Thread: Prescription safety glasses

Post Thanks / Like

Prescription safety glasses

What do you wear and from whom did you buy them?thanks

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prescription safety glasses

i get them made at a local store that makes glasses. i prefer bifocal or trifocals. trifocals you move your head and use where you see best. only problem is rare times you cannot move your head to look through trifocal where i see best
    usually i use "2.0 with a 1.0 add and 2.0 add" so my glasses are 2.0 at top, 3.0 middle, 4.0 bottom. prescription they call it "add" so you add together .
    custom made prescription glasses are $80 to $100. bifocal and trifocals cost more.

Post Thanks / Like

Possible to wear your regular glasses and a face shield? i couldn't find a good solution to precrip lenses and readers for OA, and got a face shield in #5 tint. Could a clear face shield work for you?

Post Thanks / Like

I had my first set made at Wal-Mart Optical. They have several safety frames (built-in side shields) from which to choose.

I had the second set of lenses for those frames made at my regular optician. (change of prescription and added bifocal lenses).

If you have bifocals put in, make sure you have them measure for the bifocal placement the same way you will be working (I had them move the bifocal 5mm UP, because when I am standing at the bench, I want to see the entire project in the bifocal lense...when I glance up, I want to see across the shop in focus.

Kev
    Kevin / Machine_Punk from The Aerodrome Studio

- Lincoln PowerMIG 210 MP
    - Meco N Midget w/custom welding station
    - Vintage Victor 100

Current Projects: The Aerodrome Studio

Post Thanks / Like

I found that just about every frame made for prescription glasses sucks. Not only do they look like feces, they restrict my side vision horribly.
    So after much research I found Rudy Project's Rydon line of Z87 frames.
    http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_...id=SN797306TTE
    you can get removable prescription inserts for them, and the lenses themselves are easily changed out to another color if you want.
    My application was at work and when I'm shooting.
    The clear Z87 lenses are the ones that get dark when outside and around fluorescent lighting, so I had to get used to them being a little dark when I was inside in some places.
    The prescription lens insert is more "wrap around" then typical glasses, so my eyeglasses place misplaced the grind slightly, which narrowed and lowered my field of view more than I would have preferred, which for shooting under certain situations can be annoying.
    Unfortunately, they did go back to Rydon twice to have the frames replaced. There's a molded in frame feature that holds the removable lenses in place that cracked, letting the lenses come out too easily. It appears to have been caused by a mold parting line, and the final frame doesn't seem to be doing that, so I assume they fixed that problem.

After all is said and done, I really like them. The fit is great, the look is outstanding, and I get good protection and visibility.
    They did set me back about $400, though, even with my benefits.

Post Thanks / Like

I priced a set here in Australia, holy schamolley, over $600, and they looked bl@@dy ugly to boot. Sticking with a $40 face shield over my normal glasses..... has the advantage of protecting the rest of my face!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,good suggestions

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of prescription progressive trifocal safety glasses that my local eye doctor had made for me. I mainly use them for shooting.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

This just came across my facebook. Don't know anything about them, but will be checking them out soon.

https://sspeyewear.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Wal-Mart stuff for me, works fine and there's no glasses that'll make me look *not* goofy. This set's a couple years old and is scratched up enough that the world is a fog. Time for new glasses. But these have been fine, side shields are removable and they look halfway OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's how it worked for me. that's exactly what I do for handgun shooting. I found that getting any sort of wrap-around lens in a bifocal was darned near impossible, and that a single-vision prescription was way cheaper than bifocal, or my regular variable lenses (which would probably equate to tri-focal).

I measured the actual distance from my eye to my front sight when in normal stance (5-inch barrel), and explained to my optometrist what I wanted: dominant eye (right) focused right there, left eye focused at a full distance. I'm on my third pair like that now, and they work as well as anything I've found.

For real-world handgun practice, I simply wear my normal small-lensed variables (spectacles got tiny, and short-pants got long; who can figure fashion). A 10-degree tilt of my head and I'm looking over the top of my glasses. I can see the front sight acceptably that way, though not crispy, the target will be a blur, worsening with distance.

This is where low-light training comes in. You use the flash only briefly, to identify the target. You flash, identify, extinguish, move, and shoot. Same thing--only simpler--with your regular glasses (assuming it's easy for you to look over the rims). Head up; identify target through a distance-vision portion of glasses at top of the lens; head down slightly to look over glasses and obtain best-case sight picture with a handgun, move, and shoot.

All will be blurry once you look over your glasses, however, as with the flashlight, you've accomplished a clear-target visual and can shift--so long as the shift is in microseconds--to a less-clear image of the target. But the same rules apply both for flashlight and old-guy combatives: You don't shoot what you can't identify.

That's why I asked earlier about your intended use. The two different single-vision lenses option like ESS https://secretstorages.com/best-shooting-glasses/ is fine for conventional-sight handgun, but is miserable for red-dot or holographic optics, or for iron-sight rifles.

Let us know what you decide!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife works for an optometrist and ophthalmologist & I often get my glasses for free because of the odd jobs I do at the office, she gets 1 pair a year from the lab at no cost so that has been a real boon, and if I do have to pay for a pair I get them at the doctor's cost, this little perk rolls down to our immediate family too, he was able to get me in on a family & friends thing for lasik surgery too several years ago, I got both eyes done with free lifetime "touchups" for under $400.00. Her primary boss is an awesome guy and great to work for.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 08-03-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

CAVEMANN

You are exhibiting - Latent Liberal Tendencies ^ . ^ . ^ . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    My wife works for an optometrist and ophthalmologist & I often get my glasses for free because of the odd jobs I do at the office, she gets 1 pair a year from the lab at no cost so that has been a real boon, and if I do have to pay for a pair I get them at the doctor's cost, this little perk rolls down to our immediate family too, he was able to get me in on a family & friends thing for lasik surgery too several years ago, I got both eyes done with free lifetime "touchups" for under $400.00. Her primary boss is an awesome guy and great to work for.
    Your - heart-felt impassioned tribute [scenario], regarding your wifes employer -
    is: directly/amply, addressed - in Das Kapital.

This read - is just one, of hundreds of reads [800 BCE >] curious welders - should
    absorb . . .

Opus

ps - What is your Dioter . . . ?

Ref:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=karl+...81.s77qT3ITXns.

sengathi
    -

Parallax is always an issue . . .

Last edited by OPUS FERRO; 08-04-2018 at 03:15 AM. Reason: inclusion . . .