Thread: Rebel 215 Mig Gun Upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

Rebel 215 Mig Gun Upgrade

Mig gun upgrade for Rebel 215. Anyone wanting to go from the 180 to the 250 Fusion the hole in front is not large enough for the backend collar on the gun, when you upgrade it will not seat properly into drive. You will need to die grind out the hole in the front of the welder then test fit to see if slot lines up for lock knob in the backend. If this is not done there will be a gap between plastic front guide and liner, also the gas port will be off. I am not sure why ESAB did not make this bigger for the 250 Fusion guns other then they did not think people would ever switch to the Tweco 250.

I have been running this setup a few weeks after I bought my first Rebel, the 180 gun that comes standard is only 10 feet long and I burned up the plastic around the neck and crimped the liner at the welder since it has no spring. The EM in the pics is new and will get the same upgrade, pretty good deal ESAB is running on those machines with $200 cash back, 3 year warranty can't be beat, still have to do all my other usual upgrades to it as my other two. Just thought I would pass this on, I also have the 250 SprayMaster Velocity on my 235, I run dual shield through that unit mostly and really like that setup.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  106.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rebel 215 Mig Gun Upgrade

Great information!

I'm looking at getting the EM215ic and was curious what other modifications you would make to it?

It just seems like an awesome buy at ~$850 right now

Post Thanks / Like

I added a Fusion 250 to my EMP 215 a while ago as well. I had the same issue with the Tweco back end not seating all the way back so instead of hacking up the bezel on the machine where the gun goes into it I just removed the bezel just in case I have any warranty issues. It was quicker and a lot easier for me too. The V250 gun with Medium Duty velocity consumables is the best thing I have done with the Rebel so far. I also just recently purchased a 15' Spraymaster V350 gun and it works fine on the Rebel too. The cable on that thing is significantly bigger than the one on the Fusion 250 gun with Spraymaster Med/Velosity neck.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 04-10-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I added a Fusion 250 to my EMP 215 a while ago as well. I had the same issue with the Tweco back end not seating all the way back so instead of hacking up the bezel on the machine where the gun goes into it I just removed the bezel just in case I have any warranty issues. It was quicker and a lot easier for me too. The V250 gun with Medium Duty velocity consumables is the best thing I have done with the Rebel so far. I also just recently purchased a 15' Spraymaster V350 gun and it works fine on the Rebel too. The cable on that thing is significantly bigger than the one on the Fusion 250 gun with Spraymaster Med/Velosity neck.
    I removed the bezel at first also then decided I needed to make a permanent change. I was not worried about this affecting the warranty, it was more to keep it as tight as possible in case it got hit, might add some support. Mine was still touching close to where the screw was on the right side so I actually removed a little metal, in most cases you could get by without doing this.

I started to convert all mine over to standard Tweco consumables, but as soon as I started using medium duty velocity consumables I was sold on the design. I also upgraded my Miller 350p from the Profax to a SprayMaster V350, I like it much better.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  132.5 KB
    Last edited by Jawslandshark; 04-10-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Spraymaster V350 to use on a Migmaster 250 I recently purchased for $75.00 I got the V350 for $85.00 shipped but I need to adapt it over to a Euro connection for use on the Migmaster 250. Still working out the bugs on the Migmaster 250 using a new Gunmaster 250 though. I think I will take both guns back ends apart and see if I can just swap the back ends from the Gunmaster over to the Spraymaster. I doubt it will be a direct swap but it's worth a look. Any thing I can do to save a buck.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

What are the "usual modifications" you do that you will also do with the 215?

Post Thanks / Like

I always put 15' 250 guns on them, longer ground cable and a magswitch. I use the knurled drive rolls on everything. The plastic wire guides are cut off are replaced with the long Tweco mig gun tips modified and screwed into the plastic just because I run a lot of wire through them and the plastic always grooves out.

A nice 8 gauge extension cord would probably be on your wish list as well.