a bit more rod and slowly ramp off your heat. If you do still get a crater at the end of your weld (which I still do on accident a lot of the time), at least put down more filler so it doesn't sink in to the metal you are welding. That will be a weak point where a crack may start. If you are using more than 14-16CFH of gas for these practice beads, you will be using an unnecessary amount of gas. Also, I would ignore the pure tungsten comment above. Using pure tungsten is obsolete in my opinion. It won't hold a consistent shape compared to other tungsten.

Hopefully this video will give you a few pointers on how to refine your practice beads:
    Last edited by Aaron@6061; 10-13-2016 at 01:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    I disagree. Keep running beads on that plate. But run them straight. Start by running a bead around the perimeter. Then pick a side to start with and just run beads the entire width with each bead just overlapping the edge of the previous bead. There's a lot of real estate on that plate. Use it up. Work up to being able to go the entire width without the heat getting away from you, with your filler hand being able to keep up, with being able to keep a consistent torch angle, bead width, and ripple pattern all the way, and without leaving a crater. Do it till your bored stiff and push through and do it some more.
    +1
    It's cheap, very good practice.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

After getting proficient at the "bead on plate" thing I think about the next best practice project a beginner can move on to is building "cubes". I think it also has the added advantage in that it starts to teach some "fit up" skills. It's fairly economical to find a piece of drop sheet metal some where and get some one to run it thru a shear a get a whole bunch of pieces to work with. Then all you really need is a piece of angle iron and a pair of clamps. It can also be pretty quick, easy and economical (meaning cheap) to saw up various sizes of flat bar to get the pieces to work with.

If your first couple of ones aren't that good looking you can get some more "bead on plate" practice on the surfaces of them. When you start getting some good looking ones you can start handing them out as gifts or promotional items. If you write your name and phone # on them with a Sharpie they'll make a "business card" that people won't tend to lose (or throw out).

Name:  cubes 001.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  85.9 KB
    Last edited by HT2-4956; 10-13-2016 at 09:42 AM.

14. Likes FlyFishn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fab54 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to learn to TIG aluminum. Thought some of these beads looked somewhat ok but then looked at the photo and thought maybe not. 3/16" aluminum, 1/8" 2% ceriated, 3/32" 4043 filler, 125-130 amps. Some pulsed, some not, some auto clean, some not. Any comments or advice is appreciated. Lincoln Precision TIG 225. Thanks!
    Cover that puppy until it cries!

I would get some 5356 and run it side by side to get a feel for it as well.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Not much progress tonight. Switched to 3/32" tungsten. Tried to move faster and control the heat. Going to try some 5356 Saturday.
    Millermatic 211
    Century 250 MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Not much progress tonight. Switched to 3/32" tungsten. Tried to move faster and control the heat. Going to try some 5356 Saturday.
    That looks better. Roll off your pedal though at the end. Twirl the tungsten as you roll off and try to eliminate that crater. 5356 is much stiffer and holds it's shape better. It is a bit dirtier though so hold a tight arc.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    That looks better. Roll off your pedal though at the end. Twirl the tungsten as you roll off and try to eliminate that crater. 5356 is much stiffer and holds it's shape better. It is a bit dirtier though so hold a tight arc.
    Ok here are some with 5356. Boy this is tough for an old guy. Timing, steady hands, feeding the same amount of filler, maintaining electrode position....

Should I be messing with pulse and cleaning? Or just leave it on auto clean?
    Millermatic 211
    Century 250 MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers9 View Post
    I worked in the aerospace industry and alway used pure tungsten electrodes for Aluminum. You might want to use a 3/32 diameter electrode with 1/8 filler wire and 20 cry of argon

Are you using sine wave, or square wave? Forgive my ignorance of Lincoln. Pure tungsten won't work well with square wave power. I gave all mine away when I went Dynasty. Virtually all tungsten is OK. The best need to be ground less often. Zap uses only thoriated, and his work proves his choice. Others like 2% lanthanated. I have a vast assortment, and I'm pretty color blind. I use them interchangeably, grinding when needed.

Padding beads is boring! It will pay off. It won't really be fun until you join pieces together to make an item that didn't exist before.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Should I be messing with pulse and cleaning? Or just leave it on auto clean?
    I would leave it on the same settings for now. Until you are happy with your hand skills I think its best to keep other variables out of the equation.

Your beads look acceptable to me, now mix it up with some outside corner joints and then some fillets, you will learn a few techniques in each type that will help you out.
    Red Seal Journeyman Welder (2003), Red Seal Journeyman Metal Fabricator (2018), Welding Engineering Technologist (2005)
    Pressure - ASME Section IX
    Structural - CSA W47.1, CSA W47.2
    Transport tanker - CSA B620
    Aerospace - AWS D17.1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Are you using sine wave, or square wave? Forgive my ignorance of Lincoln. Pure tungsten won't work well with square wave power. I gave all mine away when I went Dynasty. Virtually all tungsten is OK. The best need to be ground less often. Zap uses only thoriated, and his work proves his choice. Others like 2% lanthanated. I have a vast assortment, and I'm pretty color blind. I use them interchangeably, grinding when needed.

Padding beads is boring! It will pay off. It won't really be fun until you join pieces together to make an item that didn't exist before.

Willie
    It's a square wave. I'm using 2% ceriated.
    Millermatic 211
    Century 250 MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Looks clean man! It takes a lot of time to get comfy, ur off to a good start I can tell! Now let's see some t joints or build some big dice. Building stuff is fun and gets u pumped up to weld it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  55.5 KB heres some dice I made then chromed. Was one of my first projects. I also weld with a pt225 and keep my stupid little cleaning knob turned about to 80-85 percent or else it won't ball the tungsten right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Looks clean man! It takes a lot of time to get comfy, ur off to a good start I can tell! Now let's see some t joints or build some big dice. Building stuff is fun and gets u pumped up to weld it out.
    I know. I have a lot of steel laying around unfortunately my supply of aluminum is rather thin right now. Stuff is $5 a pound around here even in the so called "bargain barn".
    Millermatic 211
    Century 250 MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Any other metal shops near you? $5 is high. I'm paying 80 cents a pound for full 4x10 stainless and sane I think for aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

I know. I have a lot of steel laying around unfortunately my supply of aluminum is rather thin right now. Stuff is $5 a pound around here even in the so called "bargain barn".
    Sounds like Logan steel.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist