+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinion on these two used compressors....needing one pretty soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Opinion on these two used compressors....needing one pretty soon.

Hello all, finally at a purchase point for a new to me compressor and a plasma. Things have not worked out as I had hoped the past year financially so I feel a little behind on the need but more than anything I need to eek every bit of savings I can here. I was originally going to get a Hypertherm 30XP but have opted to go up a size to the new 45XP. With going this route it has made it super tight not the compressor budget and I wanted to throw these two options out there. I know they area little more than what I need for just plasma as far as scfm but I have future aspirations for a blasting cabinet (small) etc.

Option one...from what I can tell this is a previous harbor freight brand with an Italian made pump (I think and it looks like a new pump is around 800) with a Baldor motor and a US made tank. I think he is fairly negotiable on this.

https://denver.craigslist.org/tls/5996964373.html

The following is the one I wanted to buy new with a 30XP but am trying to stretch my dollar as much as possible especially upsizing on the plasma. It is 1250 to my door from Northern Tool new. He says he has all original paperwork, it is 2 years old with about 40 hours on it and it comes with a run of the mill 1/2 Milton reg/filter figureed 75 new....ATN 1/2 inch 50 foot hose reel 140 on Amazon....Quincy extended warranty/maint kit (leaving two years of warranty left) 200 and 50 feet of 1/2 inch supply hose figured 50 for this new. I think this fella is pretty firm on his price but I do need everything he has as extras other than the supply hose as I will run copper.

https://denver.craigslist.org/tls/6010190830.html
    --------------------------------------

Miller 325 Trailblazer Excel EFI
    Millermatic 211 Inverter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinion on these two used compressors....needing one pretty soon.

Quincy. Hands down. I have been using mine for 22 years and who knows how long the previous owner did.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to get the fella to drop down to 1100 which still seems a little high to me...I tend to look for really good deals but have not seen a newer lower end quincy come up on CL in over 8 months around me. He is not wanting to budge

Millermatic 211 Inverter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TDog78 View Post
    Trying to get the fella to drop down to 1100 which still seems a little high to me...I tend to look for really good deals but have not seen a newer lower end quincy come up on CL in over 8 months around me. He is not wanting to budge
    I don't blame him. Quincy compressors are among the best, if not the best. Parts are everywhere, and they last a looooooong time. Problem with import compressors is after 5 years or so parts are hard to find.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the lower priced Quincy are imported, as far as I recall. Definitely check before dropping serious $$.

Post Thanks / Like

Northern tool NEW with free shipping is 1249 and warranty. Harbor fright hose reel and filter = nothing. I agree with others 1100.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that Quincy is at the bottom end of their US models, so it's not their imported junk. It definitely over clocks that pump to get the flow ratings on the sticker. So it'll be loud(ish) and create a fair bit of moisture.

However, it does seem pretty well equipped. It's not a bad buy, though the price is a little high. I'd personally rather have a bigger pump that's spun at lower RPMs, but that may require some digging.

You could always put a different pulley on the motor if you have moisture/noise issues. It'll lower the output, but it'll still be plenty for your plasma. Good luck
    Millermatic 211 w/Spoolmate 150
    Hypertherm PMX45XP

Wishlist:
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

Well he went down to 1100. Kind of feel for the guy, just got raked on a divorce and is downsizing the shop. However I am a poor *** broke fella as well so...

Millermatic 211 Inverter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DerekV View Post
    I believe that Quincy is at the bottom end of their US models, so it's not their imported junk. It definitely over clocks that pump to get the flow ratings on the sticker. So it'll be loud(ish) and create a fair bit of moisture.

However, it does seem pretty well equipped. It's not a bad buy, though the price is a little high. I'd personally rather have a bigger pump that's spun at lower RPMs, but that may require some digging.

You could always put a different pulley on the motor if you have moisture/noise issues. It'll lower the output, but it'll still be plenty for your plasma. Good luck
    Motor is spinning at 1400 rpm on that one....I agree and would love a slower chugger but the lowest in that range was a champion that started at 1800. Regarding moisture, I am in CO and will run 50 plus feet of 3/4 copper and have a few moisture drop legs before then and a filter drain at the end of the 3/4 so hopefully I won't get too much.

Millermatic 211 Inverter

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Compressor rpm is at 1310.

Millermatic 211 Inverter

Post Thanks / Like

I went to see the quincy...could not find the paperwork, it was a year older (no biggie), his wiring job was terrible, the hoses were in terrible shape and I was not overly impressed with the sound level. I did not get a warm fuzzy and did not trust his break in, oil changes or hours so I told him I was gonna pass. Back to looking. I might just get some chi comm smaller and cheaper unit to get me going like the Northern tool north star line and keep looking for a lower rpm used one at a later date and dump the other unit.

Millermatic 211 Inverter

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me I'd spend a few extra bucks and buy it new. Not much difference in price, and since you already have a compressor, I assume you have all the lines and filters.
    http://www.tptools.com/Quincy-5HP-2-...tml?b=s*quincy
    Dynasty 280DX
    Coolmate 3
    Lincoln AC 225 Tombstone
    Victor Oxy/acetylene

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heartdoc View Post
    If it were me I'd spend a few extra bucks and buy it new. Not much difference in price, and since you already have a compressor, I assume you have all the lines and filters.
    http://www.tptools.com/Quincy-5HP-2-...tml?b=s*quincy
    Thing is....now I am not completely sold on the quincy unit at all. The 3450 motor kind of bums me out but it seems to reviewed so well almost anywhere that sells them. I will point out they have stopped putting Baldors in the QT-54 which ticked me off at first but multiple service places and sellers I spoke to said they were having a ton of problems with them to the point Quincy canned them....They have now gone to WEG which I think is made in Brazil. I was sold on this compressor for the past year and was just hoping something would come up used and this is the first I have seen within 250 miles so it was a let down after seeing it run. Then again that might be the stigma I have developed mentally with so many chastising the 3450 motors. Dunno.

Millermatic 211 Inverter

Post Thanks / Like

I would easily go with option one.

That pump is an ABAC and you can get spare parts for them worldwide.
    Just that the motor is a Baldor speaks about the quality. You don't put a Baldor motor on a crap.
    And a US made tank. So the unit is obviously assembled in the US.

http://viewer.abacaircompressors.com...ket_catalogue/
    According to the plate the pump is B6000.

And obviously 7.5HP and 80 cuft is better than 5HP and 60 cuft any day, especially for sand blasting.

Post Thanks / Like

26cfm @ 90psi? That's impressive. I'd go with Pete's advice.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TDog78 View Post
    Sorry, Compressor rpm is at 1310.
    Correct - that's fast. That's why you didn't like the noise.

See if he'll go lower and grab it. It'll certainly work for the time being. You can then look into different pulleys to slow that poor pump down. Or put a totally different pump (bigger) down the road. You'll have an awesome foundation to build on.

Or just keep looking. I ended up just building mine since I couldn't find what I wanted.
    Millermatic 211 w/Spoolmate 150
    Hypertherm PMX45XP

Wishlist:
    HTP Invertig 221

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist