Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for use of a 25 ton edwards ironworker

Post Thanks / Like

Ideas for use of a 25 ton edwards ironworker

I have an ironworker. Outside the normal available dies and accessories what creative ways are y'all using your ironworker? I only use if for occasionally punching holes. I have the oversize die holder assembly. However, I have nothing on the open station. Its shearing and braking capacity offer nothing over my other available options. Just looking for ways to make it more useful??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ideas for use of a 25 ton edwards ironworker

The coping dies for pipe or tube work good. The die for coping corners on angle or channels works good. I used a bending brake die, and found it kind of useless due to the small size it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Piranha has some good videos on you tube of things you can do outside shearing and punching. That might get your wheels turning
    - Christian M.
    C3 Welding & Fabrication
    - CNC Plasma Cutting
    -Mobile Welding
    -Custom welding and fab
    www.c3welding.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. The bar brake/bender looks like one idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 65Ton Scotchman with an angle iron shear, a punch station with over 30 dies and punches, a tubing notcher, and a 24" shear blade.
    I made a new table top for my punch station, so that I can have an adjustable straight edge behind the punch and the depth can always the same.
    I added an angle iron straight edge by my shear with measurements scribed on it so that I can mark and cut multiple parts without having to pull the work piece all the way out of the machine.
    I added a 110v edison outlet on the side of my machine and have some magnetic work lights that I can spotlight the cut marks with.

When I bought my machine used, it came with some extra parts that I have no idea what they are for. I think part of the beauty of the ironworker machine is that you can adapt it to do the job you want. I think the extra parts were for a specific job and some guy decided to make a jig/table/part to do that thing.

I kinda dig that part of it.

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Elliott View Post
    I have a 65Ton Scotchman with an angle iron shear, a punch station with over 30 dies and punches, a tubing notcher, and a 24" shear blade.
    I made a new table top for my punch station, so that I can have an adjustable straight edge behind the punch and the depth can always the same.
    I added an angle iron straight edge by my shear with measurements scribed on it so that I can mark and cut multiple parts without having to pull the work piece all the way out of the machine.
    I added a 110v edison outlet on the side of my machine and have some magnetic work lights that I can spotlight the cut marks with.

When I bought my machine used, it came with some extra parts that I have no idea what they are for. I think part of the beauty of the ironworker machine is that you can adapt it to do the job you want. I think the extra parts were for a specific job and some guy decided to make a jig/table/part to do that thing.

I kinda dig that part of it.

Right on!!!! I keep trying to find an ironworker myself... no luck yet...

You know what this thread needs???? Pictures!!!! lots of em

Post Thanks / Like

It’s too cold out to take current photos so here are random shots of my mechanical Pendinghaus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

9. Likes ronsii, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And my hydraulic “baby” Mubea I just sold

:

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You have a hydraulic power supply there, just build something to power off your little unit..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    You have a hydraulic power supply there, just build something to power off your little unit..
    Not that easy plus the hydraulic unit is sold and wouldn't have had enough capacity.

I like the mechanical. Way faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Not that easy plus the hydraulic unit is sold and wouldn't have had enough capacity.

I like the mechanical. Way faster

Simple with my 65 ton Edwards, and simple enough with a 25 ton.. I like the safety of a good hydraulic Iron worker.. Speed is not your friend when your fingers are involved Mine cycles plenty fast, and stroke control can help even more.. I like that it weighs 4000 pounds, so it has some good heft to it 24" inch shear that does a great job and is it's best feature Anything less just does not cut it. Not sure if you can stage the work like a good hydraulic, but if you can't sneak up on things, it would be worthless to me..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Simple with my 65 ton Edwards, and simple enough with a 25 ton.. I like the safety of a good hydraulic Iron worker.. Speed is not your friend when your fingers are involved Mine cycles plenty fast, and stroke control can help even more.. I like that it weighs 4000 pounds, so it has some good heft to it 24" inch shear that does a great job and is it's best feature Anything less just does not cut it. Not sure if you can stage the work like a good hydraulic, but if you can't sneak up on things, it would be worthless to me..
    With the Pendinghaus it has a function whereby you can lower the punch manually to line up the punch’s dimple with your center punch mark or scribed lines.

:

17. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like there is a work around then. I generally stage the punch into the divot, and punch from there.Using only the ft.control. I can knock out a pattern really fast.. Since a lot of times I mark with a cnc plasma,and have gotten the divot size just perfect for the punch point. (zero slop)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt mechanical is more dangerous. When I got mine I was punching metal and had my hand between the stripper and the material. I was able to experience the force it took to clear a 1/8 plate off a punch.

For production stuff it is hard to beat them. It is not really made for trimming small parts or punching a single small plate. Punching /shearing 20 foot stock is fast.

Here are some material stops I made for my Bateman. The platform was made to be adjustable since any height difference will produce curved material. The punch station stop is peeking up from the slot. The shear stop is hinged and countered weighted so the sheared material falls easily and does not wedge. The strippers are attached to the die plate. The original design had strippers attached to the machine chassis. The machine is too violent for that location and there is limited adjustability.

Notice the bronze on the die holder. I ran out of options. The screw wears and strips periodically. I finally ran out of material to tap. So I brazed a nut on.

Forgot to rotate.sorry. well cannot get the to rotate. Keep coming out 180 degrees off.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by tapwelder; 12-12-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My self I used unit punches on simple hydraulic press. It prim job was forming flat bar 10 x ¾
    A iron worker may not best tool for some shops.
    I never own one as it just not a good tool for my work.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    No doubt mechanical is more dangerous. When I got mine I was punching metal and had my hand between the stripper and the material. I was able to experience the force it took to clear a 1/8 plate off a punch.

For production stuff it is hard to beat them. It is not really made for trimming small parts or punching a single small plate. Punching /shearing 20 foot stock is fast.

Here are some material stops I made for my Bateman. The platform was made to be adjustable since any height difference will produce curved material. The punch station stop is peeking up from the slot. The shear stop is hinged and countered weighted so the sheared material falls easily and does not wedge. The strippers are attached to the die plate. The original design had strippers attached to the machine chassis. The machine is too violent for that location and there is limited adjustability.

Notice the bronze on the die holder. I ran out of options. The screw wears and strips periodically. I finally ran out of material to tap. So I brazed a nut on.

Forgot to rotate.sorry. well cannot get the to rotate. Keep coming out 180 degrees off.

Post Thanks / Like

One local uses their cnc brake press to create louvers. They remove a remove a few fingers and insert a die set assembly, then manually punch panels on the 20 foot brake press. The panels are less than a foot wide.

Post Thanks / Like

Ideas for use of a 25 ton edwards ironworker

One local uses their cnc brake press to create louvers. They remove a remove a few fingers and insert a die set assembly, then manually punch panels on the 20 foot brake press. The panels are less than a foot wide.
    I love louvers.

I had a local speed shop punch the new engine compartment covers I formed for my excavator....

I may make a set of louvre dies some day. Have you seen how much they want for a set????

Edit. Shoot. I posted the wrong pic This one show the louvers on other side.

Last edited by Lis2323; 12-13-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    :

23. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love louvers.

I may make a set of louvre dies some day. Have you seen how much they want for a set????

That kinda looks like artwork

Something like that belongs in the Louvre or a museum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    That kinda looks like artwork

Something like that belongs in the Louvre or a museum
    LOLOL!!!

:

26. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KQRqKm59M388fX9e7

This is a stop I made for s specific job. It is on my 25 ton edwards. It got me through the job. But has a flaw that became more pronounced when I attempted to use it again. It has been dissambled and may someday be improved.

My edwards 25 ton is 2013 model. It doesn't have enough clearance for an elevated table. Thus it is limited in how close the intervals you can punch.

Post Thanks / Like

I love louvers.

What was that saying? "Louvers are for lovers"?
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    What was that saying? "Louvers are for lovers"?
    LOL

:

Post Thanks / Like

I have an ironworker. Outside the normal available dies and accessories what creative ways are y'all using your ironworker? I only use if for occasionally punching holes. I have the oversize die holder assembly. However, I have nothing on the open station. Its shearing and braking capacity offer nothing over my other available options. Just looking for ways to make it more useful??
    I have the 25 ton as well. I wish I had the coper/notcher instead of the shear on it.

The shear is almost impossible to see the blade, and I normally cut by eye to a mark.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

31. Likes Lis2323, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I have the 25 ton as well. I wish I had the coper/notcher instead of the shear on it.

The shear is almost impossible to see the blade, and I normally cut by eye to a mark.

I have 2 others Ironworkers with shears.They each have a table and straight edge. A stop is set up a measures distance from the blade. Neiither is easy to see the material. Cannot even accurately judge the alignment of the material mark and the blade.

I have a angle iron notcher on a larger ironworker. It is nice to be able to trim.

I have a tube notcher. I never use it.

I also made a swagger for cable in cable rail. I think swagging cable may be obsolete practice with newer connectors?

Ultimately it would be nice to have 1 unit to combine all functions. I have a 18, 25, and 50 ton ironworker. The 18 ton does 90 percent of the work. The 50 maybe 1 percent work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post

Same here. Great for quick repetitive lopping to length with a stop though.

:

34. Likes ronsii liked this post