Thread: HELP ASAP!!! Sa250 Diesel Perkins 3cyl NO IDLE

Post Thanks / Like

HELP ASAP!!! Sa250 Diesel Perkins 3cyl NO IDLE

I know this has a thread but I cant find it, so in the mean time I'm gonna go ahead and post. Have a sa250 diesel perkins engine 3cyl. Was auto idle fine one day, went in for the weekend, Monday morning it would idle down really slow, as the day went on it kept getting slower until I would have to walk around the machine and manually pull in the plunger on the solenoid, by 3:00 the solenoid wouldn't hold the plunger anymore and I couldn't get the machine to idle down. I cleaned off the PC board and cleaned solenoid connections, still nothing. Is it a bad PC board or bad solenoid? Havent had the time or opportunity to run voltage checks on solenoid terminals or anything. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP ASAP!!! Sa250 Diesel Perkins 3cyl NO IDLE

I've seen solenoids loose holding power when they get hot and I've also seen voltage regulators start to wander when they get hot. Your gonna need to put a meter on unit and see whats happening.

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks, another quick question, is it hurting anything leaving the welder running high idle? I'm main lining and cant slow down, plus she welds a **** ton better, kick offs are easier and its just smoother. shes just loud...very loud

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy97 View Post
    ok thanks, another quick question, is it hurting anything leaving the welder running high idle? I'm main lining and cant slow down, plus she welds a **** ton better, kick offs are easier and its just smoother. shes just loud...very loud
    The only thing it's gonna hurt is in fuel consumption, and your hearing if you work too close to it for extended periods. It's better in your case that it is running at full speed rather than ide only. Can't make good production if it will idle only..

Keep an eye on your fuel use, so you don't run out and have to reprime the injectors though.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 02-06-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thats the one good thing about this perkins i can run about 2 days without fueling even on this high idle, just want to be able hear my radio while im welding haha, ok so i took the day off to try and fix this problem. Replaced the solenoid, voltage regulator is still running 12-14v on every connection and 14v on the pc board connection. on my idle switch i have three prongs but only a pig tail ground coming to the switch then to the solenoid, then a wire that carries 14v to the middle prong, nothing on top prong which is for auto idle. i cant get any juice period to the solenoid i dont think there is a broken wire. What kinda ideas yall got

Post Thanks / Like

ok update, i found a wire that looks like itd been cut that had juic that ran from the amp meter on the face of the welder. its just not running a full 12v but its enough to make the welder idle down slow at first then if you just bump it it sucks the rest of the way in there

Post Thanks / Like

alright, took some emory cloth to the plunger, works great now. does anyone know how to adjust the time it takes to idle down after arc release?

Post Thanks / Like

does anyone know how to adjust the time it takes to idle down after arc release?
    Fixed time controlled by the board.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

alright, took some emory cloth to the plunger, works great now. does anyone know how to adjust the time it takes to idle down after arc release?
    Like the master of welder fixen' said .....and also stated in every engine drive manual Lincoln ever produced......" This is a set time period and can't be adjusted" ......Read a manual dude!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

sorry SmoothOperator, bought the machine used, dont have a manual or id have looked, and yes i know there is one i can get from Lincoln, but hey you guys reply pretty fast and usually have an inside tip or two on how to do it you know makes my life a little easier. sorry to let you down bud