+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thermal Dynamics Pak Master 100XL PLUS.......help

Post Thanks / Like

Thermal Dynamics Pak Master 100XL PLUS.......help

Guys,

Does anyone have this machine that could tell me what this part # is so I can see if I can locate one? See attached picts to show what's missing.....first is Duane's 100XL, second is mine 100XL plus with missing part.......HF points?

I already downloaded the TD service manual, but only shows schematic for total electrics, not specific CD PCB 19X1664 schematics.Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  138.0 KBName:  board - Copy.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  145.8 KB

Any help really appreciated! Thanks for your time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thermal Dynamics Pak Master 100XL PLUS.......help

would it be possible to post up the schematic? this would give us more of a clue as to what it is... just look for anything connected to the big cap. C1(4000V .22uf)

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't pull apart the files....here's total schematic. Thanks

http://www.esabna.com/eu/literature/...0xl%20plus.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, that schematic doesn't cover the details on the CD board but it is the board the generates the power to drive the T3 transformer for cutting with the two black wires(E1 & E2 spade terminals) and it looks like the missing component is inline with e2... like some protection component would be.... but here again I'm just guessing with limited knowledge on how this works

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, did a little searching to find more info on the CD board.... and came across this page in the service manual and noticed they mention 'spark gap' Looks like Duane's hunch was right, the points are there probably to make sure sufficient voltage is reached before going to the torch... I don't know.. just guessing again

Took a while to finally figure out what the 'SG1'marking was on that board...

Name:  pak100xl_sg1.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  55.9 KB

oh, here is the service manual:http://www.esabna.com/eu/literature/...lus%20(ce).pdf
    Last edited by ronsii; 04-08-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added link to service manual

Post Thanks / Like

Ronsii, thank you so much for doing that....I appreciate it! Now at least I can start to look for that part and see if one exists w/o getting a full board? Well see.

Thanks, Adam
    Last edited by NYsignman; 04-08-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYsignman View Post
    Ronsii, thank you so much for doing that....I appreciate it! Now at least I can start to look for that part and see if one exists w/o getting a full board? Well see.

Thanks, Adam
    couldnt you remove the components and then contact a supply such as this one( just a random google search) https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...szJ9JfNRZu8Kl- and send them pictures or the actual components to get replacements?
    I have built many electronic boards for robot kits and most of the components are standard supply from these companies if you needed replacement parts..

Post Thanks / Like

Hobby, I did a quick reconnoiter of some places I order from like digikey,all, jameco and a few others of course but didn't come up with much unfortunately.... some sort of part number would probably make the part jump out from hiding and it probably is something you could get from the manufacturer fairly easily.... or maybe they're hard to come by and that's why the airgas tech grabbed it I mean misplaced it....

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I wondered why it wasn't returned to the guy I bought it from, but was told it was cooked or looked cooked anyway. It would be great to get a part # from an existing machine so I can search better.....we'll see. I looked throughout the other manual you sent and couldn't get a part # that I could see. Thanks again...and again! : )

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure someone with more experience than me will pop in sooner or later and shed some light on it

There are quite a few tests/verifications in the tech manual that would be a good idea to go through just to head off any other issues...

Post Thanks / Like

NYsignman,

I suggest you call Esab's tech support and ask to speak to Gene (sorry can't remember his last name) He's a long-time Thermal Dynamics tech support guy who's extremely knowledgeable. Hopefully he's not retired yet. He may be able to help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

AGW thank you. I had an Ebay board seller tell me that the HF points aren't available by themselves, but will reach out to Esab and confirm. If anyone has an old machine or board, please let me know. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Post Thanks / Like

AGW, Gene's last name is Wright, I just emailed with him. He told me the PC Board number is #9-7517, and that no loose parts were sold from a PC board, so I'd have to locate an NOS one or used. Maybe he'll think of something or someone to send me to....we'll see?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Wright......yeah that's it. thanks

9-7517 huh? I don't want to give you any false hope, but give me a couple days and I possibly may find one. I retired back in Dec and will have to see if they'll let me go thru the scrap boxes to see if there's one. Although I haven't worked on a 100xl in a few years but I'll look and see.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a quick search with that part num... and.... amazon...
    Name:  pakbord.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  49.0 KB

Holy #$%$#$%#$ they're proud of it!!!!

I did find other places listing it for 5-600$ but stilll!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I did the same search and came with those 2 also.....and also agree OUCH. I'm not in that big a rush and will try to see if someone has that HF box also.....it just screws back onto board, so I can't see why it wasn't sold separately, except for TD money reasons. It seems that the HF points were used on a few PakMaster series PCB boards, maybe someone has one?

ThanksName:  9-7517 back.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  63.7 KB
    Last edited by NYsignman; 04-10-2018 at 06:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you could make one out of some tig tungsten of the appropriate size. If someone knows the gap distance it probably wouldn't be too difficult. You would just have to make the plastic holder. You could probably use some HDPE for the holder.
    Last edited by tjb836; 04-11-2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: adding additional info
    Hobart Beta-Mig 250
    T-D Cutmaster 81
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller T-Bolt 225 AC
    Chicago Electric Mig 151
    Hobart RC-256 Haas-Kamp Conversion(sold)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYsignman View Post
    Guys,

Does anyone have this machine that could tell me what this part # is so I can see if I can locate one? See attached picts to show what's missing.....first is Duane's 100XL, second is mine 100XL plus with missing part.......HF points?

I already downloaded the TD service manual, but only shows schematic for total electrics, not specific CD PCB 19X1664 schematics.Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  138.0 KBName:  board - Copy.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  145.8 KB

Any help really appreciated! Thanks for your time.
    I can't even count the number of these I have thrown in the dumpster as trade ins. TD always pair $1 per amp as a trade in. I would bet that if you let a few distributors know that you need a used board. They would save a couple machines for you. too bad. i used to save all of this stuff and last year i decided to throw it all out. I do still have a few faceplate boards and a contactor or 2. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't find a CD board. Sorry

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, sorry for not getting back sooner. I did get it to fire up (bypassing this board) and wave light flashed green and went solid. I found someone with just he HF points box (actually metal and not plastic) and will be doing a test run shortly. I want to thank you all for the help and looks for me....I really appreciate it.

If anyone still has an old machine, parts, etc for this, I would be interested in them for the future.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I am needing help also with same machine. I took some pics of what mine is doing, but I don't see a tab to post Pic or video. As soon as you turn it on, the AC light just flashes and a few secs later the temp light comes on. Also all the documents in this thread are are expired no good anymore. Any body know of place where you can get parts for board. Or familiar with my issue?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist