Thread: SPPG (Self-Propelled Portable Generator)

Post Thanks / Like

SPPG (Self-Propelled Portable Generator)

Over the winter a friend of mine who does scrapping (and a great source for project materials, reclaimed tools and other assorted items) mentioned he was looking for an old riding mower to mount his portable generator on he uses when needing power off the grid to run his saws and grinders.

I told him he was welcome to an old Deutz-Allis taking up room in my shop for the last 16+ years after its deck had lost its fight with rust but would likely need a little work to get it running again. I recovered the unit some 20+ years ago from a field after it apparently fell off the truck/trailer it was being hauled on resulting in it suffering a broken front axle spindle and some bent up sheet metal. I made the necessary repairs and used it for several years before the deck gave out a couple years after moving to Texas.

Fast forward and after digging it out of its hiding place a couple months ago I stuck a battery in it, poured a little gas in the plug hole and she fired right off. Pulled the carb and gave it the usual treatment, a new fuel filter, some new fuel line and that's all it needed. He took it home and we've talked about mounting the generator ever since and we finally got to it the other day.

Turned out to be a pretty simple project with the main structure a simple piece of 6" channel and a couple pieces of bed frame formed cross channels tacked in place for the genny frame to rest in while mounted. (2) 1/4-20 bolts thru the square frame tube and channel support keep the unit securely in place yet easy to remove if/when needed. The 6" wound up being two pieces of different weight channel welded together to yield the 30" piece needed to bolt to the implement mount brackets to support the generator and was the major welding involved and nothing spectacular. The 6" was drilled and tapped for bolting with (4) 3/8-16 hex heads and pipe spacers to fill the gap of the "U" shaped implement mounts of the mower chassis.

Name:  20170614_164508.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  213.8 KBName:  20170614_162829.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  124.8 KBName:  20170614_162958.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  118.4 KBName:  20170614_163102.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  53.7 KBName:  20170614_163053.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  49.8 KB

Not a big deal but thought I'd share and thanks for looking.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SPPG (Self-Propelled Portable Generator)

Should work perfect for what he's doing. Set of torches off the back maybe ..
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Now you need a platform on the back for the cooler and beer to offset the weight of generator (safety first)

Post Thanks / Like

I like the way you think Bls...
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

We talked about adding weight to the rear to help offset the genny seeing as it steers a little harder now. A set of tanks (or big cooler ) could do the trick.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

A wonderful invention! I worry though that there might not be enough buyers for your new $10,000. innovation to turn it into the next model T. Nonetheless, very cool.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

My father in law did not understand the concept of checking the oil. Changing oil was utterly a mystery to him. He had a 20 acre lawn. He bought the cheapest tractor he could find, invariably built by MTD. Identical tractors were marketed for a number of years as Sears Craftsman, MTD, AMF, and many others. None were quality machines. He'd have a few at any given time. Some had seized engines, one was in use.

I took a seized one, and rebuilt the engine. It was badged AMF. AMF you may recognize as the brief owner of Harley Davidson, manufacturer of bowling equipment, The SkiDaddler snowmobile, the Harley Davidson snowmobile, and they once marketed lawn equipment.

My refreshed engine was functional on some level, except that by the time I got to it the recoil was gone. In its place was a rope ring. I would wrap a rope around this thing, and pull. On days it started first pull, all was fine. Other days it got old.

This mower was short! It was so short that turning left too sharply the left tire tread would catch the mower deck, causing the drive belt to fly off the pulleys. Each time this happened, I had to crawl on the ground, and put the belt on. This was a black greasy mess!
    Between fixing, and washing, I said it took me three hours to have my wife mow the lawn.

One day she was up against a tree when it came off. After fixing the belt the fifth time, I wrapped the rope around the pulley, and yanked. It started, but with a tree in the way, I hadn't pulled far enough to free the rope from the engine. It immediately started to sound like a machine gun with the handle beating on the machine. Soon it bent the governor linkage This engine was running at least double whatever red line is! I ran! It ripped off the gas line, and quit.

Next morning, I went out and bought a John Deere. That was 29 years ago. I haven't driven the John Deere yet except to put it away.

Willie
    Last edited by Willie B; 06-17-2017 at 09:21 PM.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I would put a tool Box in the back for carrying along extension cords, trouble lights and other tools he may need..
    Excellent idea! I'll run it by him and see what he can come up with for a tool "box". Perhaps an open basket that won't hold water would be best.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember AMF bowling lanes and such and remember iirc AMF is who sold HD to the Japanese? Thank GOD for that sale it was the best thing that happened to HD other than the family buying the brand back to bring it back to USA I too am a John Deere believer and have about 5 Deere's in my yard awaiting restoration.

In case you wonder why I said this ^ Every one knows HD had lots of oil leaks and other mechanical issues before the Japanese acquisition.

This is a nice project close to my heart. I have been wanting to take a dead genset welder and adapt it to one of my JD Garden tractors for purposes of Self Propelled welding and generating power via PTO switch
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-18-2017 at 01:11 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about these silly ideas for counterweight. Why not just tie a couple helium balloons up front?

Also, on the "hard to steer" problem you're having. Try putting more air in the front tires. You want them to look more like pancakes turned on edge than big fat marshmallows. Try 80 or 100 psi for starters.

Lastly, consider 4WD for this project now that you have extra weight for better traction up there. I've been thinking that if a person had two cordless drills, they could hook one to each front wheel and have a very similar machine to the biggest wheel loaders out there. You'd just need one drill set to "FWD" and one to "REV", and maybe a string / baling wire arrangement which is tied to your go pedal to keep it all synchronized and driving smoothly.

I hope these ideas help move your project from 80% complete to 100% done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I remember AMF bowling lanes and such and remember iirc AMF is who sold HD to the Japanese? Thank GOD for that sale it was the best thing that happened to HD other than the family buying the brand back to bring it back to USA I too am a John Deere believer and have about 5 Deere's in my yard awaiting restoration.

In case you wonder why I said this ^ Every one knows HD had lots of oil leaks and other mechanical issues before the Japanese acquisition.

This is a nice project close to my heart. I have been wanting to take a dead genset welder and adapt it to one of my JD Garden tractors for purposes of Self Propelled welding and generating power via PTO switch
    Not that we have many farmers anymore, Those we do, and plenty of homeowners have PTO generators. Some are three point hitch units, others are trailers. The trailer version need some device to prevent overturning. We once had one develop a loose connection in the field excitation. The intermittent torque caused it to break loose from the drawbar. It thrashed itself to death at the end of the PTO shaft.
    A farmer has between 65, and 350 amps anywhere on the property.

Willie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    That very thought has crossed my mind more than once. He asked me about taking the extended pulley off the crank that drove the mower deck but I said it's not in the way and who knows, may want to set it up to drive something someday.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post
    I don't know about these silly ideas for counterweight. Why not just tie a couple helium balloons up front?

Also, on the "hard to steer" problem you're having. Try putting more air in the front tires. You want them to look more like pancakes turned on edge than big fat marshmallows. Try 80 or 100 psi for starters.

Lastly, consider 4WD for this project now that you have extra weight for better traction up there. I've been thinking that if a person had two cordless drills, they could hook one to each front wheel and have a very similar machine to the biggest wheel loaders out there. You'd just need one drill set to "FWD" and one to "REV", and maybe a string / baling wire arrangement which is tied to your go pedal to keep it all synchronized and driving smoothly.

I hope these ideas help move your project from 80% complete to 100% done.

I did considered turning the exhaust on both units down toward the ground for some upward thrust tbone. I figured the 20+ year old air in those tires would have morphed into helium by now.

I do have a kids 24VDC electric car plastic tire drive set up that I could swap out the front tires with and just mount the "throttle" pedal on the the running board opposite the clutch/brake. I'll get started on the engineering and keep you posted.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 06-18-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been pondering the feasibility of a self propelled welder myself. I think it could be a handy thing on a farm. Imagine having a sa200 on 4 wheels with the faceplate being the dashboard. Not sure yet how to drive it. Could probably use a v belt off the crank to a shaft running under the welder into a garden tractor transaxle. Or maybe an electric setup from a golf cart. It could pull its own trailer full of tools and or torch cart. In reality the bigger Aux generator output of a bobcat would probably be more desirable. So many ways to go
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Post Thanks / Like

My plan is to take the the power to drive the gen set from the Electric PTO clutch on the front of my garden tractors. Onan P218G engines in the John Deere 317 and 316 tractors. Mount the gen set on the front of the tractor like a front snow plow blade so it is removable and easily adaptable to any of the 3 john deere tractors I have. All belt driven from electric pto clutch pulley to the pulley on the gen set. Should work fairly easy. As long at I can start the tractor and the pto system functions that is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    My father in law did not understand the concept of checking the oil.

Between fixing, and washing, I said it took me three hours to have my wife mow the lawn.

Next morning, I went out and bought a John Deere. That was 29 years ago. I haven't driven the John Deere yet except to put it away.

Willie
    OMG!! I'm dying!!🤣🤣

Post Thanks / Like

Great thing Duane.

It reminds me of the Texas mind set

There's gotta be a more grandiose way of doing things Run of the mill, pedestrian, just ain't gonna do.

When I saw Deutz Allis, I was expecting Name:  deutz-fahr-agrotron-150-7.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  125.8 KB
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, I'd buy a 10kw generator head from harbor freight and set it up to run off the deck PTO.
    You didn't build that.

'85 Miller AEAD-200LE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by propanehotrod View Post
    I have been pondering the feasibility of a self propelled welder myself. I think it could be a handy thing on a farm. Imagine having a sa200 on 4 wheels with the faceplate being the dashboard. Not sure yet how to drive it. Could probably use a v belt off the crank to a shaft running under the welder into a garden tractor transaxle. Or maybe an electric setup from a golf cart. It could pull its own trailer full of tools and or torch cart. In reality the bigger Aux generator output of a bobcat would probably be more desirable. So many ways to go
    Why not just get a PPW trail welder kit (basically a modified Delco alternator with an adjustable regulator) and mount that to an old riding mower in place of the deck?
    You didn't build that.

'85 Miller AEAD-200LE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by propanehotrod View Post
    You've got 24V DC. Individual wheel motors with large variable resisters for speed control like used for the old crane controls and you are good to go!