+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L14-30P, vs. L15-30P:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: L14-30P, vs. L15-30P:

Quote Originally Posted by smilindave View Post
    A chase nipple is a smooth throat threaded fitting with threads on one side and a flange of the size required to fit the hole.
    Regards
    Dave
    Hey thanks Dave. I'll grab a few of those tomorrow as I need to get by the supply house anyways.

I didn't install that cord myself. It was like that when the saw was purchased. I installed the L15-30 plug to show as reference to ensure I was on the same page as skilled electricians. I'd surmised I was incorrect and appreciate the guidance.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

Purchased a dozen each of L15-30P, and L15-30R from Amazon receiving on Friday afternoon. These are off brand but very high quality from OCS Parts. They came in quickly and I am quite pleased overall. I ordered on Jan 2nd, and received on Jan 6th so not bad. I've ordered from them in the past and been satisfied so pretty good people to deal with

https://www.amazon.com/OCSParts-L15-...ywords=L15-30R

https://www.amazon.com/OCSParts-L15-...ywords=L15-30P

Found a brand new package of T&B 1/2" cord grips on ebay for a really good price so got those acquired as they fit my 10/4AWG SO cord just fine:

Name:  Cord Grips.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  37.2 KB
    Name:  Cord Grips1.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  36.2 KB
    Name:  Cord Grips2.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  54.5 KB

Each machine will have a small "dongle" cord hanging from it with a male spade twist lock plug. This way I'll only carry a couple of extension cords with me to power any certain machine.
    Slob

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Looks good.

Willie
    Your advice and guidance at work.

Thanks,
    Slob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    What is the differences between these two items? (L14 vs L15)
    To answer the question of L14-30 vs L15-30, I have confirmed the difference. I have two different projects going, so I ordered both in both P(lug) and R(eceptacle)/C(onnector) varieties.

They look exactly the same but the purpose is different, so the wiring is different - one is for 240V single phase, the other is 240V 3 phase. The bent blade is Ground for both. For the remaining 3 blades, either 2 are hot or 3 are hot.

My orders were not arriving in the order that I could use for implementation, so I decided it didn't matter if I used L14 for L15 or vice version, since in my hand they all looked identical. Where I should have used L14, I wired up an L15 Connector (receptacle plug). When I tried an L14-30P, I found 3 blades fit but not the fourth. This is a good thing. It means that when implemented correctly I cannot plug a single phase device into a 3 phase outlet and fry my equipment or create a fire or health hazard.

Here is the detail on the L15 Pass & Seymour Connector that I used. You know how regular household outlets and plugs have one blade wider than the other? Same goes for L14 vs L15. One of the L14 hot blades is wider than L15. Maybe there is not as much danger trying the inverse of what I did - to plug 3 phase into single phase, because the device would only get 2 hots instead of the necessary 3 hots. But do not interchange their use, for at some point you will be tempted to grind the wider L14 blade so it fits into L15 and enable it to possibly plug into a true L15 3 phase.

6. Likes FlyFishn liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist