+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oxy-Acetylene set up or Hypertherm powermax 30xp

Post Thanks / Like

Oxy-Acetylene set up or Hypertherm powermax 30xp

I have a Hobart handler 140 that I got 6 months ago and I can lay down a pretty good bead. I am working on a 5x3 welding table right know. This spring I am going to start to make a good amount of stuff to sell, like fire pits, end tables, railings, and a lot of other things. Also I would be doing custom work for people. So my question is should I get an oxy-acetylene set up or hypertherm powermax 30xp. I may be getting a used miler bobcat 250 in 1-2 years and would have it on a trailer along with my other tools.

-Hobart Handler 140
    -Dewalt 14 inch chop saw
    -Milwaukee 7 amp 4 1/2" grinder
    -Harbor Freight 12 speed 10 inch drill press

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oxy-Acetylene set up or Hypertherm powermax 30xp

I think ya need both really, because you get alot of extra versatility with the oxy rig for heating and binding shaping the metal plazma cutters are great to for alot of cutting too i went with the oxy setup first mainly because it was more affordable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Lincoln precision tig 275 sold and it's back😆
    HTP invertig 221
    Lincoln 210 mp with spool gun
    Miller 375 spectrum
    1967 lincoln sa200 project
    Hendey lathe 12X30

Miller big20 parts machine

Post Thanks / Like

Both. The oxy-fuel is great for mobile stuff unless you have a rig that you can tote the compressor and generator around with. Then there's the hypertherm 30 air that has a built in compressor so you would only need a way to power it up. I don't think there is much as versatile as oxy-fuel though. If you wanna start doing work for people you better get LOTS of hood time. It's the only way to improve your skills.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I am only fifteen so I do not have a lot of money right now so I might go with the oxy-acetylene set up.
    Last edited by IsaacStone; 01-24-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Atta boy good to see a Yong man with a good head on his shoulders best of luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Lincoln precision tig 275 sold and it's back😆
    HTP invertig 221
    Lincoln 210 mp with spool gun
    Miller 375 spectrum
    1967 lincoln sa200 project
    Hendey lathe 12X30

Miller big20 parts machine

Post Thanks / Like

Even though your 15 yr old budget may look skimpy, go with good name brands (Smith, Victor, etc. ... you will see Victor "type", that isn't it, that's typically a Chinese copy) and you will be money ahead in the long run. I bought a Chinese lookalike and tossed it in the garbage 2 yrs later. I bought some SnapOn tools 43 years ago when I was your age, and I still use them every day. Buy quality and you will never regret it. If you want it primarily for cutting (as opposed to welding and brazing) you might want to consider one of the multi-fuel setups. Although I personally prefer acetylene, you could work a lot cheaper with propane.

Edit..... hmmm....that's not quite right. When I was 15 I bought Mibro wrenches. I tossed most of those in the garbage as well. I was 17 when I smartened up and starting buying SnapOn.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 01-24-2017 at 11:24 PM.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

That's what my dad has always told me, never cheap out on things and do it the right way the first time. That is why I bought the Hobart. Also I only buy Milwaukee power tools if I can.
    -Hobart Handler 140
    -Dewalt 14 inch chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with an O/A setup first. I use my O/A rig to cut a LOT more than my plasma, probably 80% O/A and 20% plasma -- IF that.

Hypertherm is definitely the way to go when you do eventually pull the trigger, though. Mine works GREAT.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't need to weld with O/A, just heat, cut and braze, consider oxy/propane. Propane is cheaper, more readily available and safer than acetylene. You could always add acet later if need be.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

As stated BOTH would be nice in a perfect setup. Depending on what you plan on doing has an impact on which to buy. What's your location ?? In my area I have seen torch sets with cart and tanks relatively cheap. You should check with local supplier prior to purchase on their cylinder exchanges.
    Oxy / act is handy for heating and cutting. In most cases you are not limited to thicknesses like a plasma if that is a concern. Many repairs can require heat too.
    You need to decide what your NEEDS are . Everyone WANTS everything . You are young and have years to accumulate your tools and equipment. There are tools that I wanted for years and finally got them now , many , many , years later. You need to CHOOSE and PURCHASE wisely.

Post Thanks / Like

I would only be using it to cut and heat. So I should get propane right?
    -Hobart Handler 140
    -Dewalt 14 inch chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Isaac, your father gives you good advice as well as the above threads. Here is my advice, read up on those processes that interest you first. Here are some reading material I recommend to start with: THE OXY-ACETYLENE HANDBOOK by Union carbide, and AIRCRAFT WELDING by L.S. Elzea. These are books on oxy-acetylene welding and are, in my opinion, the best to teach yourself this craft. If stick welding, go on the Lincoln web site, they have an multitude of books on the art of other welding processes and are very reasonably priced. Their book THE PROCEEDURE HANDBOOK OF ARC WELDING is the bible of electric welding. Good luck with your quest. Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for all of the advice! For now I am probably going to get an oxy-propane setup. I think I am going to buy a Victor 0384-2048 Performer torch kit.
    -Hobart Handler 140
    -Dewalt 14 inch chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Good choice. FYI, the propane requires different tips than the acetylene for cutting. That may be something to consider if you're purchasing a kit instead of the individual torch/tips/regulator/hoses. And the T-rated hose is recommended for propane instead of R-rated hose that is usually supplied with acetylene kits.
    Dillon/Henrob/Cobra 2000, Victor 100FC, Meco-N-Midget, Hobart HH187, Miller Thunderbolt 225AC, Razorweld Vipercut 30A Plasma, and lots of grinders

Post Thanks / Like

Okay thank you. I found the kit that was meant for propylene/propane.
    -Hobart Handler 140
    -Dewalt 14 inch chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

In my area OA rigs are all over Craigslist for $400-500. A powermax 30xp will run you close to $1300...plus you'll need a compressor if you don't have one, which is one to a few hundred more. I have a 30xp and I use it all the time, great machine for my basic hobby needs. I run it off a 10gallon harbor freight compressor for now. It works, just not optimal. I don't have an oxy fuel setup yet, but when I decide to make the purchase I'll most likely go oxy propane. Take a good look at both processes (propane vs acetylene) and see the what will fit your needs.

Post Thanks / Like

IsaacStone

Kudos for ambition at your age . . .

Both, is the long-term answer - but in the beginning - OA will serve you better.

OA will cut, weld, braze, and heat - and provides a finish that speaks 'crafted'.
    Plasma exudes - plastic character & machine process = 'crap'.

Start with Ox-Acet and forget Propane. Propane is for Junk-Yards and Tourists.

Ox-Acet is 2000°+ hotter then Ox-Propane. This elevated heat actually aids,
    and advances your learning curve. Your can dial-down an OA flame - but you
    cannot dial-up a propane flame. The gas cost differential is piddling . . .

Anyone that goes Propane first - is handicapped right 'out of the blocks'.

Choice of torch - take your time and search for a used [good condition] Victor
    Super Range - I would rather have an older torch, then their current offering.

Ergonomically, it is the right size - has a strong service range - and is a life
    long tool.

And > rhunt's book recommendations are imperative . . . [I have 2 of 3].

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

My $0.02

Torch first, plasma second.

I respectfully disagree with opus, nothing wrong with oxy/propane. Except then you can't weld with it - and I find people who learned some welding with oxy/acetylene learn more about how welding works in general. This helps with learning the other processes later.
    This does not necessarily justify the cost however for a young person.
    But it is why oxy/acetylene is used in school and you should sign up for welding class. Cheap practice that way

A new, good quality, medium duty oxy/propane torch will serve you well and are available everywhere.
    Same for oxy/acetylene if you go that route.

Personal preference, stay away from eBay China imports and get a well known name brand.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist