+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: L-Tec PCM-VPi but it is said

Post Thanks / Like

Re: L-Tec PCM-VPi but it is said

Brushing up on the user manual some more. From what I am understanding the Plunger is reversible too and it is the part that engages and disengages or disables the torch should the momentary switch be pushed while the torch is disassembled. The only thing I have not ordered yet is the O-Ring and the Seat.

How often does the seat and plunger need replacing?

Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost never..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Good good good. So there is no reason to have more than one spare on hand in my parts kit box.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking over the torch manual I see the difference between the PT31-XL and PT31XLPC is about .500 or 1/2" with the XL being the shorter at 2.250" and the XLPC being 2.750". Now here is where I am confused about the torch I got. It says PT31 XL on the torch but when I measure it and look at the images of the two torches my torch looks like a PT31-XLPC the longer torch.

Are they basically the same torch with interchangeable parts to make them either an XL or XLPC?

Name:  PT31XL PT31XLPC Torches.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  43.8 KBName:  20170326_201102.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  36.4 KBName:  20170329_125931.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  25.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

When you add the long tip consumables.. There is your difference. I think it's kind of a hold over to the XL torches that take the double sided electrodes, and short tips.. Just call yours a PC and it's good to go.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    When you add the long tip consumables.. There is your difference. I think it's kind of a hold over to the XL torches that take the double sided electrodes, and short tips.. Just call yours a PC and it's good to go.
    Yeah I pretty much figured my torch has been configured and used as a PC. I always like to know what makes things tick just my nature I guess. In my attempts to learn and know as much about this torch as possible I am looking up as much as possible before ordering parts. I would like to know what it takes to make the torch use the XL double sided electrodes with the shorter 15/20 amp nozzles. Just learning as much as I can as fast as I can
    You never know when some NewOldStock will show up on ebay.

Ordered the 5x 30/40amp XT performance nozzles you linked on ebay for $20.00 shipped and ordered the 35/40amp XT Spare Parts Kit 21980 from Weldingsupply.com for under $100.00 shipped. https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...UNDEF:OR:21980 Now I will have a factory Yellow ESAB container to keep all the consumables in " yeah baby yeah "

Then went to my Favorite local Welding supply " California WS " and purchased two electrodes, one Heat Shield and one Swirl Ring. I tried to give them the business for all the other parts but at the end of the day I was saving over $50.00 so I had to do the on line purchase thing.

Any way the Electrodes from my local supply did not have the Chrome plating on the Lower part of the shaft where the swirl ring goes as they were almost all copper top to bottom. Will that be a problem or cause them to not last as long?
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 03-29-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No, there are quality electrodes built both ways..With the high freq, you can get away with the cheaper China electrodes pretty well. Nothing really moves in the torch, and i never had a issue with them.. Still prefer using the USA stuff, most the time..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah these were made in USA ESAB parts. I pulled them out of the package my self. They were hanging on a rotating rack near the check out counter. Any way I was thinking the Chrome plating might help with longevity of the parts as the tips have the same chrome plating on them. In fact I asked the lady helping me with my purchase and she told me it must have been an original part. I shrugged it off as her not knowing what she was talking about. but also thought she might be on to something. I know such a contradiction...

I can hardly wait until the correct nozzles arrive and I am able to start cutting things up with laser like precision. One can hope so any way.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 03-30-2017 at 01:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I have the adapter to mount a Victor SL-60 torch with the ATC setup to all those Esab's. Only makes sense to do on the 875-1125 machines, because you give up way too much on the 40 amps and below machines.You only gain on the bigger machines..
    Pondering what you mean by this... Are you saying that the 40amp machines can use the SL-60 torch with an adaptor or are you saying the PCM 875-1125 machines are better for using the SL-60 torch? I am confused by this statement.

Edit: NVM I get it now it only makes sense for the SL-60 on the bigger machines 875-1125
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 03-30-2017 at 02:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So I was working on a Receiver hitch plate to be used between a Garden Tractor and a Cherry picker and got to using the new consumables. It is not very easy to make nice clean cuts for me for some reason. Maybe it was because I was out of position squatting down while cutting IDK but My tips took a beating. I think either my technique is very poor or the settings on the machine are off or something else is going on that I am not able to figure out.

I have been wondering about the air going into the machine. The machine has an air filter water separator thing with a regulator and I'm not sure it is working correctly. According to the user manual the Air is suppose to be adjusted to 75 psi for all cutting or is that not correct. I am not sure about the psi thing.

Another thing is that the PSI gauge at the machine regulator reads 80 psi but when the air starts flowing the psi drops to about 60 psi. Would this cause problems? I have not been able to adjust the air so that it stays at 75 psi while air is flowing to torch.

Post Thanks / Like

I made a best offer of $50.00 last night on ebay and the offer was accepted for an ESAB Basic plasma Circle cutting kit 0558002675

Name:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 349
Size:  42.4 KBName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  55.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Pondering what you mean by this... Are you saying that the 40amp machines can use the SL-60 torch with an adaptor or are you saying the PCM 875-1125 machines are better for using the SL-60 torch? I am confused by this statement.

Edit: NVM I get it now it only makes sense for the SL-60 on the bigger machines 875-1125
    Thermal makes adapters to fit almost all plasma units. and Yes You can put an SL60 on a VPI. I might even have a few kits laying around. On the ESAB units you had to pin down the start cartridge because is a blow back torch on a HF machine. Done it many times.

Post Thanks / Like

All ESAB units can use the SL60 or even SL40. The 875 and 1125 see an marked improvement in out put power. The ESAB and Hypertherm guys Hated these adaptations. lol...

Post Thanks / Like

So I was working on a Receiver hitch plate to be used between a Garden Tractor and a Cherry picker and got to using the new consumables. It is not very easy to make nice clean cuts for me for some reason. Maybe it was because I was out of position squatting down while cutting IDK but My tips took a beating. I think either my technique is very poor or the settings on the machine are off or something else is going on that I am not able to figure out.

I have been wondering about the air going into the machine. The machine has an air filter water separator thing with a regulator and I'm not sure it is working correctly. According to the user manual the Air is suppose to be adjusted to 75 psi for all cutting or is that not correct. I am not sure about the psi thing.

Another thing is that the PSI gauge at the machine regulator reads 80 psi but when the air starts flowing the psi drops to about 60 psi. Would this cause problems? I have not been able to adjust the air so that it stays at 75 psi while air is flowing to torch.
    You only really need 60psi. Also note that there is or was a little window in the bottom front of the VPI that caused shutdowns. it was in case that little panel was removed and someone tried to use the machine. You often had to take a Sharpie and color in the window to fool the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    All ESAB units can use the SL60 or even SL40. The 875 and 1125 see an marked improvement in out put power. The ESAB and Hypertherm guys Hated these adaptations. lol...

Do not put a SL-40 torch on a High freq machine,The SL-40 torch is not rated for High freq.(does not work either) You will gain almost nothing with a SL-60 torch on your machine. Larger machines yes, but lose-lose on anything with the PT-31XT setup..You need to get the to flow @ 8O PSI while purging.. I had the 1125, so I know the consumable life sucked. Got better with the 1500 powercut,and PT-32 torch, Then the last Esab PT-37-38-39 is a fantastic torch.. I did put a SL-60 torch on a Thermal 38XL, and that doubled what that machine would cut on it's 29 amps..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thank you Scott. I will look into the filter/regulator combo to see if I can do anything to increase the flow psi.

Post Thanks / Like

It's showing 75 psi for XT consumables.. All my PT-31 machines wanted 80 psi. (380.500i, Powercut 650,but the125,250 used less psi with the short consumables) With the high freq setup, no blowing the arc out like the blow-back torch styles.. Old school still have a few things going for it.. No moving torch parts,and the smallest torch head there is. Right now wish I never sold the Handy-plasma 380. Esab fixed that machine over time..(Italian)

http://www.esab.ca/literature/plasma...i_f-15-228.pdf
    Last edited by Brand X; 04-06-2017 at 12:30 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was under the same impression of using 75 psi from the same manual. I read that thing twice and I get the 75 psi from what I have circled in the following illustration. I do notice how it says at least 75 psi.

Name:  pressure.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  58.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I made some more cuts this evening on thin gauge sheet for an engine plate and frame for the front suspension of a Scott's lawn tractor he he he. Using a 1.5" x 1.5" angle iron with two edges facing down and middle facing up I was able to make some really nice cuts with the 35/40 21008 nozzles.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 04-06-2017 at 01:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Start using the trigger lock, because it will help you relax from holding the button down. Works real well with that setup..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I cut 5/8" solid round with ease. I am learning to angle the nozzle away until the cutting is established and to not drag the nozzle on thicker gauge material. I will try the trigger lock. Not really making long enough cuts to worry about it yet. I had that aha moment earlier when cutting the engine plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Do not put a SL-40 torch on a High freq machine,The SL-40 torch is not rated for High freq.(does not work either) You will gain almost nothing with a SL-60 torch on your machine. Larger machines yes, but lose-lose on anything with the PT-31XT setup..You need to get the to flow @ 8O PSI while purging.. I had the 1125, so I know the consumable life sucked. Got better with the 1500 powercut,and PT-32 torch, Then the last Esab PT-37-38-39 is a fantastic torch.. I did put a SL-60 torch on a Thermal 38XL, and that doubled what that machine would cut on it's 29 amps..
    My mistake on the SL42. I only considered the back end of the torch, Not the front. The SL60 does have an adaptor and it will work by pinning the start cartridge. Is it a cost effective switch over? No Way. The adapter is $30. the torch is $550. You can buy several OEM style PT's for 1/2 of that.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw an sl60 in local CL for $200 but have no use for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just one of adapters for Esab work on almost all of the older machines. I have the Esab adapter for the 1125 on down, and the ATC machine end,Sl-60 ATC torch.. Used you can get the RTP torch, and forgo the ATC setup. About $300.00 on Ebay total, new /old stock.. It could be worth it for the right guy,machine.. Some machines do not seem to need the pin bushing, and others do. Best order one anyway.

The SL-40 torch would be a good one for the smaller Esab machines, but not in the cards..
    Last edited by Brand X; 04-06-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Ooops I goofed the torch on CL was actually a SL-40 https://merced.craigslist.org/tls/6028838846.html

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist