Thread: TIps for a wanna be welder like me!

Post Thanks / Like

TIps for a wanna be welder like me!

Hi all,
    I live in Tampa, Fl and was wondering if you guys could help a new guy out.

I'm thinking of joining a 2yr welding program at my local community college. Welding is something that I think I would enjoy, I like working with my hands and welding just seems bad ***. The thing is though, I've never welded before. I'm finding it hard to commit the money and time to go to school on something that I've never even tried before. This might be a dumb question but is there a cheaper way to try out welding besides going and buying all the equipment? Are there any shop that maybe rent out time or something like that?

Thanks for any help yo guys have!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TIps for a wanna be welder like me!

Run an ad in your local newspaper, or Craigs list to see if someone with a welder would give you a lesson or two.
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

See if you could find a welding shop that would trade some work for some lessons.

Post Thanks / Like

You may be able to find a local to you welding supply house that rents equipment but for the price of a few days rental you could own a used welder out right.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Wire feed or stick welding? U can buy a stick welder for 150$-300 for brand new. Then just teach urself.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about starting to learn mig welding, seems most appropriate for shop work right?.(please let me know if that's wrong!)
    I never thought of asking a shop to trade work for lessons, great Idea! I will also post up on craigs list!
    I did think about renting from home depot or something but then I thought that I don't really have a suitable place to weld...the shed I have has a wooden floor, seems like a bad combo.
    Thank you all for the replies!

Post Thanks / Like

Welding sucks. It is just a needed evil though. Although depending on where its done it is on par with flipping burgers. I would rather mow grass for a living than breath fumes and dust in all day sun beating on you in leathers at 100f. Sure it might look cool on tv and some guys make money at it but most barely get by. I never worked with a welder that I thought was worth a crap.

I heard that our newest guy did not like welding anymore. So to help break his boredom they put him on the bandsaw for a day. Talk about the frying pan or the fire! He hated that too. I about pissed my pants when I heard he wanted to go to school to be a machinist. Heck dude you can't even weld and don't have the aptitude for grinding off bb's.

Post Thanks / Like

Find a job shop that will take you on as a floor sweeper and work you in and up as an apprentice. First... you'll be getting paid, second.... you'll get real world experience from some guys that know their stuff.

The last 2 guys I hired out of a 2 year CC program lasted a day and a half. They couldn't weld and continuously told me "that's not how we were taught"... Never say that to a guy with 40 years of experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Good jobs that pay well are not easy to find nowadays even for college graduates unless what they studied is in demand, most of the graduates look for jobs in other fields, as long as they can have a paycheck, they take cashiers jobs, or work at Walmart,home depot. etc,etc. welding at the very least gives a young man/woman the opportunity to get a foot in the door, it is a learned skill, if you like metal fabrication and enjoy mig welding ,you can be welder/fitter and make more money than the average guy who just finished high school or even college, and don't forget,when you look for a job you'll be looking in the skilled section not general labor jobs.

You always have to be realistic though, don't expect good wages at the beginning but if you find out you really can take the tedious/ dirty world of welding and don't mind standing in one spot making the same part over and over, then you can pursue this trade by going to a proper welding school and get your welding certificate, and only then, you can increase your chances of finding a better job in manufacturing/metal fab. it does get easier to find employment..it's a living. could end up being a good living.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by distrbd View Post
    ... it is a learned skill...
    Yep. There are two kinds of skills.

The first kind is the kind where you just learn how to do it, and that's it, you got it down pretty much forever. Things like dancing, riding a bicycle or horse, baking a cake, etc.

The second kind is the kind where you practice and practice and practice, gradually getting better, depending on how dedicated you are to it. Things like golf, tennis, or playing a guitar.

Welding is the second kind.
    -Ruark
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with this comment. You can buy a nice Lincoln or Miller stick welder for about $200 and sell it later for the same $200. This way you won't lose anything and you don't even have to rent it. 313 are you from the D?