+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Miller Syncrowave 250DX

Post Thanks / Like

New Miller Syncrowave 250DX

Hello - Our shop inherited a Miller Syncrowave 250DX (air cooled) and we are new to TIG welding, but are experienced stick, mig...etc. We have read the manuals and a lot of general stuff from Miller, but we wanted to hear from experienced welders about general setup. Can someone let us know what is a good machine setup for practicing beads on 1/8" Aluminum plate? We have 100% Argon. Not sure what amperage or tungsten would be best to get our feet wet. Also, I assume that the "AC" setting is what we should be set at on the machine. Thanks for any and all advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Miller Syncrowave 250DX

Quote Originally Posted by crwnsvn View Post
    Hello - Our shop inherited a Miller Syncrowave 250DX (air cooled) and we are new to TIG welding, but are experienced stick, mig...etc. We have read the manuals and a lot of general stuff from Miller, but we wanted to hear from experienced welders about general setup. Can someone let us know what is a good machine setup for practicing beads on 1/8" Aluminum plate? We have 100% Argon. Not sure what amperage or tungsten would be best to get our feet wet. Also, I assume that the "AC" setting is what we should be set at on the machine. Thanks for any and all advice!
    Yes, AC. I would put in a 1/8th tungsten. 70% balance(30% cleaning), just enough post flow to keep the tungsten brite, #7 cup at 18cfh.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to do any significant amount of aluminum welding, you will want to ditch the 17 torch for something water cooled. I use a CK #20 on mine with a dynaflux cooler that I picked up cheap on Craig's List. I agree with Terry and I like to go with a 1/8th tungsten. I use 2% lanthanated (blue band). Set polarity to AC, set process to TIG, set amperage control to remote, set contactor to remote, set the HF start to continuous, I start with balance on #7, set post flow to around 30 seconds, set your amps around 150, leave the pulse and spot timer off.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

30 sec post flow for 150-200 amps Is way over kill, more like 8 sec if that on a 17 torch and 5 seconds or less on wp20. Make sure ur balance is 6 or higher.

Post Thanks / Like

I like 2% lanthanated tungsten, 1/8" or 3/32" for aluminum on mine. If yours is a fairly new unit like mine, your AC balance knob will have a green line at around 65% EN, which is a good place to start. Don't sneak up on the heat on aluminum, you want to form a puddle fairly fast, then back off as the plate gets hot. If you do much alum, you're gonna want a water cooled torch. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist