Thread: Weird sucker rod

Post Thanks / Like

Weird sucker rod

I was at one of the area pipe yards today and saw some weird sucker rod. Any one seen any sucker rod like this? I didn't have a chance to ask before I left.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weird sucker rod

Looks like a urethra reamer for an elephant. Must be a lot of pachyderms in that area.
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Post Thanks / Like

It's a helical rotor rod, used in downhole progressive cavity pumps (PCP). Here's an article about them. Copy the link and paste it in your browser window.

file:///E:/MISC/Defining-PCP.pdf
    Last edited by shortfuse; 03-22-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What shortfuse said. Theres a stator (tight rubber) that fits around the helical screw and pumps mud or water out. Its kind of like an Archemedes screw turned inside out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes'_screw

I use an 18 inch version to pump drywall texture mud thru 150 feet of hose. .Never saw one that length. Must be for a well.

This link has a good explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_cavity_pump

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    I use an 18 inch version to pump drywall texture mud thru 150 feet of hose. .Never saw one that length. Must be for a well.
    The ones in the picture were for downhole pumps in oil wells, but they can be used for any underground liquid, oil, water, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive known them as STATOR pumps but the stationary part isnt shown in the pic.

Shortfuse, where does the stator go? I cant imagine the stator part stretches the whole length of helical screw like my mud pumps .

I think cement pumps use a different type of pump because aggregate will chew up a stator. Oil would flow but the type I use are ruined with petroleum because the type of rubber in the stator. We use liquid soap to get the rubber over the helical screw. Last time I used KY_jelly and it worked better than soap. An 18 hp KOHLER drives the screw.
    Last edited by Insaneride; 03-24-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Ive known them as STATOR pumps but the stationary part isnt shown in the pic.

Shortfuse, where does the stator go? I cant imagine the stator part stretches the whole length of helical screw like my mud pumps .

I think cement pumps use a different type of pump because aggregate will chew up a stator. Oil would flow but the type I use are ruined with petroleum because the type of rubber in the stator. We use liquid soap to get the rubber over the helical screw. Last time I used KY_jelly and it worked better than soap. An 18 hp KOHLER drives the screw.
    Look at the link in post #3. There is a diagram showing the stator. Stators would have to be made with a material compatible with the liquid or slurry being pumped. Google PCP's...there's a ton of info out there on them.

OOOOOOPS!! Since yesterday, the link has changed, apparently and is not accessible. I'll try to find you another link. Usually the stator is the length of the rotor.
    Last edited by shortfuse; 03-24-2017 at 08:27 PM.