+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another HF Ring Roller Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Another HF Ring Roller Mod

So I know there are several on the interwebs who have modified the Harbor Freight ring roller. Well I got sucked into the fray. I have been looking at these mods and there are many vids on youtube in regards to modding these things. Many hacks but also some good ideas. I bought this because I need to make a curved top piece for a gate I am building and I don’t have time to make one from scratch. I modified the ˝” size stock roller dies to be able to put a 1” x 2” tube in there and also broached all the drive dies to match the key in the swag off road shaft. I also used the swag off road drive axle, however I am going to hack that up too. I also did the pump jack mod myself and did not buy anybody’s kit as it is very simple to do. I think the main difference is powering my set up is that it will be powered by a hydraulic motor and will reside on the other side of my JD2 tubing bender. It will be controlled by another log splitter valve. In the essence of time I made the feed between the two valves to utilize quick disconnects. I am about 90 percent done. Here are two vids so far for what I have. The control valve shown in the second vid is no good, I replaced it with another prince valve that will handle the requirements. More pics and vids to follow. See two vids.

www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another HF Ring Roller Mod

A few pics. I had more. Somehow some got deleted. They are on my IG page though.
    Pic 1- hydraulic motor I am using
    Pic 2 - Harbor Freght dies. The driven one is machined in this pic. Finishing up on the other ones.
    Pic 3 - Sprockets and hubs I will be using.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table

Post Thanks / Like

sub'd
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a helpful hint.

You can subscribe to a post without actually posting. Go to the top of the thread, on the right side, above the #1. There's a drop down menu labeled thread tools. The last option allows you to subscribe to the thread you're viewing.
    Benson's Mobile Welding - Dayton, OH metro area - AWS Certified Welding Inspector

Post Thanks / Like

I always have to ask why?

I see threads all over the internet of people taking harbor freight rollers and extending the top to fit a hydraulic Jack in place of the leadscrew, extending the ends to space the idle rollers farther apart, adding power feed, and buying third party rollers for it.

Why even bother with the harbor freight rollers in the first place? A drop of 1/4" plate and some cold rolled bar stock would be a way less expensive starting point if you plan on replacing literally every component on it.

That said, the hydraulic feed looks interesting!
    You didn't build that.

'85 Miller AEAD-200LE

Post Thanks / Like

I see my responses got hammered. I do agree but in the time frame I had I just did not have the time. I will eventually made a heavy duty one with the rollers outside the frame and utilize the hydraulic motor though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TJS; 03-09-2018 at 04:43 PM.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table

Post Thanks / Like

That's badass

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    I see my responses got hammered. I do agree but in the time frame I had I just did not have the time. I will eventually made a heavy duty one with the rollers outside the frame and utilize the hydraulic motor though.
    I admire folks who reverse engineer things to “make it their own”. Nice Job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post

Just so you are aware. That flat tube can be rolled on plain flat dies, or even the dies you had before you modified them. The bigger the dies the easier it will roll. When planning a roller with no outside frame be prepared for some sticker shock. You will need some heavy duty high strength steel shafts, 2" is a good starting point. Some big *** bearings, some big *** reducing gears, a much bigger motor or motive power, 10 horse should be sufficient. Also going to need some very heavy plate, 1 1/2"+ plus all the associated cutting and machine work. It ends up being very expensive to roll tube bigger than about 2x2"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Just so you are aware. That flat tube can be rolled on plain flat dies, or even the dies you had before you modified them. The bigger the dies the easier it will roll. When planning a roller with no outside frame be prepared for some sticker shock. You will need some heavy duty high strength steel shafts, 2" is a good starting point. Some big *** bearings, some big *** reducing gears, a much bigger motor or motive power, 10 horse should be sufficient. Also going to need some very heavy plate, 1 1/2"+ plus all the associated cutting and machine work. It ends up being very expensive to roll tube bigger than about 2x2"

Yes Walker I am aware of the endeavor, that is why I did this first.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist