+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw: Grizzly vs Jet vs HF??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bandsaw: Grizzly vs Jet vs HF??

Quote Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
    I just had do to a repair on my HF 4X6 cause the blade somehow (probably my fault) slipped off the backing guide bearing and went between the side bearings, chewing one of them up pretty bad. I tried to pull the bearing but it was not coming off the shaft. I called HF and they said I had to buy the entire guide which was only around $10, so I said great, send me one. "Sorry, out of stock and no telling when we will get more". I said send me the one from the opposite side thinking I could scab the parts I needed off it, but they were out of stock too. I was able to fix it by cutting off the bearing, but if you can buy a saw where replacement parts are available you might want to go that way.
    A few months ago I had the blade tensioning block break on my harbor freight 7x12 bandsaw so I called them to order the $25 part....out of stock with a 10-12 week delivery time! Then I looked at the grizzly 7x12 bandsaw and saw the parts diagram was the EXACT SAME as the HF. I ordered the part from grizzly for like $25 and had it at my door by the end of the week. Just sayin, that's an option.

Post Thanks / Like

The wife actually told me to spend what I want. and I almost pulled the trigger on the evosaw380 at discountsteel.com (its on sale, and free shipping). But I can't justify the cost to myself for the amount I will use it. I am going to pull the trigger on an HF 4x6 tonight. I thing I will just make it fit, or perhaps move some less used items out to the shed, like my torches. With coupons I can get it for right at $190
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Those Evo saws are nice, we have the Dewalt brand, but they will fill yer floor and table space with lots of metal shards. Loud suckers too.

I think the Klutch would be a better choice.

I had the HF saw. It isn't a terrible choice but cutting angles is a pain because the fence needs a socket set to loosen and adjust for the angle you need. It is not a quick process.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a miter-head saw (Cummins) and wouldn't trade it (except for an Ellis!). Chop saws suck! I've got a Milwaukee Dry Cut saw works well, but it's not nearly as versatile as the bandsaw.
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_0288.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  63.4 KB

I know it is a bit more than you were thinking...but over the next decades of your projects...it is hard to beat a good band saw...

Try to get the best you can...they are very accurate if set up correctly...

Post Thanks / Like

Not to hijack the thread, but what are the thoughts on stand-up type band saws, vs the chop type?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I am a new guy, please don't be to harsh.

Welding Equipment so far:
    First Welder: Blue Hawk Flux-MIG 100 (no tanks, so only Flux for me right now)
    Second Welder: Miller MillerMatic 211 Auto-Set with MVP

Post Thanks / Like

my Klutch 7x12 cuts pretty accurate once set-up. got it for $950.

1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amatoolbox View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but what are the thoughts on stand-up type band saws, vs the chop type?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I would say the biggest difference is a basic upright saw you move the material UNLESS it is a self feeding one . A sell feeding one is big dollars.
    The horizontal one material is fixed and saw down feeds. Most popular for many.

Post Thanks / Like

Obi-Wan called. He said: "Get the Ellis".

You brought your wife twice in your op. She's behind you. You don't want to let her down. She sounds like a smart lady too, cause she's right, you won't be happy without the hydro down.

And another thing, the Syncrowave will know if you've cut your materiel on a HF saw.
    I am an industrial hobbyist

If I listed my tools, most of you would just cry.

Post Thanks / Like

The Ellis is undoubtedly SWEET!! But I couldn't justify the cost at the moment. I am getting ready to sell my house and have to have some maintenance done that I am going to pay for rather than do myself (paint the entire interior, pave the driveway, etc.) I desperately want to get out of CT, and move to a warmer, cost less to live kind of place, without a crazy, wild eyed, stuttering liberal for a governor (aka Dannel Malloy, and no I didn't misspell that). I would be letting the Mrs. down if this move doesn't come off. She REALLY wants to live in TX. I was able to get into the HF saw for under $200. And to be quite honest, I was pleasantly surprised by this thing. It is very quiet, cuts almost dead nuts square out of the box, and other than putting a better blade in it, giving it a good cleaning and lube, and maybe adjusting the blade guides a bit, this saw needs no further improvement at this point.

Now as to the Syncrowave, she has been good and true to me. But if she acts up, she is outta here to be replaced with an HTP Inverttig 221. The invertig is probably cheaper and easier to move, too.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    She REALLY wants to live in TX. )
    Now that's what I'd call a keeper!
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    Now that's what I'd call a keeper!

I know this is a welding, site but I must comment, louie1961 has an unusual (at least for this day and age) relationship. It seems that Louie and his lady care a great deal about each other, bravo!

Good luck in Tx

And another thing:

Have fun with your new saw!
    Last edited by ampedtech; 04-10-2017 at 01:18 PM. Reason: and another thing
    I am an industrial hobbyist

If I listed my tools, most of you would just cry.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the truth of it is we almost divorced a year ago at this time. I actually put my syncrowave up for sale for short time. Lots of time with our pastor and a good counselor has put us in a better place.
    Miller Multimatic 255

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist