+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lincoln weld pak 180HD 0.030 drive roll for flux core wire

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln weld pak 180HD 0.030 drive roll for flux core wire

I need help here.
    Just did a project with less than 1/8 thick tubing and it is very easy to burn through with the 0.035 flux core wire I am using. The 2-C setting is recommended and 2-B does not produce good arc.

I think I need to try 0.030 flux core as I read some articles that it works better for the thin stuff.
    However I can't find the 0.030 drive roll anywhere that I think will fit. The 0.030 drive roll (big circle, 2 flats) I see is not like 0.035 roll (small circle, one key) at all.

Please help me out. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln weld pak 180HD 0.030 drive roll for flux core wire

My bad, checked the manual, it says the 0.035 drive roller will take 0.030 both solid and flux core as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this, I have the exact same machine and bought 0.030 solid wire and couldn't find the 0.030 drive roller, I used the 0.035 roller and set the tensionor to #3 and haven't had an issue, but reading this re-assures me, because I lost my manual haha.

All the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreJoule View Post
    Thanks for posting this, I have the exact same machine and bought 0.030 solid wire and couldn't find the 0.030 drive roller, I used the 0.035 roller and set the tensionor to #3 and haven't had an issue, but reading this re-assures me, because I lost my manual haha.

All the best
    You can probably download a manual from the Lincoln website.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

When you're looking for those manuals, and other lincoln info, search using lincolnelectric, one word..

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...r-manuals.aspx
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to welding and just recently bought this welder. I have the the code 11938 that references the make-up of your welder. Go here with your code #: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...80HD&type=text

It's not documented well in the manual but the KP3285-1 is a knurled roller for the roller design with a hole and drive pin. One side works for 0.040" flux cored and the other for 0.030"/0.035". Lincoln told me to set the 0.035" wire between the 1-3 setting.

Also, the older design with the oval/flats takes KP2529-3.

Maybe take a look at the post I made that many forum members have given me much more then expected help: http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...Weld-Questions

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Get some gas, use hard wire and drop down to .025 diameter wire. Hard wire is much cleaner than the flux core and has a less forceful arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    When you're looking for those manuals, and other lincoln info, search using lincolnelectric, one word..

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...r-manuals.aspx
    Thanks for the links on manuals and to others for the info in this thread, very helpful.

I agree with people recommending to switch to hard wire and shielding gas. I stayed with 0.035 flux core for my first year because I didn't know where to source gas and it felt complicated, but the machine comes with the regulator and everything except the bottle of C25 gas. I switched to gas and 0.030 wire 2 months ago and I wont go back unless I need to weld hotter for thicker material. Solid wire has made my weekend welding more fun/clean for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreJoule View Post
    Thanks for the links on manuals and to others for the info in this thread, very helpful.

I agree with people recommending to switch to hard wire and shielding gas. I stayed with 0.035 flux core for my first year because I didn't know where to source gas and it felt complicated, but the machine comes with the regulator and everything except the bottle of C25 gas. I switched to gas and 0.030 wire 2 months ago and I wont go back unless I need to weld hotter for thicker material. Solid wire has made my weekend welding more fun/clean for sure.
    What size cylinder did you get? Did you purchase it or rent/lease it?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MBG View Post
    What size cylinder did you get? Did you purchase it or rent/lease it?

Thanks
    I went with an 80CF cylinder. I decided to buy it instead of rent. Since welding is a hobby for me, I won't go through a tank fast enough to make leasing worth it (by the time its empty i'll have "bought" the tank in monthly rental payments). This way I will just swap it out for the price of gas at the supplier I bought it from. Some people recommend getting the largest tank you can get since, like anything, overall cost goes down when you buy in a larger quantity (like getting multiple 2lb wire spools vs a 10lb spool). I've already blown through a 2lb spool of wire on a few projects I had and the needle on my regulator only dropped a "tick" (like 100psi out of ~2000). I avoided gas because I didnt want to deal with the hassle of running out and having another consumable to worry about, but the benefits far outweigh that!
    As for the type of supplier, I'm in Canada, so I dont know how much help I can be there, I went with Josef gas because they have a location close to my work.
    Last edited by OneMoreJoule; 04-28-2018 at 02:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

don't understand all the drive roller questions lately on the 180. Lincoln gives you everything you need, then puts the manual online on how to use it. The double roller thats is included is good for all flux and solid. 023 to. 035 and the tensioner is for not crushing flux or slipping on hardwire. I use every wire lincoln offers and all work......as well as some things they don't offer because i run. 023 wire in it sometimes and never slips.

40 cu ft cyl lasts me about a week and a half doing 30 mins or so work a night. 80 cu ft is close to a month. My current bottle is 125 cu ft and will last me a few months easily, plus is cheaper to fill larger tanks. I only run 7cfh because i work inside with no wind.

For those who are wondering what those numbers mean on the front of your machine, I've included the conversion chart that i taped to the inside of my machine for reference. Note, that is open voltage, your ipm will change voltage variables. Anyone with a mig with digital readout can tell you how much it fluctuates even while in use. You are only setting a median point from which to work. It is specific only to the 180 pro/hd/whatever. if you have a "c" model the first half of the dial is 10 to 18 volts. That is effectively the difference in the c model, it drops extra low in voltage to do thin sheetmetal work and has a slightly different roller assembly.

Last edited by One1; 04-28-2018 at 08:36 PM.
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Lincoln 180 Mig
    Lincoln 3350 2.0
    CK CK17FV
    CK CK9FV

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist