+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Control

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Traffic Control

Idiot drivers + "all season tires" + going TOO FAST FOR CONDITIONS. If they hit that truck they can be cited for speeding, reckless driving and a whole lot more if they hurt the worker.

if there was ANY other obstruction in the road, the morons would still crash. What is someone had a flat tire, a tree branch, a garbage can blown into the road, a wire down, etc.

If the road has snow on it you all bitch, if the truck plows when you say there's not enough snow, you bitch because they are "wasting your tax dollars."

It's easy to complain when you don't have a damn clue of real life and what it takes to keep roads cleared. Typical, spontaneous instant gratification mentality. You think the plow/salt truck is just sitting there with their thumb up their @$$ waiting for some "taxpayer" to complain their road isn't clean and dry. You're the same jerk who rides their bumper then tries to overtake them.

Yeah, you hit a real sore spot...
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Ryan, I think you used to drive a plow like me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Post Thanks / Like

I have the utmost respect for the people that keep our roads cleared. We just need less idiots on the road.
    Regards
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 2003 chevy duramax crew cab dully, a big heavy truck 4 x4..when the roads are like that I go nice and slow, I cant count the times I get passed by with people driving this little POS cars,and at the next sharp bend in the road all those turds are tangled up in the guard rail wire..too funny...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Union workers, what do you expect?
    Is Comcast organized? I'm almost positive that aren't here locally. Wonder if they could have put their hooks on, climbed the pole and left their trucks in a drive way?

Oh and I'm in agreement, drivers traveling to fast, blind hill. Just a bad situation all around.
    Last edited by hillbillyfab; 12-29-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of idiots in that video, the first being the guy running the camera. Then there is the gal not dressed for the weather, the folks driving to fast, the idiot blocking the road, the real stupid guy in the black truck who looks to me like he gave it more fuel while in the last yard, and somebody who thinks he is going to go up in a truck bucket when cars are crashing all around him. Pretty typical actually.

Post Thanks / Like

The youtuber posted these thoughts in the subheading/ comment section:-
    ~~~
    Published on Dec 13, 2016
    Filmed - 12/13/16

UPDATE PLEASE READ: I wanted to clear up many questions and concerns people have had. The cops were called immediately after the first slide off. I called them personally myself and they were called again after the collision. They arrived around 30-40 minutes after the collision.

After the first Comcast truck appeared and the first slide off happened, we went to the top of the hill and slowed down traffic as much as we could.

The first Comcast truck then left the scene. You can see me at the top of the hill when he passes on the left of me. I retrieved some yard signs to act as warnings and was at the top of the hill when the second truck arrived. I then had the conversation with the second Comcast worker. The individuals that slid off were asking what he said and I went down to tell them. This is when the second truck pulled into the same location placing four cones down. Moments later the accident happened.

My wife was in the front yard taking coffee and hot chocolate orders for the people stuck from the slide offs. After she was almost hit, I was obviously more agitated. Then is when I talked to the worker again and then one of the drivers that slid off moved the yard signs to block the road and redirect traffic around a community.

Just to review:
    - I did call the police
    - I did help slow down traffic
    - Some drivers were going too fast for conditions
    - The truck that hit the car was going way too fast and ran off after the accident
    - I did not film this to try and get anyone fired
    - I did not upload this to try and make it go viral
    - I contacted Comcast about the situation before uploading the video.
    - I let Comcast know I had additional footage
    - UPDATED: Comcast has contacted me to apologize today 12/15/16
    - Threats have been turned over to the police and will continue to be

There is much more video that shows all of what I explained that is not in this short 3 min piece. I was concerned for everyone's safety including the workers. Everyone needs to realize that this took place in about an hour time span. You are seeing a small window of it. To call for the heads of the workers, drivers, or us documenting it is just wrong. Please stay safe out there... SLOW DOWN... and have a Merry Christmas.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy

If the school buses had been victims - this incident would have
    lead the news - and Comcast would be apologizing to the Nation.

I believe: the 'Basic Rule' of driving [safe speed per conditions],
    also extends to 'static drivers' - that present an 'ambush hazard'.

The Comcast tech should have his driver's license neutered . . .

Opus

Last edited by OPUS FERRO; 12-29-2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: louder thought . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Earning a living on the road blocking traffic is way too stressful for me. On the few times I've had to do it it is genuinely terrifying! Even a low traffic, supposedly low speed road, unloading a tractor from a trailer. I've experienced it many times. I believe some drivers speed up! It occurs to me it's the alpha drivers in very expensive vehicles who are the worst.

When I'm driving down a road on a tractor, some drivers approaching from behind definitely speed up! I believe it's a game to see how close they can get to me at 70 MPH! All the flashing lights, and slow moving vehicle signs are useless. I have discovered a trick. A branch with some waving in the wind leaves sticking out an extra foot to the left side of the tractor works well! For reasons I can't explain, drivers will steer a wide birth, or slow down before passing. I drive in the right hand lane as I would in a car until an approaching driver slows to my speed, then move to the break down lane. Too many drivers have no concern for human life, not theirs, those impeding traffic, or oncoming drivers.

In the video it is obvious the road is very slippery. Where I live this would cause Comcast, and or police to use extra measures to slow drivers. In what world would several cars off the road, a storm, and utility workers restoring service not be sufficient to slow drivers down? Is there a state where ALL drivers are mentally handicapped?

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope the bloke with the camera passed the video on to the insurance companies of the damaged cars, drivers and passengers whom might have hurt, and home owners whom ended up with cars in their front yards.

Nothing speaks louder than money disappearing out of the pocket when it comes to improving safety culture. Particularly in the sue happy culture over there!

Post Thanks / Like

Common sense with those in the ditch was lacking ,to say the least (along with stupidity) Always nice to put the blame on someone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    Common sense with those in the ditch was lacking ,to say the least (along with stupidity) Always nice to put the blame on someone else.
    Couldn't agree more, and unfortunately in many cases all it takes is a lawyer to make them into "innocent victims" that deserve compensation.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

It's called ice, and it gets a little slippery. I can't believe the people here blaming the workers, working in a very dangerous situation. Everyone wants their cable TV NOW, but have no clue as what it takes to get it to them. Plus, wasn't the first guy working on a phone line box? Heaven forbid if someone lost their internet, but seriously what if someone need to dial 911, and the phone was down. And why would people who drive to fast for the slippery road pay attention to more cones, or any other warning signs placed at the top of the hill?

Post Thanks / Like

As always there's the letter of the law, then there is common sense that says there may be additional measures required in any given situation. When it becomes obvious that you are being overrun by idiots then you need to implement those additional measures or evacuate. Wouldn't have taken much more to place additional warning cones further down the road. Did they have to, probably not by law, depending on the state and county. Would it make sense, yes. I do it all the time. Read the road, read the traffic and act accordingly within reason. Think is the key word here, think. Of course you could always do no more than required. Lots of folks go through life that way, no more than required. Don't have to think that way, just memorize the rules.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of blame and bad driving in this video.

But, when I drove heavy wreckers and semi's we were trained that we had to put out our triangles/flares at the top of any hill that would block the oncoming traffics view of us either broke down or hooking up a vehicle.

Until now, I've always thought this was common training.

I don't miss laying under vehicles with traffic zipping by - nerve wracking.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Speeding idiots were at fault (easy example of how they were at fault would be if something else not under any humans control was blocking the road...they were going too fast and following too close period). Still would have put out further notice on the road if it were me. I probably would have started with road flares at the top of the hill...mostly to keep any of the idiot drivers from killing me. Regs would have been for the comcast guy to have more cones out and further up the hill...but I always feel for those guys when they've been working for 28hrs straight during the storms, so I'd cut him quite a bit of slack on just wanting to get done and get out of there.

--Wintermute
    "No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
    www.improvised-engineering.com
    Manufacturer Agnostic:
    Blood----------Sweat---------Tears
    ----|------------------|----------------|----
    Lincoln Red, Miller Blue, Esab Yellow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Is there a state where ALL drivers are mentally handicapped?
    Willie
    Ever been to California? I grew up there...pretty sure all drivers there are handicapped mentally.

--Wintermute
    Manufacturer Agnostic:

Post Thanks / Like

I bet both those guys at Comcast got fired, or at least should be. They should have sent a worker up the hill after the first crash. that was crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    I bet both those guys at Comcast got fired, or at least should be. They should have sent a worker up the hill after the first crash. that was crazy.

They should be given medals for having to deal with stupid people who can't /shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

There could have been ice only in that spot for all we know. And no construction men working ahead sign. After that many wrecks it time to send somone up the road and he wasn't even concernd. He should be fired

Post Thanks / Like

Hill+ snow or ice+ Panic break= tires lockup and get out of control

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Motolife, they needed signage. I would not have worked at that location without at least one sign at the top of the hill. Especially with those road conditions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Everlast Powertig 250 EX, with #17 Air cooled and #18 Water cooled torch's
    No Water Cooler Yet
    Lincoln 180C Mig
    Old Sears 250 AMP Buzz Box
    Hobart AirForce 40i Plasma Cutter
    Oxy Acetylene Setup

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, the drivers were idiots...and you can't fix stupid with signs or laws....
    Manufacturer Agnostic:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Hill+ snow or ice+ Panic break= tires lockup and get out of control
    Well if you can't figure the first two out in this statement,(Hill+ snow or ice) I doubt very much that you could figure the last two are likely something one should be aware of!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the driver in the old truck was an idiot not paying attention

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist