Thread: Poor MIG machine or Poor MIG welder?

Post Thanks / Like

Poor MIG machine or Poor MIG welder?

I am a poor MIG welder. It's a fact.
    And my machine is a SIHIO 130 which is an el cheapo Chinese thing I've had for 10 years.
    It has four power settings.
    It has infinite wire speed settings over a dial numbered to 10 - but I never get to setting number 2 even.

So it is quite possible the machine has severe limitations.

Now today I'm trying to weld the pan of a rusty old wheelbarrow.

On the inside two sheets of metal overlap and the inner piece has lifted off so there's a 3/16" gap or so that catches the shovel if you go in from that end.

So instead of drilling holes and bolting it together I thought I'd check out the old MIG and just see what could be done.

All that preamble just setting the stage for you so's you know what's going on.

Now here's the problem: I just get chains of bumps. Like a string of raisins or something.

No matter what i do I can't just lay a long smooth bead.

These raisins are only about 3/16" apart. That's how frequent it is.

It kind of 'stutters' like as though there's too much wire feeding in and jamming, breaking the arc, stopping the weld, then starting again when that wire's burned.

I get burn through pretty quick. The metal is thin and/or poor. So I can't crank the volts up any more.

I'm aiming the wire at the edge of the top piece in order to stop burn through.

No matter what I do I can't stop it doing that.

Except that's a bit of a lie. If I run a test bead on another part of the pan I can lay a long bead there.

Moving pretty fast so's it won't burn through.

On the working edge I don't move that fast - I'm trying to deposit some metal but mostly rather than drop some metal down there it just seems to eat the edge away.... like it's too hot needs more wire... but more wire doesn't work, more stuttering and bigger 'lumps' is all.

I know I've probably just got to keep working at it until I figure it out but I just thought I'd toss it out lest it's plain to some what my problem is.

Except looking close I can see that's not happening.

The thing seems to be stuttering as though the power is shutting off or it's finding non-conductive areas of metal.

You can see the mess it is here: https://imgur.com/a/cJnVq5B

You can see the 'long' bead I laid on the bare metal. Even it has a couple of bumps in it. And it finishes in a burn through.
    Last edited by abrogard; 05-02-2018 at 04:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poor MIG machine or Poor MIG welder?

Try turning your welder down, wire speed down, and keep the stick-out of the wire 1/2". If it's still just burning holes, trigger weld. By that I mean pull the trigger for a second, then release and let the puddle cool for a second and repeat. If the max speed you're getting on your welder is 2, then you may be running too low of a speed. Try going up on your wire speed. Very little increments.
    Last edited by EF5_Tornado; 05-02-2018 at 04:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

By the looks of your welds, it looks like either you are welding on something way too thin, or you are too high on voltage, to low on wire speed, too much stick-out, and way to fast of a travel speed. All you're getting is spatter.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont try to run beads on that. Play with the settings and try doing small circles about the size of a fingernail. In my shop we would have grabbed the torches and brazed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Put some bondo on it.

Post Thanks / Like

try grinding the metal clean before you weld....not after...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    Put some bondo on it.
    Or bull and membrane

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds that have a 120 v MIG welder
    This type like E71T GS .o30" [.08mm] wire
    They work best on just one setting
    With 1/2" stickout from contact to work

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    I am a poor MIG welder. It's a fact.
    And my machine is a SIHIO 130 which is an el cheapo Chinese thing I've had for 10 years.
    It has four power settings.
    It has infinite wire speed settings over a dial numbered to 10 - but I never get to setting number 2 even.

So it is quite possible the machine has severe limitations.

Now today I'm trying to weld the pan of a rusty old wheelbarrow.

On the inside two sheets of metal overlap and the inner piece has lifted off so there's a 3/16" gap or so that catches the shovel if you go in from that end.

So instead of drilling holes and bolting it together I thought I'd check out the old MIG and just see what could be done.

All that preamble just setting the stage for you so's you know what's going on.

Now here's the problem: I just get chains of bumps. Like a string of raisins or something.

No matter what i do I can't just lay a long smooth bead.

These raisins are only about 3/16" apart. That's how frequent it is.

It kind of 'stutters' like as though there's too much wire feeding in and jamming, breaking the arc, stopping the weld, then starting again when that wire's burned.

I get burn through pretty quick. The metal is thin and/or poor. So I can't crank the volts up any more.

I'm aiming the wire at the edge of the top piece in order to stop burn through.

No matter what I do I can't stop it doing that.

Except that's a bit of a lie. If I run a test bead on another part of the pan I can lay a long bead there.

Moving pretty fast so's it won't burn through.

On the working edge I don't move that fast - I'm trying to deposit some metal but mostly rather than drop some metal down there it just seems to eat the edge away.... like it's too hot needs more wire... but more wire doesn't work, more stuttering and bigger 'lumps' is all.

I know I've probably just got to keep working at it until I figure it out but I just thought I'd toss it out lest it's plain to some what my problem is.

Except looking close I can see that's not happening.

The thing seems to be stuttering as though the power is shutting off or it's finding non-conductive areas of metal.

You can see the mess it is here: https://imgur.com/a/cJnVq5B

You can see the 'long' bead I laid on the bare metal. Even it has a couple of bumps in it. And it finishes in a burn through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    You made your bed.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you are welding dirt. I donít think any advice would be helpful until you grind it to clean metal to make sure that is not the problem. I like brazing, but metal that thin in my inexperienced hands will burn through way before my brazing rod melts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have the polarity set correctly.
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Post Thanks / Like

I've never bought a MIG of your type. I have tried a few. One Miller $900 machine worked somewhat for rocker panel replacement. I've never succeeded with thicker, or thinner. The Millermatic 252 will zip up wheelbarrow joints cleanly, and efficiently.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a minimum 12 gauge power cord ..10 gauge if you can..and a 4 ga ground cable...Youll feel the difference right away on the small machine.. Its struggling since its small already so give it some help

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Use a copper backing plate. That will help too. As mentioned CLEAN area is needed.
    A quality machine would really help.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=abrogard;8613978]I am a poor MIG welder. It's a fact.

you need a better welder... Those welders are generally

AC output- a complete no no
    have no capacitor to smooth output
    have no inductor on output

So they output a totally unsuitable waveform to weld with

add to that that the input voltage to the wire drive motor sags when the arc is struck since the voltage is derived right from the welding circuit

Do yourself a favor and buy a better quality welder or take the work to a friend that has a better quality machine you could also do all the mods to the welder that you have but for the work and $ Probably find something on CL that would be a better choice.

Grinding the area clean before starting would also help.

Sorry jmo

If you get a chance to test drive a quality DC Mig/ FCAW machine you will immediately be amazed how much easier it is to lay a decent bead and probably be hooked on upgrading to a better quality welder.
    Last edited by 455dan; 06-17-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    1962 Idealarc Tig 300 300
    1974 Idealarc Tig 300 300 ( till owner needs it back)
    1988 Power Mig 150 (.112 f cap mod)
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/arc/tig
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges