+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welder or machinist responses needed!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welder or machinist responses needed!

To beat up on the products put out by the shrinks a little more:

Once while eating dinner in a fast-food joint, I happened to over hear part of the interview of a young job applicant, in which the manager was working from a list of questions supplied by the usual expert consultants to the corporation. She came to a question which evidently was meant to discover whether the kid know what it was like to get in a good groove while at work. Question to the kid: "Have you ever experienced "flow" while on a job?" It was all I could do to avoid butting in with, "'Flow'? Uh ma'am, it seems to me that that is a personal problem that women sometimes have, and would probably go to the ladies room to deal with it. Why ask a young man about that . . . ??"

Post Thanks / Like

Tool addiction? I don't have a problem... I can quit anytime.

I did my part and completed both surveys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Yep, or build another one
    No, that is a horrible solution to an overflowing workspace. When you build a bigger workspace and move all your stuff into it, you will have clean floor space for quite a while. Then you will drag home different pieces of equipment to fill that empty space.

If you simply build a second work space, you will always have the tool you need in the other work space. Soon, you tire of walking to the "other shop" to get said tool, and buy another. Now your new building gets filled with redundant copies of your most used tools, instead of new or different tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I don t know what you guys are complaining about, I answered no to the first question and it said I didn't need to go further!

Post Thanks / Like

to the op; visit my paypal account if you want an hour of my time
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

I suffered through it, the whole time I was thinking about how little I cared about every situation.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe
    Bunch of other metal cutting tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Smitty View Post
    Legit, I think, but of what value? My cranky opinion is that what professionals in Psychology get with their degrees is a license to guess. Look at the cosmically stupid generic job application questionaires you have to fill out these days before anyone in the company's HR department (another bad joke) will even look at your resume. Those questionnaires are designed by graduates in this aptly-termed "soft science." Psych grads have a different frame of reference than, in the example before us, men in the skilled trades. So when, as is typical, questions they pose can be answered differently depending on how the test-taker thinks about them, those interpreting the tests can and do frequently get erroneous ideas about the meaning of the answers. Yet they publish their "findings" in full confidence that they know how WE think.

I just took a real quick look at the start of her first set of questions. Right off the bat she asks if you are "a professional machinist." Like many another welder on this site, I have owned lathes and milling machines and the tooling and precision measuring equipment that goes with them all my life, but I am mostly self-taught and book-taught, having only taken a couple of semesters of community college Machining classes. I make money with my machine tools. Does that make me a "professional machinist"? Not by my thinking! I believe a professional machinist (capitalize that as: a Machinist) is a card-carrying journeyman who has served a formal apprenticeship. Next to him, I'm just a duffer, even though as I said, I do make money turning and milling stuff. So how does SHE look at this? Some of you will feel the same as I do about what it takes to be a REAL Machinist, where others with no more training than I have will just as reasonably say that because they have real skills and make real income, they certainly are machinists. Does the Psych prof know all this and properly accommodate the discrepancy (surely just one of many) in coming to conclusions? No doubt she thinks so; I think not!
    Seems to me that the " brain science " people need catagories for everything. The highly educated seem to find new ways to define a problem, where the common person looks to solve the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    No, that is a horrible solution to an overflowing workspace. When you build a bigger workspace and move all your stuff into it, you will have clean floor space for quite a while. Then you will drag home different pieces of equipment to fill that empty space.

If you simply build a second work space, you will always have the tool you need in the other work space. Soon, you tire of walking to the "other shop" to get said tool, and buy another. Now your new building gets filled with redundant copies of your most used tools, instead of new or different tools.
    The other building is just "storage" naturally

It's where the motorcycle, boat, 5 engine drives in various states of restoration, hot rod project under a tarp, tractor, plow truck, 4 wheeler, etc get stored.

That way the shop is just for working
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Seems to me that the " brain science " people need catagories for everything. The highly educated seem to find new ways to define a problem, where the common person looks to solve the problem.
    That was very eloquently said and so true.

Lincoln SA-250
    Lincoln SW 200
    Miller Thunderbolt
    SA-250 TMD
    Squarewave 200
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1951 G.E. welder

Post Thanks / Like

It's where the motorcycle, boat, 5 engine drives in various states of restoration, hot rod project under a tarp, tractor, plow truck, 4 wheeler, etc get stored.

FOUR engine drives in storage. I want you to pull the 250 in the shop Dave.

Lincoln SA-250
    Lincoln SW 200
    Miller Thunderbolt
    SA-250 TMD
    Squarewave 200
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1951 G.E. welder

Post Thanks / Like

First I have to ask what you're going to DO with this information. Is this information important? Why is it important? How do you know it's important? How can you justify your conclusions?

Have YOU ever been a welder? If not, how do you know your questions are germane? What is a "welder," anyway? I weld all the time, almost every day, here on my ranch. I've been to welding school, and I'm pretty good at SMAW, FCAW and GMAW (do you know what those are?). I've never been employed as a welder, though. Am I a welder? If I can do a TIG root stainless AWS certified 6G (do you know what that is?), but don't work as a welder, am I a welder?

There are all kinds of "professional" welders out there. I know guys who weld H-braces (do you know what those are?) for $8 an hour. They're welders. I know guys who weld pipelines for $80 an hour. They're welders, too. A guy down the road from me welds brush guards (do you know what those are?) and makes $12 an hour. Is he a welder? What about a tacker (do you know what that is?)? Is he a welder?

You're really jeopardizing your content validity if you're just asking people "are you a welder?"

That's not important, you say? How do you know it's not important? Why isn't it important?

And of course, your sample is really going to be skewed. There are a LOT of "welders" out there who aren't going to do a 1-hour online survey, so you're only getting the ones that would, and you have my word that they will not, under any circumstances, be representative of the subject group called "welders."
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Post Thanks / Like

Most academics have no idea what a blue collar worker does in a day. It is like visiting two separate countries. One quote was given to me: "Welding pipe is no different than welding plate only you weld around corners." This spoken by someone who wanted to remove all pipe training from welding programs. It looks like he got his way.

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes get teary eyed looking at my welds.......of course the tears are from laughter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    to the op; visit my paypal account if you want an hour of my time
    Yeah, let's see some of that tax payer funded grant money get back to the people it was stolen from in the first place.

At the beginning of this thread I laughed at the idea of this being "legitimate" but it wasn't because I didn't think it wasn't a real, officially sanctioned study. On the contrary, it's an all to deplorably real thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Tool addiction? I don't have a problem... I can quit anytime.

I did my part and completed both surveys.
    Well....shame on you for encouraging this kind of thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Good, Ruark; you and I are in total agreement. I hope the well-meaning prof comes back here, reads our posts, and thinks about it. She is trying to do something that's very difficult, and I believe her profession, so far, does not do these difficult things nearly as well as they could be done with more forethought . . . (and which STILL might fall short of real-world validity).

Post Thanks / Like

Your plow truck has ever been indoors?!?!?! It reminds me of a Jeep full sized Cherokee I once had. I paid to US Forest Service $626.50 for a six year old vehicle with 63000 miles 360 V8 4 speed, and 4.11 Locker. I drove it legal 10 years, and retired it to snow plow only duty. When the body got horrible on the back, I cut it off. My two year old son said the sharp got it. Cutting it off made it more useful for plowing. I still occasionally use the 8' Fisher that was on it. The rest of the Jeep left the same day the Westinghouse engine welder left, a sad day indeed.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Your plow truck has ever been indoors?!?!?!
    Sure has - I pulled it in for a few hours this year to fix the fuel pressure regulator.

One time it sat in there overnight when I forgot to pull it out after an oil change...thought I lost it...
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Is this legit?
    Not sure, do any of your welders want to take a survey? I asked mine, and they gave me the silent treatment. Guess that means no...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ironrail View Post
    She may find a cure for our addiction of buying tools and welding machines .
    What if I don't want to be cured!?
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reluctant to be psychoanalyzed. If they put a label on my condition, they are sure to seek a cure, or at least pass a law making it illegal.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

My co-workers say this is the kind of therapist I would be

Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldalittle View Post
    Not sure, do any of your welders want to take a survey? I asked mine, and they gave me the silent treatment. Guess that means no...
    Mine all hum. Sometimes louder...sounds like a fan. I always thought that was 'cause they were happy. Some are loud, hot stuff spews out of a pipe on top. In every crowd is a very loud happy guy, life of the party sort.

Willie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Suggestion: nobody wants to do an hour long survey
    Only took 25 mins. I love science.

Post Thanks / Like

These efforts are to attain an understanding of whats going on with men these days. Stay strong fellas, work forward and stay sober, ( at least through the week days )

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36116166

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rinceton-study

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ica-skyrockets

I did type out a bunch of other info, but it sounds nasty towards the modern agenda so best of it to you all. You cant help someone by hurting someone else. Wake up progressives

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist