+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Parts Stores....

Post Thanks / Like

Auto Parts Stores....

I have had pretty good luck at Advanced Auto Parts when I need something NOW.

Ordered a stoplight switch for the Chebby Sunday and was told "Be here by 10AM on Tuesday"
    Go back Tuesday.
    Nope not there....be here tomorrow.
    Go back Wednesday.
    "Nope not here..let me find out where it is"

After wandering around the store for 30 mins they tell me they dont know where it is so we will order this again and I will have it by 10 THURSDAY. (Today)

So in the mean time (Tuesday at the shop) I took the old one out and fixed it.
    Works perfect but I am not sure how long my fix will last.

Should have just gone to Rock Auto and ordered one from them.
    I would have had it by now.

Oh well thats how it goes sometimes....

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Auto Parts Stores....

Shame to say. Brick and motar stores will be defunct. I just do rock auto most of the time now. I went to NAPA $$ the other day for belts for my ride on tractor. They said 36.00 each for the drive belt and deck belt and they would not have them for a couple days. No thanks I will pass. Went on ebay and got them for 9 bucks each, free shipping and were there in 3 days.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Most parts people at the parts stores are not even qualified to ask "would you like cheese with that?"

Post Thanks / Like

I just put new front brakes on my Chebby, and got all the parts from Rock Auto. Ordered on a Sunday had everything in hand by Tuesday. I love those guys. The only downside is the Fedex driver was grumping about the weight of the rotors.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

If it's not in thier computer they are helpless. I needed a 12V voltage regulator for an old tractor last week. First the guy had no clue what a Delco voltage reguraltor was for. Then he insisted on knowing what it fit and could not find anything for tractors.
    I had another issue on testing a Delco one wire alt. off of my SA-200. He could not find anything in the testing machine program to tell him what adapters to use and how to hook it to the test stand.

Dan D.
    Manipulator Of Metal

Post Thanks / Like

Ever since I started using the local jobber warehouse for my parts I've been happy as a clam. I don't have to play the "lifetime warranty" game with junk parts. Now I only use AZ and Oreilly for oil and electrical connectors.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still use to swinging by the parts house and getting what I need for a repair or ordering it and picking it up a day or so later. I was getting ready to change oil and filter in one of our cars the other day. The wife was shopping online and asked for specifics of what I was gonna need. Filter was same price online as in the store but the 5 quart plus jug of oil was $12 cheaper than at the parts store. That was shipping and everything, $12. I don't know how you compete with that.

Post Thanks / Like

The local napa here carries c25, argon, etc. Though more expensive, they're closer than my lws. I paid like $280 for a 150cuft c25. I can swap it out for another for like $80 (yea, a lot more than lws) or return it empty and get $200 refund. They're not bad for stuff like grease gun fittings etc when I can't find mine. Little tools and parts.

Coincidentally, I was thinking the other day about years ago when I went in and needed a radiator, and they actually HAD ONE IN STOCK! I do get most of my stuff online now, awaiting some axles from RA as I type...

Post Thanks / Like

So, I'm doing a top end on a BIG mower with an engine that wants to be a Harley Davidson when it grows up. I need a valve spring compressor, go to Advance Auto (first mistake) cause I know they have them. I find one in their misc engine tools section, not the one I'm familiar with and I just kind of doubted it's weirdness. Anyway so I ask the guy at the counter if they had any other styles, they usually have for rent the expensive specialized tools you rarely need.
    ACTUAL QUOTE:
    Parts guy, "Uh, I really don't know a lot about cars."
    Dumbfounded. Completely silent, I actually couldn't say anything. I wish I was recording it.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Post Thanks / Like

I like rock auto also, If I'm not in a hurry. Otherwise I go to Napa because they have what I need or can get it by first thing next morning.
    and they know exactly what you need.... most of the guys working at my local napa are old gearheads. (but yeah, you DO pay a little bit more)

rock auto kinda sux with a core charge though...
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

speaking of napa,

any Napa I ever usually go into the same guys have been working there forever..... I didn't think working behind the counter paid very much but I talked to a girl that works in corporate that said employees get a pretty good rate and have a very good benefit package...

who knew..
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazon Prime

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Canoecruiser View Post
    May be the only guy cheap enough to repair light bulbs.
    I do stuff like that all the time. It's not so much being cheap, it's because I can. It's a great feeling to be able to fix something without depending on anyone else, and not having to open your wallet.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I go thru this at least twice a day, these days i figure out my own part numbers to skip the looking up process . I have found that this is the only way i can keep my sanity when buying parts from less than knowledgeable people behind the counter.
    Also most parts stores have a (special) person to handle all the commercial accounts , usually they know whats going on .

Post Thanks / Like

I really miss my buddy John's parts place..
    He had a Car Quest store but it was kinda small.
    Advanced bought out Car Quest and wanted him to expand or move to a bigger store.

He said no then retired.

Sucks.

He could find me ANYTHING I ever wanted with no problems at all.
    I had a account with him...
    Garage price less 30%....
    Sign the slip and get a bill at the end of each month.

Sure was nice while it lasted...

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a parts store in my town that the guy at the owner and a longtime wrench turner gearhead. I don't bicker on price with him, he gets parts in quick and so far they've all been the right ones.... and more than a few times he's told me I don't need such and such but can repair the part itself, xxx can be reused/rebuilt/etc/etc/etc..

And he makes hydraulic lines, which is worth more to me than the parts side of it sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

They closed the machine shop in our local NAPA a few years back it was a sad day for the local NAPA.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Rock auto is my goto to get the part numbers and you would be surprised that Amazon has lots of those parts cheaper, not all the time, but most are also free shipping, and dont forget your 5% discount all the time from rock auto, just google for the coupon code..

Post Thanks / Like

NAPA, Advanced Auto, O'Reilly ... in that order.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Walters View Post
    NAPA, Advanced Auto, O'Reilly ... in that order.
    And stay out of the zone....unless it's just oil/antifreeze

Post Thanks / Like

My current theory which has worked well
    Over the last several years when working who knows where is to immediately go in a Napa or Car Quest and ask if they make 4 wire hydraulic hose. If they do, there is likely someone there that has dealt with enough things over the years to know how to act right.

Lincoln SA-250
    Lincoln SW 200
    Miller Thunderbolt
    SA-250 TMD
    Squarewave 200
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1951 G.E. welder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanD78 View Post
    If it's not in thier computer they are helpless. I needed a 12V voltage regulator for an old tractor last week. First the guy had no clue what a Delco voltage reguraltor was for. Then he insisted on knowing what it fit and could not find anything for tractors.
    I had another issue on testing a Delco one wire alt. off of my SA-200. He could not find anything in the testing machine program to tell him what adapters to use and how to hook it to the test stand.

Dan D.
    You couldnt tell him to look a reg up for a 68 chevy truck? and since 1 wire alts werent oe on anything,its no wonder he couldnt test it. Try to be a better customer in the future

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michael ray View Post
    Most parts people at the parts stores are not even qualified to ask "would you like cheese with that?"
    i had girl at our small napa store wudn sell me a generic chevy truck motor mount because i cudn tell her if it had air conditioning or not, sed she wasnt goin to order it for me if i didnt know what i wanted,, i did engine changes for jeeps, usually chevy and worked out a routine with the chebby truck mount bcause it used one bolt base, i wud drive to next town over to not do business because nappa backed her and her lies about my attitude,, buck, she was pretty but blond and dumb as a bucket of rocks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
    You couldnt tell him to look a reg up for a 68 chevy truck? and since 1 wire alts werent oe on anything,its no wonder he couldnt test it. Try to be a better customer in the future

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
    delco deveoloped the one wire alt for marine trade,, if u use/have a built in regulator delco and weant one wire, it the same part number as the regular one but with SE prefix to the part number, since the patent is out now just bout everybody sells the regulators, on Ebay they are around about 8.50 to 9.50 each,, just dont plug anything to the tabs, i usually just cut them off so some helpfull person doesnt try to plug some stray wire on it trying to help me out,, buck

Post Thanks / Like

O reily and Napa for me. But it still comes down to if the employee with a brain is working. Napa is nice since they have a distribution warehouse in town. Our advance auto and a bumper to bumper just recently closed.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist