+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I know it's just me but...

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's just me but...

I have the perfect end for whatever 'engineer' designed the DINSE connector: to be suspended over the pits of hell by his you-know-what and forced to disassemble, in less than one minute, one after another, his lovely invention until his you-know-what rots off and is relieved of his misery by incineration. And I mean the real ones, not Chinese knock-offs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I know it's just me but...

Am I missing something? DINSE has always seemed pretty straight forward and easy to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to hang engineers upside down by their toenails and drip hot candle wax into their noses.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    Am I missing something? DINSE has always seemed pretty straight forward and easy to me.
    Thinking the same...puzzled...
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

They are pretty complicated, line up the flats and twist
    I always tried to work with the oldest hand on the job to gain knowlege but now I can't find any.

Post Thanks / Like

i believe all big machines should have studs that you bolt your leads to also. i hate dinse connectors also

because i was brought up with tweco. . . .i usually adapt my smaller machines to that style anyway (whether tweco or lenco) with a short section male dinse x female tweco.

solves all my problems and lets all my whips and extensions intermix between machines
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Pardon me, I was too opaque by using the word 'disassemble'. By that I mean, take one off a lead. Putting one on, no problema, now take it off for the joy ride. Again, the China ones are so gummy that it's relatively easy. The real ones are made of ballistic rubber used (I think) in bullet proof tires for army vehicles in Afghanistan.

Now that I have calmed down, of course there is a simple solution (which NO one in Alaska has, BTW):

https://www.millerwelds.com/accessor...to-male-210061

However, my larger point was and still is, why in heck would they make something so stupidly unfriendly? How many times have I added or removed a Tweco or Lenco with the only possible problem being a frozen grub screw? And that NEVER happens with just a dab of never seize.

Post Thanks / Like

only ever used the tweco stuff myself, anything dinse has the converted connection you listed.

but even that said i had my first problem swapping a lead end just last week. but it was an auction buy that looked to have been sitting in the ocean for a couple years so i'll let that slip.

hell even all the weld machines i've bought from the lws come with tweco lugs and ends standard
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Post Thanks / Like

Only Twecos I've ever dealt with were the ones I had replace because they no longer cammed/gripped together ... had to cut them off with a bandsaw because the set screws had seized...they got replaced with DINse connectors...problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

They are a bugger to remove once installed onto a lead. I know exactly what you're talking about. A couple of strong flat blade screwdrivers and some bad words.

Post Thanks / Like

My Lincoln square wave 275 has dinse connectors on the front. The problem is they wear out much faster than a tweeco. (especially if certain employees over tighten them.) Since I use that machine for tig and stick welding it is constantly getting switched out. The ground has held up fine because it doesn't get switched out but the stinger/ torch connector takes a lot of abuse. And its that "special" one that costs an arm and a leg because the shielding gas runs through the center.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. They are a pain.

The ones with the screw connectors (the miller kind) are a lot better than the rubber cover.

I've always used tweco on my own stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are that rough on the Dinse engineer, what horrors have you planned for the Ford spark plug engineers?

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    If you are that rough on the Dinse engineer, what horrors have you planned for the Ford spark plug engineers?

Willie
    You mean the kind that break? Been there on a expedition. Shop wants 240 to replace all 8 plugs. My buddy wanted me to do it for 25$. Figured it wasn't that difficult. That was not the case

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Tweco, Dinse to me are too small and easy to cam out.
    As for the Ford engineers, something painful and slow. Although saying that, I just bought a Nissan Frontier that to change the oil filter you have to remove an access panel that gives you an opening about 3" x 5" to work thru and when you do get the filter off the oil runs over the front steering/suspension. That, and the filter is the size of one that should be on a two cylinder engine............M

Post Thanks / Like

Sound like the issue is the dinse boot. I recall my connectors mating well. However at some point the boot strips and the set screw will not hold the boot in place as you try to twist. Eventually the boot becomes loose and will not stay in place. Hence arcing as the leads are dragged across objects.

I don't use long leads any more...extension cords and small machines. Actually my complaint would better connection at the machine so they don't twist loose an the cables are moved.

Ironically I never have issues at the lugs at the machine. Only where male female connectors come together as extensions.

As far as ford plugs. I have been fortunate . mine completely blow out. Repair usually $100 for parts. At least you can drive on 7 cylinders. Done it 3 times in 2 vehicles. $240 is probably minimum for an easily accessible plug. What happened to the days when you could mount a tool box next to the engine or sit on the fender inside the engine compartment?
    Last edited by tapwelder; 06-03-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

In most cases I've seen (after working in a GM assembly plant for five years) engineers are only interested in making things as easy as possible to put together.

Not to take apart or repair lol

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one of those Ford V-8s with the impossible-to-change spark plugs. I'm hoping the engine wears out before I need to change the plugs.

150k miles so far on the original set so I figure I'm halfway there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    I've got one of those Ford V-8s with the impossible-to-change spark plugs. I'm hoping the engine wears out before I need to change the plugs.

150k miles so far on the original set so I figure I'm halfway there!
    I have a 99 f250 with nearly 400k. Suprisingly its easy to replace spark plugs. It looks intimidating.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'll hijack back my own thread and say that your Ford can have NOTHING over a Chrysler minivan, at least my wife's long-gone '99 Voyager. Unless one has arms as strong as an apes and as skinny as a spider crab, you can forget all those IdiotTube's about doing a plug change without removing the intake manifold, along with just about everything else above the valve covers.....I do recall saying something similar about Chrysler engineers - actually, perhaps even more ghoulish.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist