+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My fire pit and a question regarding what to paint it with.

Post Thanks / Like

My fire pit and a question regarding what to paint it with.

First real post. I am curious as to what you guys are painting the insides of your fire pits with. I have an open design pit ready for paint and I am planning to use ceramic header paint, just curious as to whether I can paint the inside where the fire will be without it burning off. The pics I've uploaded were taken before I ground all the welds down. Id like to get the inside painting to up the visual appeal and for it to last longer for whoever ends up with this thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My fire pit and a question regarding what to paint it with.

I just use high temp bbq paint on mine. It will burn off near the fire, but it holds up pretty well for the outside and about 1/2 the inside. Plus, it's not hard to touch it up once a year or so.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  69.0 KB
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller 252
    Miller 250x
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Miller AEAD200 Legend
    Miller 375 Xtreme plasma
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

@ 92trk - consider Dampmey's Thurmalox-242, a silicon-ceramic wet spray for sustained service temps of 1000-1200deg F. You need to ensure you first prep the surfaces to Near White Blast metal (SP-10) for coating adherence. This product also requires a bake-in cure temp of 300deg F.

We are currently fabricating a heavy-duty, high-temp assembly. Our powder coater will be applying the "242" for all exterior and some interior surfaces. A key aspect, am told, is proper conditioning the assembly with burn-in AFTER the coating is applied. That is, a 30min low-temp burn, followed by a medium-temp burn for an 1hr, and finally into a roaring dragon's breathe. This recommended protocol, only an opinion at this stage until we validate, is probably to allow the two coats of silicon ceramic to properly harden and aid with coating integration.

Understand the "242" is an expen$ive solution, but our client wants all the bells and whistles on this build.
    Last edited by ManoKai; 02-04-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

I have a can of VHT flame proof ceramic paint. I understand that it too requires a few sessions with the heat gun to "cure". Not really looking forward to using it as it is my first time with a product like it. But we'll see how it goes next week when it warms up a bit outside.

Post Thanks / Like

^ need to ensure you near white blast that metal before applying the ceramic paint. Industrial style, not light grade. If not, surface ablation is a guarantee.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist