+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder transport

Post Thanks / Like

Cylinder transport

Ive wanted to make a transport for a couple years. The post are from exercise equipment and the bottom piece is from a 9-1/2" C purlin. I freehanded most cuts with a HYPERTHERM. TIG welds were with an AHP but was taking too long so some welds are with an LN22 and INVERTEC.

Some of the tubing came from American equipment/steel and some was Chinese equipment/steel. I swear theres a difference in the way the two metals weld.

Any comments, critique or suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cylinder transport

That looks like a reasonable solution to that problem to me. Now you'll me able to safely haul that oxy/acetylene out into the Black Rock desert and start filling things up and making them go boom.

3. Likes Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, simple and effective. Do have it pinned or something to prevent the side rail from popping out of the stake pockets?
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks HT2-, Ive used a cement block or a piece of I beam to prevent tanks from rolling around in the past. As far as the OA going boom, I built a rocket stove a few months back. I couldnt get it to burn rite. I used compressed air and it helped. So I tried Oxy and it burned hotter. Using acetalyne, the rocket stove went boom.

OMB, thanks. I dont have it pinned but was thinking about it. Thanks for the suggestion and I do have an idea to lock it down.

Post Thanks / Like

Insane,

How's this for a plan.... I want to get one of those 5-6 foot diameter helium balloons like you see occasionally flying over car dealerships with a string of pennants on the tether line to them. Instead of pennants though my plan is to have a string of smaller (around 1 foot in diameter) balloons full of acetylene hanging below it. I'm thinking a string of around 20 of them spaced about 3 to 5 feet apart would be good starting place. Then tie it off to the top of a respectable sized bonfire pile. I figure on having the first balloon full of acetylene hanging about 20' (or so) above the top of the fire pile. I'm pretty sure that once the flames from the bonfire hit the first balloon it'll just daisy chain right on up the string making a series of pretty good pops real quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    I figure on having the first balloon full of acetylene hanging about 20' (or so) above the top of the fire pile. I'm pretty sure that once the flames from the bonfire hit the first balloon it'll just daisy chain right on up the string making a series of pretty good pops real quickly.
    To do it right, use an oxy-acet mix, not just straight acetylene. Set the torch to get a nice blue flame, then rub the end of the tip against a block of wood to put out the flame and then fill the balloons. MUCH louder BOOM when done this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    To do it right, use an oxy-acet mix, not just straight acetylene. Set the torch to get a nice blue flame, then rub the end of the tip against a block of wood to put out the flame and then fill the balloons. MUCH louder BOOM when done this way.
    Bistineau,

I'm well aware that would greatly increase it's potential entertainment value. The trouble with that though is that a 1' diameter volume sphere of O2/C2H2 would seriously hurt you if it went off in your hands while you were filling the balloon and tying it off. All it would take is one small static electricity spark and all the fun would go right out of that project.

But if you dialed it back some I'd probably be willing to give it a go. Instead of a 1' diameter balloon I'd go with the smaller sized balloons like we use to use for water balloon fights and only fill them to around a 3 to 4 inch diameter. While if something that size went off while you were handling it; while it'd be highly unpleasant, if you had some basic PPE on (like safety glasses, face shield and leather welding jacket) it probably wouldn't do you any permanent damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Ive wanted to make a transport for a couple years. The post are from exercise equipment and the bottom piece is from a 9-1/2" C purlin. I freehanded most cuts with a HYPERTHERM. TIG welds were with an AHP but was taking too long so some welds are with an LN22 and INVERTEC.

Some of the tubing came from American equipment/steel and some was Chinese equipment/steel. I swear theres a difference in the way the two metals weld.

Any comments, critique or suggestions?
    not too good....if you think the top clamp will hold those tanks if you get into an accident you will be wrong, the momentum of those tanks either front or back from an impact will bend those clamp pieces and you will have flying tanks, I would add wrap around chains to make sure those tanks wont go anywhere, as those top pieces will flex and let the tanks pop out, or use the same type bolt setup on both ends, other wise it looks ok...IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget about static electricity. No sense going boom playing around.

Post Thanks / Like

Hobby, I dont think the tubing would twist but you got me thinking. The bolt doesnt have shear strength and could snap with lateral force. I was using a chain during fit up but didnt like the way it cinched. Using two bolts the way you suggested would help but Im thinking using a rod that could handle the lateral stress. I have two weight lifting bench rods that would work or I may have to think up something.

Thanks for the constuctive suggestion.

M J D, the static was mentioned and where I live its an everyday thing. Those guys are crazy, Im not going to inflate balloons with OA and I was thinking about it but not now.

Post Thanks / Like

Hobby, I dont think the tubing would twist but you got me thinking. The bolt doesnt have shear strength and could snap with lateral force. I was using a chain during fit up but didnt like the way it cinched. Using two bolts the way you suggested would help but Im thinking using a rod that could handle the lateral stress. I have two weight lifting bench rods that would work or I may have to think up something.

M J D, the static was mentioned and where I live its an everyday thing. Those guys are crazy, Im not going to inflate balloons with OA and I was thinking about it but not now.
    or add a nice BIG ratchet strap to the top around both tanks and the upright bracket..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    or add a nice BIG ratchet strap to the top around both tanks and the upright bracket..
    I have a ratchet tie down I could use like you said but, I'm thinking the chain is best. I'm thinking a boomer/binder would cinch the chain but I would have to invent or fab one small enough for my transport. I have an idea to use a vice grip modified and welded to the transport and chain to cinch. The vice grip boomer/binder would need to be safety wired during use. Thanks for the advice, it helps me to stay busy and gets my mind working.

Post Thanks / Like

Years back I had the same tank setup in a Ford pickup and put a "well" in the floor to get the Oxygen cylinder down to the same level as the acetylene cylinder. Made it easier to turn them on and off and remove regulators for transit. I think it was 10 inch pipe with a flange to weld/bolt to the bed floor with a big chunk of flat bar at the bottom to make sure water and crap didn't collect and freeze up in the hole.

Post Thanks / Like

nice. ive been wanting to make a transport rack for my tanks for a while now, but nothing like what you have done. my idea is just a sled that they would lay flat on. it would in no way contain them in the case of an accident, as was mentioned here, but im more concerned with them banging around in the truck bed during transit, snapping off a valve or just denting the crap out of my bed (yes, i keep the caps on). i should note that i dont transport them for jobs, the only time they are taking a trip in the truck is to and from the fill station.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a ratchet tie down I could use like you said but, I'm thinking the chain is best. I'm thinking a boomer/binder would cinch the chain but I would have to invent or fab one small enough for my transport. I have an idea to use a vice grip modified and welded to the transport and chain to cinch. The vice grip boomer/binder would need to be safety wired during use. Thanks for the advice, it helps me to stay busy and gets my mind working.
    also, what holds the whole rack in the truck? just the 2 stake bed pockets, if so what keeps the rack from bouncing up and out of the pockets if you hit a bump?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm well aware that would greatly increase it's potential entertainment value. The trouble with that though is that a 1' diameter volume sphere of O2/C2H2 would seriously hurt you if it went off in your hands while you were filling the balloon and tying it off. All it would take is one small static electricity spark and all the fun would go right out of that project.
    Before I started working at the last place, one of the workers(owners son) decided it would be a good idea to fill up balloons for a 4th of July party. He went to the shop, filled them up and had them stuffed them into a garbage bag. He drove an 80's hatchback(Mekur xr4ti) and got the bag full of balloons into the hatch area. While closing the hatch, something must have caught a static spark and lit the bag off. It was reported that he got blown halfway across the parking lot, all the windows in the car blown out and the interior burnt. He did make it back to the party for some more drinks, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Hobbytime; 04-04-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wise move on filling that up at a remove like he did. I thought it was a little dicey being as close to it as he was to light a sparky fuse. I prefer an electronic ignition from further away. Some light gauge wire with a piezoelectric igniter (like off a gas BBQ grill) works. Also one of those igniter wires like used in the Estes model rocket engines and a battery to touch the wire ends to the terminals of works well.

Post Thanks / Like

Wise move on filling that up at a remove like he did. I thought it was a little dicey being as close to it as he was to light a sparky fuse. I prefer an electronic ignition from further away. Some light gauge wire with a piezoelectric igniter (like off a gas BBQ grill) works. Also one of those igniter wires like used in the Estes model rocket engines and a battery to touch the wire ends to the terminals of works well.
    I use the rocket fuses with a battery and a few hundred feet of telephone cable( the stuff that goes pole to pole) its tough as nails...I like to keep all my fingers...

Post Thanks / Like

Concerning static electricity....you need to pay close attention to see if any of it is lurking about where you're filling things. Just like they warn you at the gas pumps you need to touch something grounded to make sure you're not carrying a charge of it. Same for what your filling. Also wetting things down first helps mitigate against it. So partially filling a balloon with water and dumping it back out is a good idea.

Another good idea is to take what ever type/brand of plastic sack or balloon you're thinking of using into a completely darkened room and open it up slowly and watch for static discharge sparks. I remember doing that to one of those heavy duty contractors 55 gallon drum liners once and seeing quite the little light show of static discharges.

Post Thanks / Like

12V71, I was thinking if I had a flat bed, I would drop in the tanks like you said. The FORDS I had were heavy duty and doing what you said would work on a fleetside bed. My DODGE is like a tin can and cutting a hole in it would make it weaker. I do like your idea.

deth502, I started with a cement block and then a piece of I beam. This set up has been in my mind for two years. It took two days or two half days to get it where it is. I dont really need them standing I just wanted them to stand. Im a hobby weldor and would probly use a plasma torch if I need to cut away from my garage. Make yours to lay flat if it works for you. I suggest make it for two cylinders.

Hobbytime, yes only two stakes at this time. OMB suggested pinning it. Im thinking use the vertical post to nest a receiver like setup to hold down in the bed. I can chain it for temporary. Im low on Argon and could use a refill of Acety and Oxy. Thats why I finally got around to starting this.

Im not planning on exploding any garbage bags or cans anytime soon. I do plan to get some calcium carbide tho. It sells for $30 for two pounds at a surplus place.

I found this balanced chemical formula for it: CaC2 + 2 H2O → C2H2 + Ca(OH)2

Post Thanks / Like

24. Likes Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

heres a some what cheap supply of calcium carbide..
    http://www.surpluswarrior.com/calcium-carbide/

Post Thanks / Like

ok this is something to make, freaking outrageous..replace the balls with pumpkins...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist