+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Needing a generator

Post Thanks / Like

Needing a generator

I have a Lincoln Electric MP210 and I'm loving it. But my house only has a15amp breaker going to the garage and if I start running my rods at 70+ amps it trips the breaker and to get a nice bead I need to be running hotter. So I'm wanting to get a generator for my shop temporarily and also for to use out on small jobs
    I've never had one before so I don't know any good brands and bad brands or what to really look for. Can someone help me find one that will work great and not break the bank to badly. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Needing a generator

Have you considered getting an engine drive? It will fulfill your welding needs and also provide auxiliary power. It is going to be big, heavy and not so portable unless you fit it in a truck.

Which welder are you using right now? Is it inverter based or transformer based? And how much juice it needs to run ats its max? This information is critical in order to choose a suitable generator. You also need to consider if the welder is meant to be used with a generator... some welders are not compatible with generators.

Mikel

Post Thanks / Like

Your machine is listed to require 27 amps at 230v input for maximum output.

(27)(230)=6210 watts

Your generator will need to have a continuous watts rating higher than that (not surge).

The bigger the better so the motor lag isn't enough to effect the welding.

Step one though is to ask Lincoln if that machine is warrantied for generator use and what their recommendations are for maximum THD (total harmonic distortion) in a generator.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I have I plan on getting one down the road just they are kinda pricey and I got a amazing deal on my MP210. I did some research and there was someone saying g they we're running their mp210 on a generator but I also seen someone post that their MP235 says not to run it on one. I think it's inverter based and I'm not really sure what its max wattage pull is. The manual says it can run on 15amps (then again I have it on 15 amps and it blows the breaker if I get over 70amps
    I'll probably shoot Lincoln Electric an email asking them what they would recommend for it and all that. I'm not seeing in the manual of it says it can be ran on a generator or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran the one I had on a 12.5kw generator no problems

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
    Miller Xmt 350
    Lincoln Ln-25
    Ahp 200x
    Smith Gas Mixer AR/H
    Tig is my Kung Fu
    Throwing down dimes and weaving about
    Instagram http://instagram.com/weldor_wes
    WeldorWes@WcWeldingLLC.com

Post Thanks / Like

you would probably spend less than a quarter of the cost of the generator on a good electrician to properly rewire your circuit. is it more important to be mobile or be able to use the machine in your shop?
    Miller Multimatic 255

7. Likes walker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

True but the house I'm at now I'm renting and in not sure if they would let me run some wire out to the shop or not. I'll look at a pawn shop to see if I can get a deal on one if not I'll probably try getting the shop wired

Post Thanks / Like

Put either a 20 am or even better a 30 amp plug ( two 15 amp breakers ) at your panel and make or buy a 12awg 100' extension cord. 60 bucks cost and done. Mount the plug in a box right beside the panel. If staying wire it for 220. Your not going to have much luck maxxing that machine out on a 120 circuit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DefectedSoul View Post
    Yeah I have I plan on getting one down the road just they are kinda pricey and I got a amazing deal on my MP210. I did some research and there was someone saying g they we're running their mp210 on a generator but I also seen someone post that their MP235 says not to run it on one. I think it's inverter based and I'm not really sure what its max wattage pull is. The manual says it can run on 15amps (then again I have it on 15 amps and it blows the breaker if I get over 70amps
    I'll probably shoot Lincoln Electric an email asking them what they would recommend for it and all that. I'm not seeing in the manual of it says it can be ran on a generator or not.
    Check post #6 for wattage.

Using 120v and running on 15 amps will reduce output to about 70-85 amps.
    You are further restricted due to your circuit likely running the lights in the shop as well.
    Plus it's not a dedicated circuit for the welder, which means you may have voltage drop through several plugs along the way.

Also, the effective input current of 15 amps is not the whole story, the max input is 21.5 amps on 120v input.

Name:  mp210 lincoln.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  56.2 KB
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 02-21-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I could just do that. Hell. The dryer is closest to the garage wonder if I could split off that and get a 230 volt out to my garage (

Post Thanks / Like

Drier plug hack 220 plug extension cord with 3wire 12awg will run that machine well. 10awg very well but cost goes up quite a bit for that cabling

Post Thanks / Like

I might do that the cord wouldn't have to be to long I'd just need probably at most 30feet probably could do it with 25. And I may just save up for a small engine driven machine for taking out on the road.

Post Thanks / Like

With above gennies and welders dont tend to mix very well in my experience. You want considerable overkill on the generator to run plug in welders reliably which puts the cost around what a welder/gennie goes for. Lincoln gas powered ranger with 10k watt generator is quite reasonably priced, I can get you a model number if interested

Post Thanks / Like

How close is the washer and dryer to the garage if its close id unplug yer dryer and run an extension cord to plug yer welder into the dryer outlett

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You probably need at least a 8kw generator if you want to run that welder at full power.
    Then derate the generator about 2 or 3% every 1000ft above sea level. Thinner air the engine can't make as much power.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

Post Thanks / Like

My dad has a Generac XP 8000E (8000 running watts, 12,000 surge watts), just for the heck of it I plugged my Everlast Powerarc 200ST into it last week and let her rip. 1/8" 7018 around 130 amps ran very nice, the generator grunted when the arc was struck but never acted like it was loaded.
    The main thing to look for on a generator is less than 5% THD (total harmonic distortion) which basicaly means it is clean power. Before anyone mentions my welder is probably now void of warranty for running it on a generator the idea of it came from Mr. Mark Lugo himself with Everlast.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with and extension cord run from the dryer plug as mentioned. Fifty feet of 10/3 SOOW flexible power cord is less than $100. A new plug on one end and receptacle on the other might add $50 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-1...-Foot/50148254

That being said, if you do buy a generator, I recently purchased one of these, and love it. It starts my 3 horsepower, 3 wire well pump without a problem. I am sure it would run your welder. https://www.championpowerequipment.c...rame-inverter/
    Miller Multimatic 255

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdhunter1 View Post
    My dad has a Generac XP 8000E (8000 running watts, 12,000 surge watts), just for the heck of it I plugged my Everlast Powerarc 200ST into it last week and let her rip. 1/8" 7018 around 130 amps ran very nice, the generator grunted when the arc was struck but never acted like it was loaded.
    The main thing to look for on a generator is less than 5% THD (total harmonic distortion) which basicaly means it is clean power. Before anyone mentions my welder is probably now void of warranty for running it on a generator the idea of it came from Mr. Mark Lugo himself with Everlast.
    I think you would be ok warranty wise with that generator, as the xp line is/was clean power/low thd generators.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    you would probably spend less than a quarter of the cost of the generator on a good electrician to properly rewire your circuit. is it more important to be mobile or be able to use the machine in your shop?

What he said.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is 4 years old guys....
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

23. Likes Weldalittle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    This thread is 4 years old guys....
    I hate it when that happens !! and I was all into it to see what he did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weldnhack View Post
    I hate it when that happens !! and I was all into it to see what he did.
    Well.... the OP hasn't been back since... so you might be SOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Well.... the OP hasn't been back since... so you might be SOL
    The proper term is "Necrothread"

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

or.....
    Name:  zombie-puss1.png
Views: 515
Size:  187.5 KB

29. Likes 12V71 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist