Thread: Hot/Cold Arc welding with new Power Pro 256Si

Post Thanks / Like

Hot/Cold Arc welding with new Power Pro 256Si

I am working on a welding table project using a full sheet of 3/4 plate, 4 inch Sched 80 pipe for legs and 3 inch Sched 80 pipe for braces. While welding the braces, I have been finding that i have to keep adjusting the amp input up or down as the rod sticks or starts burning the pipe. I have set the arc force at a variety of settings as well trying to find the sweet spot. I have some gaps to fill as well and finding the heat range to be able to bridge the gaps has been difficult; just when i get a setting that seems to work, when starting again with a new rod, I have issues as stated. I am using a new 5 pound can of 1/8 Lincoln 7018, and amp settings have ranged from 125 to 165 looking for the right range. Is there a possible issue with my machine that could be causing this issue? My welding skills are rusty but this has never been an issue in the past on other equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hot/Cold Arc welding with new Power Pro 256Si

Fill gaps with 6010 then run over with 7018 is what I'd do. Although I'm not a welder yet by any means
    -Everlast PowerArc 280 STH
    -Hypertherm Powermax 30 XP

Post Thanks / Like

how big are the gaps? Pics?

Post Thanks / Like

Gaps were huge.....I did figure out some position issues and managed to run some welds with 6011. My chart says 6011 is an AC rod, but my machine will not SMAW in AC. It ran so so but I did get my braces installed, now on to wheels and getting it flipped over. Thanks for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing is that the local welding supply place has very limited inventory. Also my 7018 is not in an oven (though it feels like one sometimes here) so that might have been part of it. The 6011 I got from them was a 5 pound bundle in saran wrap......I found a Korean owned ship supply store that has a lot of stuff and way cheaper so they are my new best friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shimanek View Post
    Gaps were huge......
    Bigger than the rod? Twice the rod size?

Post Thanks / Like

Ya 7018 too schlumpy for huge gaps. In open butt pipe welding in root pass is 6010 and sometimes hot pass too and then 7018 has a nice solid platform to run on
    -Everlast PowerArc 280 STH
    -Hypertherm Powermax 30 XP

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

If the gap is too large, the arc force would be kicking in and out and the unit may be sensing the gap as a break in the arc and kicking in the hot start as well.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

With the thickness of the base material, no gap is too big to fill with 7018, assuming you are going uphill. 165A is WAY too high for 1/8" rod, uphill. The important thing is DO NOT STOP the pass, and yes, rod burn changes as the rod shortens especially uphill. I would suggest starting at around 110A with a little preheat. 165A is 5A OVER the recommended max for Excalibur.