Thread: Follow the money

Post Thanks / Like

Follow the money

Looking to get on the road and travel. Any body know a recruiter?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Follow the money

i never traveled the way i think you mean, but is a recruiter like/same as a broker?

Post Thanks / Like

Tradesmen International isn't the highest paying company, but its still better money than shop work. They have local offices everywhere. I was making $30/70 at one long term project working 60 hour weeks. Another one i did for them was $28/110 with DT sundays.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, thanks for the feedback. Never new tradesmen international had local offices, I will have to pull up one day.
    As far as the money those hours, and per firm is what I'm looking for.
    Of course the experience to..

Post Thanks / Like

I worked for tradesman for 5 years as a precision millwright/welder. Lowest year was 120k

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Some other ones are Pro Energy, PCL, Bechtel, KBR, Zachary, Fluor. The most comprehensive list of the biggest contractor will probably be on www.industrialprojectsreport.com under the hot jobs tab. You don't have to pay for anything to see the hotsheet.

Www.roadtechs.com tend to be crappy jobs, but every once in awhile you'll see something worth doing.

Www.roaddogjobs.com has a lot of listings, but I haven't pulled one from there yet.

Post Thanks / Like

The recruiter would be someone out of human recources or someone you would get in contact with from a staffing agency.. Somethin like that..

Post Thanks / Like

Other than finding the jobs, how does one go about doing the jobs? A truck with tools? Basically the logistics of being a contractor.

Is it basically a mobile welder or a rig welder?
    Last edited by Gustav129; 01-09-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    RGL Motorsports #129
    RL Ironworks - Random side stuff....

Post Thanks / Like

It's usually called either a rig welder or single hand welder. Rig welders have a truck with machine and all their own tools. They usually work on pipeline. Single hand welders just have basic welding tools and usually their own tig torch, cable with power block, flow meter, and a stinger.

I've never been a rig welder so don't know how their hiring process goes, but for single hand, you get in touch with the recruiter (term used with larger companies that actually have a titled position for that) or whoever is running the hiring process which could be a foreman or QC guy on smaller companies. If they think you have enough experience, they'll set you up with a weld test at a location of their choice. Could be on site or at a testing facility. Some jobs will do a background check, or might even require a TWIC card to work there. Most will drug test and if all those pass, you get to start working.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, and after you get in working somewhere, get to know the other welders to start networking. The best jobs usually come from word of mouth from other welders. So if you're about to finish a job up or tired of being there, you can start checking around with other guys if they know who's hiring.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BLUECOLLAR;8053371]The recruiter would be someone out of human recources or someone you would get in contact with from a staffing agency.. Somethin like that..[/QUOTE

the definition of the word recruit must have changed since i went to school then

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    It's usually called either a rig welder or single hand welder. Rig welders have a truck with machine and all their own tools. They usually work on pipeline. Single hand welders just have basic welding tools and usually their own tig torch, cable with power block, flow meter, and a stinger.

I've never been a rig welder so don't know how their hiring process goes, but for single hand, you get in touch with the recruiter (term used with larger companies that actually have a titled position for that) or whoever is running the hiring process which could be a foreman or QC guy on smaller companies. If they think you have enough experience, they'll set you up with a weld test at a location of their choice. Could be on site or at a testing facility. Some jobs will do a background check, or might even require a TWIC card to work there. Most will drug test and if all those pass, you get to start working.

Nice thanks for the info! What you describe how single hand welder operates is what I was imagining, and something I might consider doing. That's a start to look into.
    RGL Motorsports #129
    RL Ironworks - Random side stuff....

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=123weld;8056771]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECOLLAR View Post
    The recruiter would be someone out of human recources or someone you would get in contact with from a staffing agency.. Somethin like that..[/QUOTE

the definition of the word recruit must have changed since i went to school then
    Its recruit because they usually have some knowledge of the trade they are finding workers for. Welding tests cost money so they aren't going to just let everyone who says they can weld take a test. They need to be able to tell based on an interview and resume that you have the specific experience for the work they are doing at the time. That doesn't mean they always know what they are doing though. I had a dick head recruiter for CB&I tell me i don't have enough experience on schedule 10 stainless and wouldn't get me a weld test. He didn't see me specify it on my resume, because I do so many different materials and schedules on jobs that is ridiculous to sit there and list them all for every job. I actually just took a sched 10 stainless test and passed about a week before this and invited him to call the testing facility to check but he wouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

yea, i guess you guys are about right. to me a recruiter meant someone who approaches you, or seeks you for a job or position, specifically "draws you in". everytime i hear the word, it reminds me of a excavation/tractor job i did for a irs auditer in the early 90s. i had no idea this guy was irs, till we were talking/bs-ing after the job. i about **** a brick when he told me, he had just handed me a check. he was cool though, and nearing retirement. what he told me was, he was a straight "a" student his freshmen year in college. he had no intentions of being irs. but back then (late 50s), the irs recruited some of there people. this is what the offer/deal was: drop outa school, and come to our irs school, so we can teach you the way we want you to learn, and we'll immediatlystart paying you 40g a year (if i remeber right), which was big dough back then, and quite alluring to avg. struggling college student. so he said he didn't have to think about it much, he took it, and got married right away. , he knew the people really don't deserve to be raped the way they are buy the gov., he told me one time he got chased w/ a hammer by someone he was auditing.

Post Thanks / Like

BFA- im a young welder fresh out of trade school i got about a year in the shop mig welding aluminum awnings. about another 6 months on a pontoon with a lincoln ranger repairing floating docks. What positions should i be looking for??? helper or welder???? i can pass any structural stick test or flux core test. just wondering how to get my foot in the door?? how long was you welding before you where able to get on the road????

Post Thanks / Like

you can pass any structural test and have a whole year and a half practical experience. ok fine. let me play devil's advocate for a sec; can you run a torch on corroded iron while standing on a shaky scaffold 10 floors up, lay out a welding job on rusted bent iron, how much experience you have on an air arc gouger? rigging? knot tying? if an employer put you in his shop can you use the overhead crane to hold a beam while you punch holes with the ironworker. you can set one up right? will you get mad and quit when the boss puts you in the yard slapping red lead on the fabricated steel for 6 months? how about going for coffee and swamping out the nasty crapper?
    it's great you want to get out there and show them what you got. how to get your foot in the door? go on every local job interview you can while building your resume on the job you already have. tell the boss when there's no welding work you will sweep the floor and paint the office. go to night school to learn more about the trade. buy every book you can find on welding/ironwork and devour them 24/7. when you find a decent gig pester the older men with questions and look over their shoulders. this is what i did in the beginning. you can do it too.
    Last edited by docwelder; 01-21-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

With all do respect, sir. Na but am i willing to learn? you already know. Got into a lil bit of license trouble and am about 2,500 deep in the hole until i get my license back. trying to get to a shipyard where lodging is close. Maybe ride my bike or somethin.