Thread: Hobbyist welding courses in New Jersey/NYC

Post Thanks / Like

Hobbyist welding courses in New Jersey/NYC

Hi,

I am brand new at welding. This is going to be a hobby and only a hobby. I have wanted to do this for quite a while now. I have registered for a welding course in Brooklin but wanted to know if there were more places to have welding courses for hobbyists or just to learn.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Regards,

Bertrand

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hobbyist welding courses in New Jersey/NYC

I am not being critical; but welding as a Hobby is sort of wonky. I think of welding as a tool and skill that is necessary to accomplish a task. My hobby is wheeling 4x4's (Jeeps); welding is a tool needed to keep my Jeep's on the trail and out of the poor house. Some people are into arts and crafts and use welding to build sculptures, again it's a tool.
    I think you need to stick around this forum and see what is involved in welding; believe me, there is a lot to learn
    Welcome to the forum. Ask questions and have fun!!!
    Last edited by Billdacat; 10-20-2016 at 07:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Berty1970! Great that you're getting formal training at the start, have fun with it. You can also watch any number of videos on the web, and Weldingtipsandtricks.com has some of the best. I bet if you watch Jody's videos it will arm you with informed questions to ask in class.

Have fun with it, let us know how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome...
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Aboard!

I'm with Bildacat, welding is just one package of skills and tools that makes other hobbies/professions possible.

My 'noisy toys' are farm and industrial tractors with the occasional Jaguar E-Type thrown in for fun.

What were you planning on doing with your welding skills? Artwork? vehicles? (don't mention trailers, PLEASE!)
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    1970's Cobbled together O/A

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning,

Thanks for the answers. So, I have many hobbies and welding will be complementary to many of these. Currently, the first goal is to add metal to my woodworking. I build my own furniture. Started with Woodsmith plans and then learned SketchUp and now am using Fusion360 exclusively to design my furniture. I am also building my own amplifiers and speakers. I've started doing my own amplifier cases but, because of my limited knowledge, I'm kinda stuck to squarish shapes. I know that welding, and generally learning about metal working, will modify these limitations. I've also built my own OX CNC (cartesian style CNC) to broaden these horizons.

So, while I understand that welding in itself may not be useful, I am thinking more about fabrication and furniture building as a start. I've also always wanted to restore an old automobile. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

As you might know, as a newbie, I have sooo many questions about equipment (welders, MIG, TIG, etc. which is best, etc. (it depends on many factors...), techniques (YouTube and practice will be my friends on these).

This is why I would like to do this the "right" way for once. All my hobbies have been "dive in and figure it out" however, this is more involved and I want to be as good as I can as rapidly as I can without making expensive mistakes. So, some basic and medium level courses would be good to have to help me on my way. I know practice makes perfect - look at my woodworking - so I want to start this and get good at it rapidly.

All your help is appreciated!

Regards,

Bertrand
    Last edited by Berty1970; 10-20-2016 at 11:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think learning to weld as a hobby is fine. You don't need any other reason.

Better to get the skills first and then figure what you want to do. Instead of trying to build something and then figure out that you are in way over your head and you have bought the wrong material, you have the wrong equipment and you have zero skills and not enough knowledge and you desperately post your cry for help here on weldingweb.

That's how welding school works. Learn first, build later.
    Last edited by Pete.S.; 10-20-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Which class you talking? The one in downtown bklyn? The intro course there is really really basic, and is costly. You learn a lot of book stuff, but you can learn that on your own.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Madmax718,

Yes, I am taking the Nov 13th class Welding Weekend Workshop at She-Weld by SVA. I don't know if it is pricey as I wasn't able to find much more courses that is not geared for people wanting to start in that trade. Any help would be appreciated for other sources of hands on learning.

Billdacat is in NJ so it would be great to know if there is anywhere in NJ where I can get hands on training with an experienced person.

Thanks.

Bertrand

Post Thanks / Like

That one wasn't even the one I was talking about, I thought you were referring to the one at citytech. This one is considerably cheaper (though in a non class-room type facility, and appears to be only one day) and also doesn't really get you toward a certificate program.

Welding is a lot like playing music. Tig welding is a lot like piano, with a foot pedal, and both left and right hands doing things. There's a rhythm to it.

Anyone can do mig. Just hit the trigger and wire spools out, and voila, welds. But good welds and bad welds, there is a lot to it. Kinda like scrambled eggs.

Do yourself a favor, even though they say "closed" shoes, you should at least wear an old pair of leather shoes or boots. Closed shoes are great until you get a bit of molten splatter that burns its way through your sneakers. Long sleeve tightly woven- think UV protection from the brightest day of the year. a baseball cap is good for protecting your scalp.

Finally, Im going to leave you with this tidbit; much like music, or anything else, almost anyone can hit keys on a piano. Not everyone makes music. It takes practice and experience.

Everyone can weld- But to be fast, good, and beautiful, requires practice and experience.

I went the opposite route. I studied all the normal classroom stuff, then instead of paying for a classroom, I used the money for my first welder- a Tig machine. Classroom cannot replace hours and hours of hands on time. I've seen some welders so good that the moment they touch the metal, they know what they have to change to adjust for the conditions, and what the outcome will be. Thats like Kasparov Chess playing- the end game has already been figured out the moment you make your first move.

The reason to go to a bigger welding school is because they often have more machines for you to try- as well as more time to be hands on; more plates for you to practice on, get you more comfortable with the heat. If you don't have space (or the necessary power) to practice at home, this often becomes the only way for you to get practice. Plus they stop you from some bad habits from ever developing. They area also more cognizant of your safety. Fume extractors, proper grounding and wiring of equipment, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Welding can be a hobby, but its usually treated more as a tool, as stated above. There's not much joy for most welding two pieces of metal together for no purpose other than to attach it together. Kinda like woodworking isnt to make saw dust. But people enjoy shooting, and a gun is a tool, so...

Though welding in it of itself can be satisfying, being able to make things out of metal is always cool. Custom wine rack? Check! Want to cool those cookies and pies faster? make an aluminum cooling rack! Tired of the neighborhood kids opening your PVC gate? Make one out of metal and pad lock it. Worn out shovel tip? Put a new one on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Berty1970 View Post
    Hi Madmax718,

Yes, I am taking the Nov 13th class Welding Weekend Workshop at She-Weld by SVA. I don't know if it is pricey as I wasn't able to find much more courses that is not geared for people wanting to start in that trade. Any help would be appreciated for other sources of hands on learning.

Billdacat is in NJ so it would be great to know if there is anywhere in NJ where I can get hands on training with an experienced person.

Thanks.

Bertrand
    Bertrand
    I am in southern New Jersey outside of Philadelphia (yeah it sucks). Our local Camden County College is an outstanding go-to facility for welding, CAM and technical training. Have you looked into your community colleges; sometime the welding training is buried deep in building trades.

You do realize this "Welding stuff" isn't cheep. The machine is one thing; quality hand tools, PPE (personal protection equipment), and welding station/location is whole other enchilada.

Post Thanks / Like

@Madmax718
    Thanks for the tip. I think I know it will take me a lot of practice. I don't want to be a master welder, just enough to get me started on my furniture enhancements and then we'll see. I've got tons of projects in mind past that.

@Billdacat
    I'm in Scotch Plains. I'll look at the colleges around here to see if they have anything. All I've seen so fare are within the Welder curriculum. Might see if I can get in a course or two. Currently, I can do day classes during the week but I am hoping that this day availability on my part will be short lived. Concerning cost of hobbies, I'm known to choose hobbies that unfortunately aren't cheap... I'll see with the first course in November and start from there. It would be nice to find something more local of course. Even someone who would be willing to show me the ropes and what to look for in equipment, what type of hand tools, shop set-up (for me, everything needs to be mobile as cars need to come in to sleep at night), etc.

As I said, I'm starting on this so doing a lot of research but people who have been at this for a while are a fountain of information. I'll peruse the forum to see if there is a "What is you shop set-up" thread to see what people have and do.

Than you all again. If you have suggestions I'm more than willing to listen and learn from you!

Have a great weekend.

Bertrand

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Berty1970,
    I grew up in Scotch Plains and learned to weld in Scotch Plains. I took evening courses at Union County Vocational School. Here is the link to the course selection http://www.ucvts.org/domain/374
    My teacher, Tom Mann, there is the reason why I'm still welding 5 years later and now working in the welding industry. If you have any questions about the courses there feel free to contact me. I'll pm you my contact info.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Berty, Love to hear about your projects. Mostly because I do wood too, but havent found too much "cross over" applications. Barn doors perhaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi madmax,

I will post them. Hopefully, I will be able to get cracking at this soon with my first project.

WeldFab gave me a good tip on courses near here so for more official courses, they may start with the new semester. In the meantime, I will start with the first course at She-Weld.

Regards,

Bertrand

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Berty.

As mentioned, look into the Adult Ed or Vo-Tech courses. Some of the courses are geared for the person trying to get certified in welding as a career, but some of the places will also have 'hobbyist' courses.

example:

http://www.mcvts.org/continuing_educ...w_e_l_d_i_n_g/

Should be similar to the Union County Vo Tech, just a different county and different instructors.

I'm a little north of you in NJ. Ask away.
    The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

Post Thanks / Like

I think the She-Weld weekend class is a great way to get started for people NOT looking for a career in welding.

OTIS out here had a really good course that lasted more than a couple weekends based on the same principle but sadly it was canceled- the full time students complained about not having access to the Lab/shop.

Now it is only offered in the summer.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Thank you for all the information. I had not realized that there were weekend and evening courses available in voc. I will call them to see about next semester as now is too late.

Thanks again. Nov 13th is sooooo far away still. Can't wait to get started. Been watching the welding videos recommended by Frenetic.

Bye for now.

Bertrand