Thread: Stainless steel coating over welds?

Post Thanks / Like

Stainless steel coating over welds?

Hi guys. I'm preparing to put together a stainless steel stove top cover that will go over the whole stove top and act as storage space when it's not in use. I want to do it in stainless since the weld comes out a nice color.
    Is there any type of coating or clear that I can put on it when finished that will preserve the weld color? Will clear coat work? I just don't want it fading when it gets cleaned. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stainless steel coating over welds?

Any kind of clear coat would probably work.

Be careful not to use any paint that contains any kind of oxidizing preventative. I tried something similar with a braze project, and used a Rustoleum clear coat that had something like that in it that basically erased the color.
    2000 Lincoln SA-250
    1974 Miller Dial-Arc 250

Post Thanks / Like

ToeKnee

Quote Originally Posted by ToeKnee View Post
    Hi guys. I'm preparing to put together a stainless steel stove top cover that will go
    over the whole stove top and act as storage space when it's not in use. I want to do
    it in stainless since the weld comes out a nice color. Is there any type of coating or
    clear that I can put on it when finished that will preserve the weld color? Will clear
    coat work? I just don't want it fading when it gets cleaned. Thank you!
    'Ain't none of this' - is going to happen - 'consider' learning how to weld . . .

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

That rainbow colour your wanting to preserve is only obtained by highly skilled welders. It's also easily removed by a buffing with a wire brush or wheel.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

The weld color will vary depending on what process and or gas you use. If you do want the rainbow color to stay, It likely will on it's own. You probably wont have to spray it with anything just let it be. If you wire brush it, yes you can remove it partially but if you just leave it alone it will hold the coloring. Are you thinking Mig Tig or Stick on the project? Tig i'm sure but each are capable of giving you what you are looking for. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Just leave it, I wouldn't put a clear coat over it. Are u gona just fuse the metal with out filler? 16 gauge u will need to be carful not to sugar but I'm guessing u already no this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    The weld color will vary depending on what process and or gas you use. If you do want the rainbow color to stay, It likely will on it's own. You probably wont have to spray it with anything just let it be. If you wire brush it, yes you can remove it partially but if you just leave it alone it will hold the coloring. Are you thinking Mig Tig or Stick on the project? Tig i'm sure but each are capable of giving you what you are looking for. Good Luck.
    Mig, stick on thin metal kitchen stove hood? Come on

Post Thanks / Like

Had to ask. Very amusing site. however. 16ga SS with twin pulse mig 030 and 98/2 arg Co2. drag weld. very nice. pulse frequency 3 pps. current change 25, relationship 35, trim -6. Super fast and nicer than tig. try it and report back.

Post Thanks / Like

The color will rub off eventually, if he doesn't cover it with something. They acid wash our stainless welds, the silver looks pretty nice, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love that color Dot has on my project. I will be using a tig. It should arrive next month. Furick BBW cup just came in along with 2% lanthanated electrodes. I don't have concrete plans yet. I've just read and watched TIG videos. I've only been using flux core fixing gates and stuff. Thanks for your input everyone.

Wasn't planning on using filler since it's so thin but I will play around and practice before I take a crack at it...
    Last edited by ToeKnee; 02-28-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Using tig on thin stainless like 16 gauge or thinner means u can't have a gap in ur fitted up metal. And u will need to keep the puddle small so u don't sugar on the back side. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

ToeKnee

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post
    'Ain't none of this' - is going to happen - 'consider' learning how to weld . . .
    I offer an apology - my words were harsh - without explanation.

All - 'of your desire' in your post is a Holy Grail of presentation - and unattainable.
    You are not - the first one - to want this . . .

The most recent example of S/S Erocticia is from Dotmatriks.

Forty years ago - a photo of this caliber would have come from Bell Labs - and
    published in National Geographic.

I have experimented with a wide variety of 'clear coats' - and the color can be
    preserved - but you can never touch it . . .

How wet is your climate . . . ?

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Using tig on thin stainless like 16 gauge or thinner means u can't have a gap in ur fitted up metal. And u will need to keep the puddle small so u don't sugar on the back side. Good luck.
    I will try to have fitment as close as possible and purge the backside to prevent sugaring. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

ToeKnee

I offer an apology - my words were harsh - without explanation.

All - 'of your desire' in your post is a Holy Grail of presentation - and unattainable.
    You are not - the first one - to want this . . .

The most recent example of S/S Erocticia is from Dotmatriks.

Forty years ago - a photo of this caliber would have come from Bell Labs - and
    published in National Geographic.

I have experimented with a wide variety of 'clear coats' - and the color can be
    preserved - but you can never touch it . . .

How wet is your climate . . . ?

Opus
    No worries. I understand it doesn't come overnight. Our climate is a bit humid, we live a few blocks from the beach. This will be for the kitchen, indoors. I was hoping the clear would keep it from the outside elements.
    Yes, Dot's welds are very nice as I've browsed through the pictures thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dotmatriks View Post
    You don't need to purge the backside. Your welds will look like crap for a while since you say you have never run TIG. The corners are typically fusion welds(no filler) and the flanges should touch each other after they are turned. My usual settings are 3/32 Lanthanated; polished, 60A, 15cfh. Ive been doing this for half my life, 20 years. Goodluck.

Don't worry, I'm a welder.
    Thank you for the tips and settings, seriously appreciate it! Been watching welding tips and tricks for months since I've started with flux core lol. Thanks everyone for the input!