Thread: Aluminum Brazed Bandsaw Stand

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum Brazed Bandsaw Stand

I wasn't expecting to get anywhere near done with this project until this weekend. Got a couple of decent nights in the studio and made some huge progress. I was about to put this in the 'tools and equipment' section until I realized, "Wait a minute...I oxy-fuel brazed this..."

I've been wanting a new stand for my portable bandsaw (Milwaukee Deep Throat) for a while. You've seen this old bracket I made, out of plywood. It just wasn't cutting it (no pun intended). I think it was generally an elegant design, but it takes up SO MUCH room, wherever I clamp it...and sticks out into the walkway and generally just gets in the way. Whenever I clamp it somewhere, I usually need to use that space just a few minutes after I take the time to set it up. Even when I had the portable workbench you see it on here, it really got in the way and was easy to tip over.

I've been wanting to upgrade this for a long time. Now that I have a little more room in the new studio, I wanted a freestanding saw...something I didn't have to clamp onto anything and something which did not take up any bench space. I've been noodling with the idea of using crutch legs for table legs for years and slowly collecting old metal crutches, for just such a time as this. Here, the frame is basically complete and I just set the saw on it, for the picture. I still have to add the attachment points and a couple of braces.

I've been working on arc welding lately (instead of the oxy-fuel welding I usually do) and recently got the aluminum spool gun set up on the Lincoln 210MP. I wanted to try the spool gun on this project. Unfortunately, this crutch tubing is actually very thin, at 3/4" diameter, 0.048" wall (19mm diam, 1.2mm wall) and spool guns are infamous for not working on thin stuff (I certainly couldn't get it to weld this thin, without blowing through--but this was my first try with a spool gun). So, gas brazing was my next option. I am very comfortable with the oxy-acetylene torch--whether soldering, brazing or welding. After a lot of fabrication last weekend...cutting to length, coping the tubing and cutting the miters, I was ready to go with the brazing. This is the jig I put together, out of 2x4" lumber (40X90mm), to hold the legs in place as I brazed them. I gave the legs approximately a 5-degree angle outward, to make the stand more stable. The rubber crutch tips easily soak up that 5-degree angle.

Overall, I was pleased with the results. I'd like my brazes to be a little cleaner, but they were looking pretty good, by the time I finished. The saw is rather heavy, so I am going to need some diagonal bracing, to keep the stand stable. I plan to get that done this weekend.

I've had this project in mind for a couple of years now...I'm very pleased with the results. The cool thing is that the crutch legs are adjustable for height. I set it up for 'sitting' height, with plenty of room to go taller.

KDub
    Last edited by Machine_Punk; 10-21-2016 at 02:10 AM.
    Kevin / Machine_Punk from The Aerodrome Studio

- Lincoln PowerMIG 210 MP
    - Meco N Midget w/custom welding station
    - Vintage Victor 100

Current Projects: The Aerodrome Studio

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum Brazed Bandsaw Stand

looking good! I wish I had the means and the ability to join aluminum! I do have a MIG but it is not setup for aluminum., I don't knof of any compatible spoolgun and everyone says that trying to push aluminum wire through a regular mig gun is bound for disaster.