+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Examples of safety gear you wear and when you wear it

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Examples of safety gear you wear and when you wear it

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I just bought this 3m respirator it vents down, so I'm hoping it won't cause as much condensation on the inside of my welding helmets

I never thought of using the full face respirators for grinding I should buy one

I just saw the p100 2297 filters online, anyone know if these are better than the 2097 filters?
    The 2297's are a newer version and are supposed to be easier to breathe with. I have a set of the 2297's that I'm going to try when my current 2097's need to be replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    A few points here....

3. Facial hair is NEVER allowed by OSHA when using any tight fitting respirator - this means half masks or full face masks. You would be amazed what even a day or 2 of beard growth does to the fit that you get. It just kills the seal on the face. The only products you can wear that are OK with facial hair are called "loose fitting" headgear and they include hoods and some types of helmets. Typically with a PAPR or supplied air, and neither are cheap. Very nice to have and use, but not cheap. Shave or pay, those tend to be the choices.

Any more questions, let me know...
    -Dave
    This is true...Alot of oil companies now wont hire you or let you work on certain sites if you have facial hair.
    '82 SA 200
    Ranger 8
    HH 140EZ
    Ironman 230

Post Thanks / Like

Same also applies for firefighting.

As for all the "reader glasses" posted, those really don't qualify as safety glasses. Now, prescription safety glasses have a stamping in the lens. My last pair has a "WM+" stamped in the corner of the lenses. Also, they have side shields on them. If I do not where the side shields, it is considered not wearing safety glasses.

I went back to wearing contacts last week after my last pair of prescription safety glasses gave up the ghost. I have a pair of these on order.

The ones I got, the main lenses are tinted green, and the flip down are shade 5.
    RGL Motorsports LLC

Post Thanks / Like

I was told years ago not to wear contact lenses while welding .was told that they may stick to your eyes.

The wheat fields of Kansas,in a large metal building
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    I was told years ago not to wear contact lenses while welding .was told that they may stick to your eyes.
    I have heard that too, old wives tale. I have been wearing contacts for 35+ years and welding all along. A good friend is an ophthalmologist, he confirmed this long ago.
    Steve from SoCal now in Hutch

Miller Dynasty 300DX Coolmate3 Speedway Torch
    Miller XMT 450 MPa plus with D-74 MPa Plus
    Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    And a whole bunch of machines

Post Thanks / Like

Same with campfires.....

I went back to prescription safety glasses because the cheap form fitting safety glasses fog up too easily. I have to have some sort of ventilation, especially under a welding helmet.
    RGL Motorsports LLC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    When working, this was everyday! Hard hat, life jacket, safety glasses, rigging belt with harness.
    Which one of those guys are you, if I had to guess the one on the right supervising.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I haven't had experience with the fibermetal helmets, but I think it would fit
    That setup fits well under a pipeliner. I haven't chopped anything off mine and have no issues. I would imagine chopping one would give more room?

There is slight interference with my Viking 2450, but not enough to prevent using.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe
    Bunch of other metal cutting tools

Post Thanks / Like

I received some Jackson V60 Nemesis RX safety glasses at work. These lenses have a small bifocal area so that while you can wear them all the time, you can also look down and use the bifocal as needed. While they fit well and are nice and clear for now, I found that using the bifocal portion was not comfortable for me. I am used to wearing reading glasses with a larger viewing area so am not used to what I consider the tiny viewing area.

Name:  DSCF1649.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  45.6 KB

After looking on Amazon for full lens safety glasses that also magnify, I found two companies that seemed to be worth checking out. Each set of glasses were only $8-9 or so, so I decided to order 1.5 and 2.0 diopters from both companies.

The Elvex RX-500C look much like the Jacksons and some other safety glasses I have worn. The magnifying area doesn't actually encompass the whole lens, but probably 80%. These are lightweight and felt comfortable while grinding and fit under the welding hood with no problem.
    Name:  DSCF1650.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  48.6 KB

The Pyramex Emerge are a little beefier and the whole lens has the magnifying portion. I also wore these while grinding and while welding with no problem.
    Name:  DSCF1651.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  65.6 KB

After having worn regular Wal-mart special reading glasses and having them scattered throughout the shop, I am much happier now that I have some real safety glasses. If you need a magnifier or reader, you will do well to get either brand and for only $8-9 and free shipping from Amazon, there is no reason not t have some.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

The company I work for actually has several cattle ranches, about 15,000 head. All of the cowboys have to go through MSHA training.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    6 Miller Big Blue 600 Air Paks
    2 Miller 400D
    6 Lincoln LN-25's
    4 Miller Xtreme 12VS
    2 Miller Dimension 812
    4 Climax BW-3000Z bore welders
    Hypertherm 65 and 85
    Bug-O Track Bug
    Pair of Welpers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ExpatWelder View Post
    The company I work for actually has several cattle ranches, about 15,000 head. All of the cowboys have to go through MSHA training.
    No body wants to face why people are getting hurt on the job like crazy. It is because no one cares about the product or themselves. If you cared about yourself or your family in anyway you would not agree to pay taxes. You would have at least done a little observation of the damage that taxes cause a country if you cared.

Young people on the job have been told by their parents that if they do not have a degree they are garbage, so they never respected what you can do with tools and knowhow. They do not understand their tools because they think low life sorts use tools, so there is no way they can understand how their tools might injure themselves or others.
    Most of us could not wait to get our first sawsall, cutting torch or grinder. We are not stupid we just did not want to become doctors because we did not want to cut someone open without the proper education, which you cannot get in school anymore anyway. Most of us did not want to become engineers because you cannot learn to become an engineer in school anymore.

Most people that get hurt on the job tend to start paying attention. They start to ask about tools they are going to use rather than to act like they already know. That injury tends to kill the ego.

If you ever saw me use a grinder with no face shield or goggles you would assume I was insane. However after forty plus years of using grinding tools, I still have my vision and I have never been hurt badly. The few times I was hurt it was the personal protection equipment that hurt me.

Young people see me and I always explain why I can use the tool like that. Then they get it. They realize that I know before I touch that machine to the work where the sparks will go. Where if the wheel shatters it can fly. I go in to tight places make one quick cut, exactly where it should be made. Other people put on a ton of PPE, they cannot see, they cannot operate the tool with gloves properly, and they cause the wheel to shatter, or catch a piece of metal and toss it across the room. Because they are not comfortable, they are not stable, and they are a danger.

Over the years I have told the OSHA inspector, that I am going to throw down my goggles and disconnect from my harness, and usually because they are watching me they say ok. Even though I am 40 stories up. We are not fools, we move the scaffolding on the outside of the building in front of the opening so that if I fall there is scaffolding and guys there to catch me.

But the gear is just too dangerous in many cases. I used to work without a safety harness for years and years. So I know that when someone falls or gets hurt they were just not there mentally. That is what this PPE is promoting.

I will not wear gloves when working with metal. I have been skewed by metal several times. When you have no gloves you figure out how to get your hand off the metal with the least pain and the most speed. When it goes through your glove, you do not even know in most cases what or where it is. The same is true of large wooden splinters from pallets, chocks and floor joists.

If I am working with chemicals I might not have a choice, not to wear gloves. But I will use the utmost in caution, when working with metal, or wooden pallets. I lay the pallet down instead of tossing it. You have to be insanely careful when wearing gloves, and shoveling with a wooden or fiber handled shovel, into mixers, or other hydraulic machines. The reason is that your glove might be stuck to the shovel already and you will not even know, until the machine grabs your shovel, then it is too late.

When they said that you have to do something according to some man written procedure, you do not even need to see if it is good or bad, it is bad. It will cause more injury and death than it will prevent. If you need your job so bad that you cannot tell the boss to go F off, you are not a man and very frankly you deserve getting hurt. If you need OSHA to tell your boss or explain to you what is dangerous and not dangerous, again you deserve to get hurt and die. OSHA cannot face the big issues that cause death anyway so you are doomed haha.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roythayer View Post
    This is true...Alot of oil companies now wont hire you or let you work on certain sites if you have facial hair.
    Those are probably H2S plants/locations.
    I work on an offshore gasproduction platform, we don`t have H2S gas present in the natural gas from our wells.
    So facial hair is allowed.

Another platform from the same company is 3 miles away, they do have H2S gas.
    And facial hair is not allowed over there, because there is a chance that you might need a Full face mask with a H2S filter in case of an incident.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    [Trolling]
    Good one!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to admit TheToob scared me into being more safety conscious as did shop sites like this where some guy shows half a cutoff wheel buried in his nose or thigh.
    I quit smoking several years ago so the least little bit of contaminate irritates me bad. I run fans and or 3M 2297 to avoid it.
    I'm still terrible about hand protection. I hate every glove I ever met.I like face shields and aprons and wear a Hypertherm 8 flip down for when I'm tacking 50 feet from my hood.
    I found these on here ? This is your way around glasses and facial hair. I'm sure there are imitations by now.Maybe even better made ?
    https://www.amazon.com/Resp-O-Rator-.../dp/B002KA0CMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav129 View Post

As for all the "reader glasses" posted, those really don't qualify as safety glasses. Now, prescription safety glasses have a stamping in the lens. My last pair has a "WM+" stamped in the corner of the lenses. Also, they have side shields on them. If I do not where the side shields, it is considered not wearing safety glasses.

I went back to wearing contacts last week after my last pair of prescription safety glasses gave up the ghost. I have a pair of these on order.

The ones I got, the main lenses are tinted green, and the flip down are shade 5.
    Mine are 5 on top and scrip bi-focal below. They're great. I wish the nose pieces were adjustable

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I cover my Crokz with cardboard when I use a cutting torch.

Post Thanks / Like

i ALWAYS have safety glasses on when on the job. a lot of welders take them off when their hood is down but i never do, and i weld just fine.

face shields are hit and miss with me. i tolerate the flip shield that attaches to my hard-hat when im stuck in a spot where sparks will get my face , or when im using a cutoff wheel. and really, thats just because i hate the way that the dust makes my skin feel. i have yet to have a "glad i had my face shield on" moment other than being thankful for not having abrasive dust in the collar of my shirt.

i should wear a respirator but never do.

i dont step out of the truck without long sleeves. ever.

i feel that safety glasses are the most important and most ignored piece of the safety puzzle. they dont often save lives, but they do prevent a whole lot of grief.
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav129 View Post

Yup. I had mine scripped.The 18" super focus-small print is extra wide. Get your nose ready tho. HEAVY bassidz
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 05-26-2017 at 06:56 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist