Thread: HTP vs ESAB Mig

Post Thanks / Like

HTP vs ESAB Mig

Has anybody had experience with HTP welders? I just can't find a ton of information out there.

I'm torn between an ESAB 252i or HTP 2400. Use will mostly be for auto fab work, but also want the ability to do body work on a Samurai (basically tin can metal). I have an old Hobart AC stick buzzbox, so not too worried about the "all in one", but have heard good things about the ESABs. I'm mostly looking for a solid MIG.

I know lots of folks are going to push Miller or Lincoln. I just don't feel the cost to value is offered for what I'm looking for at this time. Note: I didn't ask about harbor freight. As far as I can tell: the ones I'm asking about are both well regarded (where I can find info about HTP). The ESAB is generally well regarded.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HTP vs ESAB Mig

You may run into issues trying to dial in thin wires like .023 - .025 on the ESAB. BrandX had issues with his when he used it with smaller wire.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an HTP 2400, very happy with it.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't speak for the HTP, but have bought some stuff in the past and good company to deal with. The 252i is a great all around machine, I never had any problems with .024 in it but then again I think I only used it once for that putting in some floor pans on a side job. I mostly run .035 in mine, and use it for a lot for tacking stuff together and light work 3/16 - 1/8th. I don't think you would be unhappy with either one.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BusinessHippieRH View Post
    Has anybody had experience with HTP welders? I just can't find a ton of information out there.

I'm torn between an ESAB 252i or HTP 2400. Use will mostly be for auto fab work, but also want the ability to do body work on a Samurai (basically tin can metal). I have an old Hobart AC stick buzzbox, so not too worried about the "all in one", but have heard good things about the ESABs. I'm mostly looking for a solid MIG.

I know lots of folks are going to push Miller or Lincoln. I just don't feel the cost to value is offered for what I'm looking for at this time. Note: I didn't ask about harbor freight. As far as I can tell: the ones I'm asking about are both well regarded (where I can find info about HTP). The ESAB is generally well regarded.

I believe member Bonzoo has one and likes it.

I am not advocating for Chuckie 2009 - but he did review the HTP 2400 a while back on you tube and continuous welded for a LONG TIME with it as a torture test,
    The HTP just kept ticking.

Now saving money for a new mig and it is definitely on the list of top contenders,

I believe that USA welds has a 90 day try it and if you don't like it send it back policy to :

(We are so sure you will like our MIG 2400 we will let you take it for a 90-day test weld. That’s’ right, buy a MIG 2400, and try it in your shop on your own projects for 90 days. If you aren’t satisfied, don’t like the way the machine welds, lose your job, or just don’t like the color, we will take it back! A 90-day money back guarantee, it’s that simple. And we back the machine with a full 3-year warranty)

The question about body panel sheetmetal welding is a great 1.

that is one of the light duty tasks I will be doing a fair amount of to- and thought the spot weld timer would also be real handy,
    be interested in how it welds thin material at low amps.

Here is hoping for some more detailed owner thoughts on the HTP 2400
    1962 Idealarc Tig 300 300
    1974 Idealarc Tig 300 300 ( till owner needs it back)
    1988 Power Mig 150 (.112 f cap mod)
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/arc/tig
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

Post Thanks / Like

Get a 2400 if you need real HP. Like the Millermatic 200 you can run a bead on 3/8" until you fall asleep without any problem. These are true industrial rigs.
    Esab is getting to be like Milwaukee tool. They'll probably add a helmet warmer button before long.One more thing to crap and and cost a fortune to fix.
    Hobart Ironmans are real good too , if you can find a steal on one.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee,

Since you're mentioning auto body and an HTP MIG unit, I'd think the HTP ProPulse200 would be the ideal pic.

That unit, with its pulse, double-pulse, and digital interface seems truly outstanding. And it seems to spray arc aluminum well with a normal MIG whip too, rather than calling for a spoolgun.

Post Thanks / Like

i've had the 252i and it was a workhorse that really helped me build my biz. lots and lots of dual shield ran through it, in the pouring rain, etc. i abused it. ont he other hand it also worked perfect for a job i had tiging stainless counter tops in an operating room. but it didnt survive the shop fire i had a year ago. rather than replace with another i've steped up to mostly miller machines. dynasty, xmt, xr30 push/pull, ln25, 252, trailblazer, syncrowave..... but it started with that 252i. only complaint would be the beyond retarded 'fusion' gun. for any body making a living their design is ****, and ii was replaced it with another tweco i had on the shelf.

i currently own the htp propulse200. so far i cant seem to get it dialed in on stainless but it is outstanding with aluminum .120" and under. anything thicker hits the duty cycle quickly, and to my surprise, when you hit the duty cycle, the machine doesn't just stop welding. it starts to dial back your settings to a lower setting, on its own while your hoods down. i would much rather the thing just quit. used as intended within its operating limits its great.

no experiance with the htp2400, but i would expect it to everything it is claimed to be. and the htp customer support is top notch.

is this case of 252i v htp2400. i would go with the 252i only reason being its 3in1 and portability.
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal