Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New AHP 250 amp 3 in 1 MIG TIG STICK

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New AHP 250 amp 3 in 1 MIG TIG STICK

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    but don't forget to say that eastwood buys them as cheap as possible and AHP uses higher quality parts and different software etc. Makes a world of difference in quality
    What many don't realize is that any large importer like AHP, Eastwood, ESAB etc are constantly being approached by many of the hundreds of welder manufacturers in China with offers to make the products cheaper. AHP does not take the bait, I think sometimes Eastwood and other companies do. I know Mr Livingstone's favorite welder brand has tried to get AHP and Everlast to let them build machines. But quality was sub par and inconsistent. Duncan is in China every build so he gets plenty of time and offers to look at other manufacturers. This also gives AHP leverage with their manufacturer to maintain quality and costs as they know how easy it is for any large importer to jump ship to another company.
    I would not be surprised if Eastwood made some changes to reduce their per piece cost...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    What many don't realize is that any large importer like AHP, Eastwood, ESAB etc are constantly being approached by many of the hundreds of welder manufacturers in China with offers to make the products cheaper. AHP does not take the bait, I think sometimes Eastwood and other companies do. I know Mr Livingstone's favorite welder brand has tried to get AHP and Everlast to let them build machines. But quality was sub par and inconsistent. Duncan is in China every build so he gets plenty of time and offers to look at other manufacturers. This also gives AHP leverage with their manufacturer to maintain quality and costs as they know how easy it is for any large importer to jump ship to another company.
    I would not be surprised if Eastwood made some changes to reduce their per piece cost...

I have used many machines from the company that AHP and eastwood buy from. I really like them. It's a good manufacture for mig/tig. I haven't tried their plasma yet.

But exactly the point as we both said. Machines may look similar but they are very different
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

No, SouthPaw,

Topwell is not my "favorite welder brand". I just think it deserves a fair evaluation, which it hasn't gotten yet, that I've seen from firsthand users. I mean, whenever I ask about feedback, people seem to accuse me of being an agent for Topwell or some similar conspiracy. I've never even been in the physical presence of the Topwell AluTIG unit that I'm still curious about, since it has waveforms, amplitude control, and MIX TIG, which are all of the the most advanced features to be found in any one TIG welding unit, and at an affordable price, too.

My current favorite welder brands that I either actually use or recommend are Everlast EXT models and the AHP AlphaTIG 200, even though those brands are just importing retailers, whereas Topwell is an actual producer/retailer, I believe, and is a potential competitor with other brands marketed in North America.

Eastwood has other units that undoubtedly come out of the same factory as former AHP units have, some of which seem to have been dropped from its lineup now, though. You know, like those lower powered MIG units AHP carried for a short time.

So, I see nothing new in this move for Eastwood. Actually, the Eastwood trajectory seems to be upward in their offerings. You know, how Eastwood now even has a full-featured, digitally-interfaced TIG unit priced at around $999, which is a step up from their ultra-basic offerings in TIG units.

Everlast and AHP own their respective brand names and undoubtedly have agreements with their producers to have an exclusive ability to sell certain unit designs in a particular market/region, without having their producer sell an identical unit with a different name and coloring on them to other retailers.

Some Asian factories will sell common units to any retailing importer, who then just market them under their own name. And that’s not a bad thing, either. I mean, my first TIG unit was a CAT520D, which was a 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma unit that I bought for about $500, 8 or more years ago. And it was brilliant in its performance and value. A friend has it to this day. But it was branded as a GiantTech unit, which was identical to a Lotos unit, and several other importers sold the same unit with their label added. Lotos (a CA corporation whose incorporators all seem to have Chinese names, and may be acting as a N.A. agent for the Asian factory) didn’t seem to cry about that, as it undoubtedly wasn’t part of their deal, i.e., exclusivity. And consumers, like me, certainly weren’t crying about it either. No, quite the opposite. I was ecstatic about the performance and value of the CAT520D, regardless of what label it carried.

This newest AHP 250 amp MIG unit is undoubtedly different enough than the old design to be sold by AHP without AHP getting upset that their producer/factory is creating undue identical competition by supplying the old design and unit to another retailer in the same market region, which AHP briefly marketed under the AHP name and coloring, but dropped for some reason and now is selling this new unit, which looks great. Of course, Eastwood undoubtedly doesn’t now own the old design, as that undoubtedly stays with the factory.

I believe it's much the same on the Australian continent, with how TokenTools seems to market units that are nearly identical to units that Everlast formerly sold, but have updated to newer ones for North America, and for the Austrailian marketplace too.

Of course, there’s a lot of conjecture here on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post

Last edited by C. Livingstone; 05-24-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I saw a video iirc where Jim Colt mentioned power switches are being placed in the rear of the machine where the power comes into it for electrical code compliance.
    They must have changed the code then, at least for some types of machines because the new Hypertherm 45xp has the switch in the front.

I have a AHP 200xp TIG and have had no issues with it. It welds great, so from my experience AHP makes a good machine for the price.