Thread: Writing a WPS

Post Thanks / Like

Writing a WPS

When writing a WPS(p) for SMAW and you have no PQR to reference do you have to still have to put down volts and travel speed or can that wait until the WPS (p) gets approved for doing a PQR? Or is there a chart somewhere for that? I am familiar with CWB code but the company that we contract to had their own requirement, it's a mash up of ASME IX, AWS D1.1, and API 1104. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Writing a WPS

Will this help in anyway?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Yes and no. I was wondering how you come up with travel speed and volts without a pqr. We are starting fresh and have no procedures in place.
    Thanks for responding

Post Thanks / Like

I donít ever remember adding travel speed, and volts to a SMAW WPS.
    But Iím just a hobby welder.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

You write a preliminary WPS for test with strict parameters. Then you non destructive and destructive test to confirm those parameters produce a sound weldment. You then write your PQR and referencing your PQR with those tight parameters you write your production WPS with relaxed parameters taken from the list of essential variables and limits.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank for your help guys. This ASME and AWS is hard to wrap my head around after using CWB for so many years. After doing some further research into the company's requirements my WPS falls into the AWS category for them not ASME, so I can now write a pre-qualified WPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokinggunsfab View Post
    Thank for your help guys. This ASME and AWS is hard to wrap my head around after using CWB for so many years. After doing some further research into the company's requirements my WPS falls into the AWS category for them not ASME, so I can now write a pre-qualified WPS.

Check the AWS bookstore for SWPS. A good amount listed in red qualify for ASME boiler and pressure work as well. Just procure a qualified operator/weldor. https://pubs.aws.org/t/procedures
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

I just realized that book is full of WPS's. I though it was a AWS/ASME code book at a glance. I would think you are a little more than a hobbiest