Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Littlebit2, 1947 Wisconsin VF4 powering a Lincoln 200 Ampere Special welder, photos

Post Thanks / Like

Littlebit2, 1947 Wisconsin VF4 powering a Lincoln 200 Ampere Special welder, photos

another barn find, Engine dates nov 47 as does the lincoln serial number. i pulled the pan and cleaned 1 1/2" sludge out. no oil filter, cleaned up some wire connections and it started right off. video of it running at bottom.

sludge

video of it running, thanks 4 looking.

My engine & vintage cat videos, thanks 4 looking.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/d4mike01/videos

2. Likes Bud1, guajilloweld03 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Littlebit2, 1947 Wisconsin VF4 powering a Lincoln 200 Ampere Special welder, pho

I hope having clean oil isn't too big a shock for the Wisconsin!! From the look of the pan I'll bet an oil change will be needed soon.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Littlebit2, 1947 Wisconsin VF4 powering a Lincoln 200 Ampere Special welder, pho

it hasn't run in 25-30 years and just sat in a dirt floor barn. looks the key was left on and the points fried. plus all wiring connections had 2b cleaned up. lots of corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    I hope having clean oil isn't too big a shock for the Wisconsin!! From the look of the pan I'll bet an oil change will be needed soon.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I think you caught the Wisconsin engine/Lincoln welder bug . Yes I would change the oil again soon by the look of that oil pan. Some guys change the oil more frequently when they see sludge build up like yours. Does your machine weld? It sure does sound nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1968-'70 Lincoln SA 200 code 6633
    Millermatic 200 serial#JE834063

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Wrenchguy, we have the same vintage welder. It always worked great, the only issue I had with it was the crank start, I would hold my head over the air cleaner to keep from being hit with the crank when it starts. Ours doesn't have a governor so we just pull the throttle out to second notch and go for it. Have a great day. John

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we know what the " AS " stands for that you(we) questioned in your last thread about your '57 Lincoln DC 250 AS; Ampere Special!.....I can see that in your machines tag photo and the fella named Sparkie said he thought that what " AS " stood for. Case closed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crugg65 View Post
    Mike, I think you caught the Wisconsin engine/Lincoln welder bug . Yes I would change the oil again soon by the look of that oil pan. Some guys change the oil more frequently when they see sludge build up like yours. Does your machine weld? It sure does sound nice!

With the pan off, I had the machine overhead and the block insides looked new, red gyptol and all. I believe that recent oil changes they put in detergent oil when they were using it. (30 year back) From my experiences seeing block insides using non detergent oil the innards were black. I think this machine without a oil filter using d-oil washed black &everything to the pan. I will sure keep a eye on it. I'm using non-d-oil in it. Gonna heat shrink tubing some frayed w-generator wiring b4 i try weld test.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by headframe View Post
    Hello Wrenchguy, we have the same vintage welder. It always worked great, the only issue I had with it was the crank start, I would hold my head over the air cleaner to keep from being hit with the crank when it starts. Ours doesn't have a governor so we just pull the throttle out to second notch and go for it. Have a great day. John
    my 57 from a few weeks back is a handle start only model. I wish this 47 was more primitive without the extras, i'm keeping this 1 because its oilder. the 57 being handle start i think is neater, but gonna let it go down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes "Ampere Special" is the model, but has to mean something to make the decision on the settings and lugs ur bolt to. I don't understand the rpm A B C settings mean. There are no notches on the throttle rod/handle to indicate a rpm setting. No tach. Need specific operators manual. Thanks. This 1 will look good refurbed /customized in the back of a restored back in the day shop truck.

Last edited by wrenchguy; 04-25-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds pretty good.

Name:  T.PNG
Views: 646
Size:  5.0 KB
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

welding today video. not sure what settings were…. to hot though. thanks 4 looking, headless wrench guy.

13. Likes Bud1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned to you before I have a project DC-180-AS and my TF Wisconsin has a locking throttle lever with a metal tag that has the A-B-C settings to adjust engine speed with the rod type/diameter. Your "ampere special" might not have that tag anymore; couldn't tell by photos. Also you must know the three negative lugs are setup with lower current is top lug; a higher current for middle and highest for bottom lug. Try switching to middle lug and try again with that stainless rod; I agree it was a little too hot. Then engine speed it is your current adjustment; like a rheostat on other welding rigs. Also I got a little chuckle when the spent rod landed on the small ax on your bench....it started to smoke and now the ax got it's own "battle scars" !

Post Thanks / Like

theres no a,b,c, tag near the throttle tee handle. its kinda veriner locking style, i think its original. i don't understand exactly what the tag would do? does it provide measurement numbers that the handle be pulled from the dash panel? thanks 4 ur interest. mike

I mentioned to you before I have a project DC-180-AS and my TF Wisconsin has a locking throttle lever with a metal tag that has the A-B-C settings to adjust engine speed with the rod type/diameter. Your "ampere special" might not have that tag anymore; couldn't tell by photos. Also you must know the three negative lugs are setup with lower current is top lug; a higher current for middle and highest for bottom lug. Try switching to middle lug and try again with that stainless rod; I agree it was a little too hot. Then engine speed it is your current adjustment; like a rheostat on other welding rigs. Also I got a little chuckle when the spent rod landed on the small ax on your bench....it started to smoke and now the ax got it's own "battle scars" !

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning Mike, are there any notches on throttle shaft? That would be your ABC settings. If not then you would adjust engine speed for current intensity.

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning Mike, are there any notches on throttle shaft? That would be your ABC settings. If not then you would adjust engine speed for current intensity.

no, i looked all over the handle shaft looking for markings of any kind. probably not original to machine. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

it be easy enough to set rpm with tach and mark the shaft if i knew what the numbers were for a, b, c. i kinda like this throttle rod w/handle because of the ease of locking it at any setting. maybe time to call bob.

Post Thanks / Like

The throttle position rpm a,b,c controls voltage. Nice save wrenchguy.

You could put a volt meter on it to see if its got any weld output.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike some old info I found for you

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lincoln 200 Special serial number A193065 that has been in my family for 72 years. I am restoring it. It was painted orange originally. Can you tell me where to look for the original paint code so I can get the color correct?
    Gary

22. Likes Bud1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am restoring a Lincoln 200 Special serial number A193065 with the Wisconsin VF4 engine. It has been in my family for 72 years. It appears that it was painted orange originally and I am trying to locate paint codes for it so I can get the paint right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    LarkName:  Wisconsin welder.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  134.9 KBName:  Dad's old welder.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  148.9 KB

24. Likes Bud1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a crusty machine last week that had been painted blue but it was orange underneath. All orange when I got to the protected side of the gas tank. I think it is a 1954 model. I am also interested in that colour shade for a restore if I can make the engine run.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Son of a Welder!; 05-06-2022 at 04:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The odds of finding a 40's/50's fleet color code that can still be mixed in modern paints is slim to none. The old lead based enamels and nitrocellulose lacquers that they mixed are obsolete. I don't think you guys would be far wrong if you just pulled an Allis Chalmers orange machinery paint enamel off the shelf at a farm dealership (Case IH should be able to order it in)...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Son of a Welder! View Post
    I picked up a crusty machine last week that had been painted blue but it was orange underneath. All orange when I got to the protected side of the gas tank. I think it is a 1954 model. I am also interested in that colour shade for a restore if I can make the engine run.
    Thank you for the reply. I got some Allis Chalmers Orange paint and painted a piece of metal and held it against the back of the fuel tank which had not been in the sun and it matched very very well. So I just pushed on! LOL

I have a 1949 Allis Chalmers Model G so I got enough paint to do both. This old welder still fires up on half a pull.

Thanks Again

28. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20220507_140553.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  72.4 KBName:  IMG_20220507_140403.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  84.7 KBName:  IMG_20220507_140626.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  69.0 KBName:  IMG_20220507_140516.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  375.4 KB

30. Likes guajilloweld03, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really nice!! Bob