+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mailbox Post

Post Thanks / Like

Mailbox Post

Wooden mailbox post was rotting out so decided to practice with my new Hypertherm 30air and make a new one. Posts were band saw cut and bears were plasma. Welded with a original version Miller 211, .030 ER70-S6 wire. Did not use Autoset but settings were per the chart. 1/8" steel, sprayed cold galvanizing paint inside before I put on the end caps and painted outside with rattle cans. Covered part that will go into ground with asphalt sealant for roofing and gutters and let dry. I could not decide if I needed small air holes in the tubing would be better or worse for preventing internal for internal corrosion so I put in small holes just under the "T" joint in the back. Either way will probably outlast me.

Name:  IMG_4709[1].jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  63.4 KBName:  IMG_4774[1].jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  85.9 KBName:  IMG_4712[1].jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  58.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mailbox Post

In most places someone would STEAL any mail box post as nice as that one!

Post Thanks / Like

I like it. I'm going to have to do the same for my mailbox next spring, so I might steal your idea

Post Thanks / Like

Bears look good.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo2327 View Post
    I like it. I'm going to have to do the same for my mailbox next spring, so I might steal your idea
    No greater compliment than imitation. Thanks. //Shipj0//

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Bears look good.
    Thanks. Bear (on log) was a copy of a wooden bear on my neighbor's picket fence in his front yard and then I free handed the log underneath so it didn't look like it was floating in midair. Since the mailbox post is in his yard, asked if he would be ok if I copied it for the mailbox. Bear climbing was a silhouette photo from the internet that I scaled up with a pencil. Was supposed to be a Sow on a limb with a yearling cub climbing up behind but the cub somehow grew into a second year on the paper. I thought of painting the post white with some grey brown highlights like a birch tree but the red went with the trim on both our houses. //Shipj0//
    Last edited by Shipj0; 12-08-2016 at 12:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlaJoe View Post
    In most places someone would STEAL any mail box post as nice as that one!
    I have heard that a few times and always appreciate the compliment ... and sentiment. Hoping I planted it well enough to keep it buried. Not sure protecting your mailbox is a viable legal defense, even in Alaska. //Shipj0//
    Last edited by Shipj0; 12-08-2016 at 12:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My mother found two metal ornamental cranes about 3 feet high in antique shop and paid a couple of hundred dollars for them. They were stolen the first night after she put them out in her yard. Her church had some similar ones made out of brass or copper and they set them in concrete but thieves came in with a saw and cut them off at the legs. Their brass pump for their fountain was inside a small building with a locked door but thieves kicked in the door and stole the motor, the pump and all of the copper water lines and valves and all of the wiring.

They're having to put guards out around houses under construction around here every night because thieves will come in and strip all of the copper pipe, the wring, aluminium air conditioners, etc in a single night. I've had several friends that have had the brass radiators stolen right out of their trucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlaJoe View Post
    My mother found two metal ornamental cranes about 3 feet high in antique shop and paid a couple of hundred dollars for them. They were stolen the first night after she put them out in her yard. Her church had some similar ones made out of brass or copper and they set them in concrete but thieves came in with a saw and cut them off at the legs. Their brass pump for their fountain was inside a small building with a locked door but thieves kicked in the door and stole the motor, the pump and all of the copper water lines and valves and all of the wiring.

They're having to put guards out around houses under construction around here every night because thieves will come in and strip all of the copper pipe, the wring, aluminium air conditioners, etc in a single night. I've had several friends that have had the brass radiators stolen right out of their trucks.
    and if you or the police shoot them, its a big public trial and off to jail. Sad state of affairs for sure.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist