Thread: Lincoln sa250 with 3 cyl Perkins wont start.

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln sa250 with 3 cyl Perkins wont start.

Asking for some help from people smarter than me. I bought a 3 cyl Perkins powered sa250 the other day and when I went and tested it it ran great and welded great. 1500 bucks for a machine with 2000 hours was a no brainer. Got it home and did an oil and fuel filter change, new air filter and cleaned it up. Now the prick wont start. Ive got the sediment bowl under the fuel filter about 3/4 full, bled the lines best I could from the manual steps which is bleed the fuel filter, the 2 bleeder screws on the injection pump then injectors one by one. Have clean fuel all the way to the injectors )it doesnt exactly squirt out just dribbles/runs out of the injectors) and it still wont start. Has good battery for the starter and all the obvious things. Even put a new lift pump on. It will burp sometimes and run for about 3 seconds til it runs out of fuel again. Please help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln sa250 with 3 cyl Perkins wont start.

I would start with the fuel filter. Check to be sure you don't have an old gasket that stayed in place. Always fill new filter with fuel when installing. Sounds like it's sucking air somewhere in fuel system.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say air entrapment. I would bleed everything again . You might try a little either in the intake afterword. I do not like to do that much but to get it to go so it cleans out the air it should be ok. Did it start good before you did your maintenance or did you just bring it home and go to it. FYI I always run a new to me diesel for a little while( several starts from stone cold, warm starts, full load power, short circuit amp output ext.) before I do anything more than change oil . So I can know more about what is normal for it. That makes a problem like this easier to narrow down.

For that kind of money, if the engine is in good shape it was a steal.
    Last edited by thegary; 04-11-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ill try it. I shoulda messed with it more before I messed with it but yeah I started it twice before I bought it and once at home just long enough to get the oil warm for the oil change. Ran great all 3 times its definitely an operator error and this is my first diesel powered Lincoln Ive owned so Im learning.

Post Thanks / Like

Be VERY VERY careful using either on a Perkins. Better to just bleed the lines a couple more times. They are very finicky to air in the fuel system.

Post Thanks / Like

You gotta get the air out of the fuel system!
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didnt pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

I have a perkins in our old Bobcat, and it is a booger to get all the air out of the system, also make sure you aren't sucking in air some place too. Keep at it. You will get it. Cussing seems to help with mine

Post Thanks / Like

Does it by chance have an oil pressure shutdown installed? (Murphy switch)

Post Thanks / Like

I just played with it more today. A lot of pumping the lift pump pedal and cranking the starter. Fired 4 times for a few seconds. Found a drip under the fuel filter and got that closedown up then checked all the fuel line fittings again. More cranking and pumping tomorrow. Thanks for the input

Post Thanks / Like

How do you go about getting the air out of the lines? Ive gotten a lot of different answers on that question. All I did was start at the filter and pump then the two bleeders on the injector pump then crack the injectors. Now everythings closed up and Ive been pumping the lift pump about 30 times and cranking the starter for about 10 seconds in between. Occasionally it rises to life for a few seconds. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 4 cyl perkins in my Lincoln sae 400. Bleed everything starting at the fuel filter. Then using a line wrench take one injector line lose at the injector. USE CAUTION -- HIGH PRESSURE FUEL IS NOTHING TO PLAY WITH. Bleed each one. Some times I only need to bleed one before she starts.

Post Thanks / Like

Prefill the fuel filter/s before installing them, this will help too. I put a lift pump on my Duramax that helped alot.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didnt pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whosyourdaddy View Post
    How do you go about getting the air out of the lines? I’ve gotten a lot of different answers on that question. All I did was start at the filter and pump then the two bleeders on the injector pump then crack the injectors. Now everything’s closed up and I’ve been pumping the lift pump about 30 times and cranking the starter for about 10 seconds in between. Occasionally it rises to life for a few seconds. Thanks
    Basically we have an electric fuel pump we turn on and bleed out the filter. The rest have to be bled out while cranking the motor over. The key is to keep cranking it while closing the fuel lines. If you stop and then close the fuel lines you can suck air back in I am told. Again you start bleeding at the filter, and work your way to the injectors. I hope this helps.