Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guys that run a PART TIME welding & fab business?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guys that run a PART TIME welding & fab business?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    One last word of advice and it is the most important. No matter how much time you can stand to put into the job, you be damn sure you leave time for your wife. That don't mean bonking a quickie before you fall asleep. Take her out to eat more, lots of random flower deliveries for no reason, what ever it takes to keep her smiling. That money ain't worth losing that. Good luck.
    Somebody make this a sticky or one of those scrolling things at the bottom of the page.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJ_FABRICATION View Post
    That's why I'm trying to steer towards work that is easier to work around my schedule.

Edit- meant to quote Pete.s
    I understand but you don't have a clue how much time your little baby is going to take out of your schedule. Having a baby is not like going to the dentist for your wife either. Complications of different types may happen. And some babies have the nerve of screaming and waking you up in the middle of the night - again and again and again. For months if you're unlucky. Sleep deprivation doesn't go well with full time job, part time business and a family. Babies don't give a **** about your schedule either.

My advice is to not plan on having a lot of time on your hands for the first six months of the baby's life.

Ignore at your own peril.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pete.S. View Post
    My advice is to not plan on having a lot of time on your hands for the first six months of the baby's life.

Well said. I have two boys of my own...

Post Thanks / Like

I understand but you don't have a clue how much time your little baby is going to take out of your schedule. Having a baby is not like going to the dentist for your wife either. Complications of different types may happen. And some babies have the nerve of screaming and waking you up in the middle of the night - again and again and again. For months if you're unlucky. Sleep deprivation doesn't go well with full time job, part time business and a family. Babies don't give a **** about your schedule either.

This.

My babies (yep, twins) are 7 months old, and haven't slept through the night yet. Most nights we're still up 3-4 times with them. Without what is most likely unhealthy amounts of caffeine, I wouldn't be surviving my 8-5 job. Before they were born, I thought I'd have all kinds of time for projects while they napped. Now, when they nap, I think to myself "that's not a bad idea" and take a nap myself.
    Hobart Handler 187
    Hobart T.C. 295
    Everlast SuperCut 50P

Post Thanks / Like

So true, I remember those days. Luckily my youngest is 3yr so now I just have to keep an eye on him to make sure he isn't sticking forks in outlets or his finger in the dogs butt...

Post Thanks / Like

True what Pete s. Typed. However I went from part time to full time while my was pregnant with our second of 6. She took maternity leave then went back to work as a teacher. Her salary supported us. She taught one and a half years after maternity leave and has not worked outside our home since. That was 15 years ago.

I actually quit my job as a teacher while she was pregnant. I remember going to the board of education to fill out some paper work. I stopped at the step. Sat down. Thought "I am not doing this anymore". Called my wife said "I don't want to teach anymore" her response without hesitation, "ok".

Ohhh. Almost got emotional there ... It's ok I am alone. No tears if nobody sees you.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm good now. What I was gonna say.

"Is it profitable"

You should figure out what taxes, license, insurance etc. That will tell you what you need to earn in order to reach ZERO profit. And are you working for less than minimum wage. Will extra income bump you into another tax bracket?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget replacement of equipment and or repairs of welder ,pickup,trailers, etc purchasing of additional clothing coveralls shirts jeans etc tapwelder makes an excellent point about taxes so good book keeping skills help which I am sure a lot of us learn the hard way . As I said in my earlier post I hope you have a very understanding wife . Two divorces later I have one that understands .

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should make it clear that I'm using the term "business" very loosely. Maybe I should have used hobby in the title. This is definitely not my main priority. Not even close. I was just looking to start a discussion to help me put the parts in motion that will hopefully one day end up a legitimate business. Like I said before, this line of income is not a means to support my family. That is taken care of. Right now I still have spare time and want to work towards the dream. When the baby gets here that will obviously be put in hold. Not sure why somebody wouldn't understand how much time a baby takes up... they've been around awhile. Believe it or not, I used to be a baby. I kid you not.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd think long and hard about it!! I'm on my second marriage and neither one of them have been a big fan of it. They love the extra income and all the fun little things that come along with it but have a hard time giving up that free time in exchange for it. My son just turned 10mo yesterday, let me tell ya it's a game changer!!!

If you do go through with it, buy extras of everything! keep a marker board or list of what you need to order. If it's something really important I put it on a piece of masking tape on the front door of my shop! I even now have a spare 30a spoolgun because if mine goes down on a night or weekend I'm SOL! As already mentioned meeting with customers is tough but very doable! Be sure you don't require much sleep! I've been working 6-10's on nights for 2 weeks now and trying to get stuff through the shop as well. haven't had over a 5 hour nap since I can't remember when!

Hire out. several years ago my business started growing to the point where I have a black log about 9-10 months out of the year so I started even hiring my lawn mowed and snow pushed. For what they charge I'm coming out way money ahead let alone the cost and time of maintaining a mower.

Make sure you're not doing it for the money. If you are you're doomed. There'll be times that you're really busy, having an argument with the mrs, exhausted and you'll ask yourself...is this really worth it?? If you're doing it because you enjoy the work the answer will likely be yes...if you're just doing it for the money...I'd lean towards no...

Best of luck my friend!
    -Doogie

Miller 350P
    Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI w/ Excel Power
    Lincoln LN25 suitcase welder
    XMT 304/22a feeder
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX
    Miller Econotig
    Hobart Handler 140
    (2) Uni-Hydro 42-14
    Hypertherm 65 plasma
    WEBB Gap bed lathe

Post Thanks / Like

My youngest slept with us because since day 1 that is the only place she would sleep is in my arms. Not her mothers, mine. 10 freaking months of no sleep. Finally had enough and starting the crib training. Then don't forget kids get sick. Wasn't un common for my kids to be in the hospital a few days here and there, especially with **** they catch from day care.

Start your business but start out SMALL. Don't try to do everything at once and make a million products. Start with one or two and keep it manageable.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Even though you are still waiting on the birth of your first child, you should start to think about when you are going to have any more. I had two kids that were 3.5 years apart and wish I had them closer together. When they are young they will be able to play with each other and keep each other company. If you wait a while, then just when you are finally getting back to a rhythm, it is time to start all over again with the diapers, crying, no sleep, etc. At times, I am so glad my kids are now out of the house and on their own.

Once the kids start school you may think you will have more time but that is not always the case. School activities, after school care, sports teams, school projects, homework, etc will eat up a lot of time.

I have a four day 10 hour schedule as well for my full time job. I work Mon-Thurs and have a three day weekend nearly every weekend. I also have a metal arts and crafts business that keeps me busy. Between being out in the shop, updating my web pages, attending 12 or so craft shows a year, and selling online, I always seem to be out of time.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hire a couple good guys and a few dummies.... turn your side business into your real business.
    68' redface
    64' redface
    78' blackface
    Squarewave 200
    Trailblazer 302
    Miller 12vs
    Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150
    325 Xtreme
    Victor cut master 52
    Betenbender shear& brake
    Scotchman iron worker
    Wellsaw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJ_FABRICATION View Post
    Just wondering how everyone manages juggling a 40hr (or more) job as well as running a part time welding/fabrication business, AND family time.

I have a 40hr job where I work 4/10's. I'm off Friday through Monday so that's when most of my side work is done along with afternoons when I need to. Where I really struggle is meeting customers for estimates and finding time/help to do installs ( I do a lot of handrails, gates) other big problem is I live 30min from town so if I run out of consumables on the weekend I'm out of luck till Monday. Obviously with that I just need to stay on top of my supplies better and think ahead, but I always manage to forget something. Oh, and my wife is pregnant with our first child and there's a decent list of things to get done around the house.
    I'm moving to AL where there is an 8 day week! F-M = 4 days off+4/10's.

I would set priorities; make your wife #1 (happy wife, happy life), primary job #2 and if you have any time and energy left, do your side gig. Have clients send pics and drawings on simpler projects for estimates to save travel time, your customers will like it too b/c the turnaround on pricing will be quicker.

I tried 4/10's for years when I had a crew, it amazed me the resistance I got to the concept.
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

Post Thanks / Like

My Honey and I do not have children, And I run a small Hobby/ business , welding and fabing also, My Hat goes off to the guys that can pull it off with both a wife and kids , Let alone young kids, Not in it for the money as anything I make just turns into more stuff I have no room for, more so just like welding and fabricating, but extra vacation money is nice. As for the cars, trucks jeeps, ect, I stay as far away as I can get !
    trailblazer 325 efi excel
    Slugger saw
    Miller 12vs
    Miller 135
    hypertherm45xp
    Lincoln Sp 200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 Ac/ Dc
    hougen and Milwaukee mags
    trailblazer 250g "1987"
    HTP aluminum feeder
    ahp alpha 200
    dangerous amount of tools

Post Thanks / Like

Although results may vary, it might not be a bad idea to see if your wife would like to get involved in the business. Me personally i married my wife because she never ceases to amaze me and helping me run a business is no different . Also as others have said their is a time for work and time for family the line must be drawn and never crossed or both will suffer.

Post Thanks / Like

just a few years ago i did a lot of side work. calling it a business would be a stretch. i advertised on craigs and had an out of state contractor who would call me when he needed someone local with a dob welding license. no machine, no truck and no equipment, just me. the last couple years at the day job there's carte blanche on ot and the time and a half rate approaching a hundred dollars per i eliminated my search for extra work. i took my #1 daughter with me a few times to see if she had an interest in the trade. she didn't. taking the wife? there would surely be a homicide on the jobsite.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 97ZJ View Post
    This.

My babies (yep, twins) are 7 months old, and haven't slept through the night yet.
    I'll give you a piece of advice that you might think weird but it works if you want a good nights sleep, let the babies sleep with you and the wife. Not only will you sleep through the night but it is so cool waking up in the morning with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WildWestWelder View Post
    I'll give you a piece of advice that you might think weird but it works if you want a good nights sleep, let the babies sleep with you and the wife. Not only will you sleep through the night but it is so cool waking up in the morning with them.
    that may prove troublesome by the time they reach adolescence.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    that may prove troublesome by the time they reach adolescence.
    Yeah, well you kick 'em out by the time they can drive.

But, two of our three kids were born at home and were in our bed the same night, right back where they got started.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WildWestWelder View Post
    Yeah, well you kick 'em out by the time they can drive.

But, two of our three kids were born at home and were in our bed the same night, right back where they got started.
    no thanks,been there and done that. now waiting on the grandkids but at 62 i'm way too young to be a grandfather.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

I have had several big jobs where my wife helps with the welding of them. She hates the torch but actually loves the wedling.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 35, married with two kids, a 4 year old and a 1 year old. I do a lot of stuff on the side just because I enjoy it. It's definitely stressful, but it's worth it. Satisfying to ship finished things out. I have to say, after doing the side gig for a while, I much prefer to make things that I want to make and sell them. The one off stuff, making specific things for one person, gets old. Typically the customers that find you aren't the ones that want to pay top dollar, they think if you work out of your garage, they should be getting a deal. That being said, I've always tried to make things fair for both parties. I don't really have a minimum. I also have learned that saying no is the best thing you can do. Don't stress to take work just to get work. Pick and choose what you want. I've moved away from one off things and more towards making and selling things that I want. Then, you are on your own schedule. I ended up selling my plasma table because everything worth money is (usually) large, a pain to ship, and people usually want one off work, even if it's very simple, it just eats up time and gets old. I got tired of doing signs. There is no way I'd be doing railings or stuff like that requiring install. You won't have any time with a wife and kid. At least if you build what you want, you can work at night after the kids are in bed....

Post Thanks / Like

Adding to what i said the other day . a question you might want to ask yourself is, are you ever going to want to turn this into a full time job or will this always be strictly a side thing? If one day your going to want to strike out on your own then you need to push and push hard to get it off the ground . If this will always just be a side thing i would take it easy and only take work i enjoy doing with plenty of time to do it in .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    no thanks,been there and done that. now waiting on the grandkids but at 62 i'm way too young to be a grandfather.
    facebook was all fun until a couple friends starting posting photos of their grandkids Grandkids WTF? oh right guess I am at that age (51)
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge