Thread: Another use for Argon

Post Thanks / Like

Another use for Argon

Here is something I have been doing for years and it has been very successful for me.
    When I use paints and hardeners when I close a partially used can to be stored to be used later. I use Argon gas from my Tig setup to drive out the oxygen/air out of the container. This stops the paint from getting a skin on top and the hardener from hardening. I have a quick connect fitting in the line between the tank and Tig unit. The flow meter regulates the gas to a slow low pressure flow Argon is heavier so it pushes out the air before I attach the lid or cap on the container. It only takes about 15 seconds of flow to do the trick. This also works on PVC glue too.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another use for Argon

Thanks That Is a good tip!
    Welders: IdealArc AC/DC 250
    Lincoln AC 225 converted to AC/DC
    O/A torches
    Lots of Hammers Clamps and Grinders

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea.

Thanx for the post.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you that it is marvelous to long-term store weed, too. Nothing respires well in pure Ar. Maybe because my lungs are full of it daily (Ar) that I think the flavor is improved. Thankfully, the blessed plant is legal here in AK.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the info, I have lots of argon and next time I open some paint or harder I will try this.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of Argon used for preserving food but paint is a new one. Thanks acourtjester. Gave me some crazy ideas.

Ive used it to suffocate hot condensate fires and it works. I tried to suffocate a spider with a thousand baby spiders on her back but that didnt work.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember Nitrogen being popular in the Food preservation articles? Food doesn't freezer burn nor get mushy (vegetables). Argon is an INERT gas so it makes sense that it would work.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also fill your tires with argon. It even better than nitrogen.

Post Thanks / Like

Another paint related tip is, if you are using an oil base enamel or primer and painting it on with a brush, you can immerse the bristles in water to keep them from drying out. If you are going to be priming or painting for several days, this can be handy to do. No need to clean the brush at the end of the day or have to start over with a new brush the next time. I have used brushes for over a week at a time doing this. As long as you keep the air away from the wet paint on the bristles, you can continue to re-use the same brush over and over again. Works with roller covers, too.

Post Thanks / Like

With oil based paint, I just wrap the brush in aluminum foil and stick it in the freezer.
    What's more important is wetting your brush with solvent before using it. Water for water based paint, mineral spirits for oil based. Just enough to moisten the bristles (wring or shake out any extra). It keeps the paint from wicking all the way up the bristles to the handle, and makes cleaning much easier (and the brushes will last longer).

As for protecting paint, yeah, argon would work, but butane would work even better.

I know that argon is used for preserving wine. But I can't see it helping with freezer burn. That's not an oxidation process, but rather a loss of moisture to the surrounding air. That requires a good seal (and non-permeable container), more than sealing in with a preservative gas.