+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beveling pipe...cheaper way than by machine??

Post Thanks / Like

Beveling pipe...cheaper way than by machine??

okay so im assuming everyone is a cheap a** like me and just doesnt want to spend the money (2,000) on a beveling machine. I need to be able to bevel 12" .250 wall pipe for some testing practice (pipeline). Want to try and not spend the money, not burn up all the grinding wheels, and not really keen on trying my hand at hand beveling...i can do it on 6'' and down but 12" is a lot more room for error. Anyone got any ideas? im sure someone has done this before, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beveling pipe...cheaper way than by machine??

see the vid in post #2 of this thread. Learn to run an oxygen-fuel torch.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

If you ever decide to invest in a milling-type pipe beveler, jettison the idea of purchasing that Rigid rig ($3k+) and score a precision built setup from Saar-Hartmetall (Gerima). Seen the Rigid rig in action recently and was not impressed for the level of $ investment. Having personally used several Gerima products, know they are top-tier and come with excellent customer service.

A future effort of ours is to design/fabricate a pipe fixture a la shown in the vid for integration to a Gerima SMA 30-E.

Last edited by ManoKai; 02-10-2017 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

My old heck beveler would do flat and pipe at any angle ,too expensive for a one off but great when you are doing a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of torch do you have ?? Get a 75 degree head for it and it's easy. Well after you've done it for 40 years.

12'' is not difficult with some practice and a 75 head. set your pipe on stands LOW enough so you can lean over and position both arms on it. Start your cut where you are comfortable, hold your breath, and move arms long pipe while resting on it. I prefer bringing the torch toward me from say 3 to 12 o'clock. Do what seems easiest for you . Only cut where you feel comfortable , roll pipe , and start again. Even you you want to cut on top for a 6'' length is fine.
    IF you pass the welding test what happens when you gotta make a cut in the field ??? Maybe they'll have a fitter do it for up.

Post Thanks / Like

I just kept an eye out on welder pages on fb and eBay and got all 3 of my beveling machines (1-1/2"-14") for 1200$ for all of them

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Flange Wizard trolley that I slightly modified that I use to bevel pipe. I'll try to snap a picture of it at work tomorrow. I have something like $70 in it and it's also a circle cutter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    What kind of torch do you have ?? Get a 75 degree head for it and it's easy. Well after you've done it for 40 years.

12'' is not difficult with some practice and a 75 head. set your pipe on stands LOW enough so you can lean over and position both arms on it. Start your cut where you are comfortable, hold your breath, and move arms long pipe while resting on it. I prefer bringing the torch toward me from say 3 to 12 o'clock. Do what seems easiest for you . Only cut where you feel comfortable , roll pipe , and start again. Even you you want to cut on top for a 6'' length is fine.
    IF you pass the welding test what happens when you gotta make a cut in the field ??? Maybe they'll have a fitter do it for up.
    well most all the time the company has the beveling machines because pipe size varies. most fab is done at the shop with all the machines, cutting down fittings, pups, ect. in the field on tie ins or for pull heads everything is cut with bevel machine, like I said because pipe size varies. The company I just left was running 6", 8", 10", and a 16" line with a few polly lines with 16" casing. and my torch is Victor, everything is haha.

but hey thanks for the tip idea, honestly never crossed my mind. always did small diameter beveling with a straight tip and used a grinder to touch it up.

Post Thanks / Like

a grinder and some elbow grease works great

Post Thanks / Like

Lazy ****s don't last long on the pipeline. You'd better become real good friends with a 9" grinder, otherwise you won't last a week.

You think 12" sounds like work, try 36". Day in, day out. Wasn't fun.

Other than the labor involved, it's really pretty easy. Not much to mess up.
    2000 Lincoln SA-250
    1974 Miller Dial-Arc 250

Post Thanks / Like

i was confused by this post at first, grinding bevels is day 1

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist