Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Certified welder that can not find a job

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Certified welder that can not find a job

Quote Originally Posted by countrykiller76 View Post
    I can agree almost completely. Except that REALLY GOOD mechanics are out of work very often. Iím a certified tech for alignments and welding any positions with any process. I have no work ANYWHERE in Washington. They donít want a 20 year old Native American.
    My girlfriend was a LEAD diesel nechsnic for caterpillar for 5 years (sheís 25) and now canít find a job anywhere either.
    Companies arenít looking for experienced people, theyíre looking to fill the image of who they want in their mind.
    You age and how you pay you want
    Also what some can do more than just weld . A lot do care if you have cert..
    In California they do not care where where you came from today
    Just if you can do the job and your low cost.

Dave

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

I can agree almost completely. Except that REALLY GOOD mechanics are out of work very often. Iím a certified tech for alignments and welding any positions with any process. I have no work ANYWHERE in Washington. They donít want a 20 year old Native American.
    My girlfriend was a LEAD diesel nechsnic for caterpillar for 5 years (sheís 25) and now canít find a job anywhere either.
    Companies arenít looking for experienced people, theyíre looking to fill the image of who they want in their mind.

Where are you in Washington? I do quite a bit of heavy truck work. PM if you would like.

Post Thanks / Like

I think someone mentioned Pipefitters #211 Apprentice program:
    http://www.pipefitterslocal211.com/f...ining-houston/

Good luck with your search!

Post Thanks / Like

So many people out of school start at a shipyard and move on when they learn to weld. How come more ships donít leak and sink?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

@JGPenfield, Ummmm, I think that's why ships have some pretty big awesome bilge pumps

I know for a fact that certain companies have resources trolling the internet looking at what people do and when they see something they like they aren't shy so get some of your work out there, heck start putting pics in the 'what I welded today thread' for a start!!! think of it as an online resume'...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JGPenfield View Post
    So many people out of school start at a shipyard and move on when they learn to weld. How come more ships don’t leak and sink?

Have you any idea how many grinding wheels are used in shipyards to remove defective welds found by Xray and UT?

Many shipyards operate their own training schools within the company. If a young man can get in, and take advantage of the system he's very fortunate.

I read last week that many employers are so desperate for employees they are overlooking pot & beer use. This will not last long and robots will replace more and more welding machine operators. Oddly, it was predicted by Mr Lincoln back in the 70s when he advocated more bends and less welds for the coming generations of welding machine operators who would replace weldors.

Sent from my garage door opener button

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 years formal education as a carpenter. When i graduated school and went to work, it was grunt work.

On paper i was a Union carpenter but in practice my job was cleaning up, moving materials from A to B or stuffing insulation all day.

3 months later i was off on my own framing rooms.

No one is going to hire you for the task you want to do with no work experience. Get a job, any job, and show what youíre worth and they will take notice.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Zach

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    I have 2 years formal education as a carpenter. When i graduated school and went to work, it was grunt work.

On paper i was a Union carpenter but in practice my job was cleaning up, moving materials from A to B or stuffing insulation all day.

3 months later i was off on my own framing rooms.

No one is going to hire you for the task you want to do with no work experience. Get a job, any job, and show what youíre worth and they will take notice.
    I agree with you

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post

Where are you in Washington? I do quite a bit of heavy truck work. PM if you would like.
    Turdbox moses Lake. The hair dryer of Seattle

Post Thanks / Like

Very small world sometimes. That reply pretty much tells me in no way would we be compatible. I think honestly your problem is attitude rather than ethnicity.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep at it in looking for work and practicing .
    From what I'm hearing Oilfield work across Texas is picking up.
    All those guys that put up there rigs or sold them during the last bust will rig up again. There will be a shortage of welders for awhile .

Post Thanks / Like

I joined the carpenters union at 18 immediately out of high school. People i worked with came from all walks of life in every skin tone.

Those that excelled came in all forms as well because it was their ATTITUDE, WORK ETHIC and DEDICATION to their craft that people noticed, not their skin color.

You’re an immature 20 year old with a poor outlook and excuses on why you can’t find work.

Chances are there are jobs out there but they are entry level jobs you feel you are above, evidenced by saying your girlfriend is a lead diesel mechanic who can’t find work. A skilled experienced tradesman is rarely out of work with the references they make along the way. Often times guys will get offers they have to pass on when they’re that good.

Don’t chase what you want to be doing, chase opportunity. You’re 20 years old you have the world in front of you and plenty of time to spare. You just have to be willing to do what you may feel is beneath you for a short while to get there.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 05-13-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Zach

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    I joined the carpenters union at 18 immediately out of high school. People i worked with came from all walks of life in every skin tone.

Those that excelled came in all forms as well because it was their ATTITUDE, WORK ETHIC and DEDICATION to their craft that people noticed, not their skin color.

You’re an immature 20 year old with a poor outlook and excuses on why you can’t find work.

Chances are there are jobs out there but they are entry level jobs you feel you are above, evidenced by saying your girlfriend is a lead diesel mechanic who can’t find work. A skilled experienced tradesman is rarely out of work with the references they make along the way. Often times guys will get offers they have to pass on when they’re that good.

Don’t chase what you want to be doing, chase opportunity. You’re 20 years old you have the world in front of you and plenty of time to spare. You just have to be willing to do what you may feel is beneath you for a short while to get there.
    Very well stated. I wish I had put my reply down this well. On a related note I have an employee named Jose. The guy is an animal doing brakes and suspension work on semi trucks and trailers. He can do a clutch job on most trucks in an 8 hour shift. Guess what? I pay him $10 bucks an hour more than he originally asked for to get in the door. He's not an engine rebuilder, but I have plenty of work that he does. Sometimes communication can be an issue, but he has learned to just get me to show him if he gets stuck. Dude has learned a lot in a year and a half.

Post Thanks / Like

Needed work bad about 25 years ago after getting laid off from my welding gig. No welding jobs available so I hit the streets with some resumes, fresh haircut and clean work clothes. I didnt care what the job was as long as I could support my family. Found a job as a helper installing sheet metal duct in new homes. Hard work and got cussed at and tools thrown at me for a while because I didnt know how to cut duct without leaving little meathooks on the cut ends...learned by lunchtime though.

Shoed up everyday on time ready to work. Within 2 months I was helping the furnace installer instead of the duct crew. One day the furnace installer called off, boss asked me if I could do it with a helper. Did the job and next I was the installer. Within a year of showing up ready to work and giving the boss an honest day’s work I was a service tech with a company truck to take home.

Not everyone gets to start at the top with top wages at the job they want to do. If I had employees I would value a willingness to work and learn over book learning. Might not get a big wage starting out but most employers do notice hard work and pay and job growth will follow.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by srt92 View Post
    ....3. Alot of open jobs are billingual only. I don't speak spanish. Walked into alot of these shops looking for work not knowing it was just only for billingual speaking people and got some nasty looks. I'm 25 yr old African American btw...
    I know that we are talking totally different jobs but in my line of work (I live in Spain), speaking only Spanish does not cut it, period. English is a requirement, mandatory. You don't go anywhere with it. And by now, that's just the minimum. You better start learning french, german, chineese, and even arabic. Otherwise you are just "another one", no better than the next in the line.

I do manage myself pretty well in Spanish, English and not so well in Euskera (local language pretty much useless anywhere but here, not related to any other language AT ALL) and French.

Face it, we live in a globalized world and the need to communicate with other people is there. English is probably the most universal language, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't make the effort to try speak another one.

And regarding your search for a job... best of luck! And even though I don't have a background on welding (as s job) saying you are "certified" doesn't sound too good. Certified in... what?. Besides, as other stated, being handy, basically a fix-anything guy, goes a long way.

Post Thanks / Like

Advertising for 'bilingual only' in Texas is code for we only want Mexicans. In other words - someone that can communicate with our illegals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    the number one turnoff, is when i hear, "i'm a certified welder". I'd rather hear, " i'm a certified gopher/grunt worker."
    Yup, I agree. What I wanted to hear in my little shop was something like "Hi, I'm looking for work. I have some mechanic training, but I can push a broom or do whatever you need done and I can start right now. Where's the broom?"

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy's daughter graduated college with a degree, and found herself working at a Sherwin Williams dealer, doing nothing related to her degree.

Recently, She just got offered a job installing commercial fire sprinkler systems at a huge pay rate increase, because of affirmative action demanding that they hire minorities, and more importantly women, in an environment not conducive to women usually applying for work. This opportunity is being presented to her, simply because she's female, precluding already qualified young males that are perfectly capable of doing the work.

I can't quite understand why a young , black man in the prime of his life can't find a job in today's work environment. Maybe you should look within and see if there's anything you're doing, or not doing, which is affecting your ability to find a job.
    Last edited by T man; 05-15-2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: grammar
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

Young man I know in his 20s has been at the local burger shack for a few years now. He's a good worker, fairly intelligent, and picks up skills quickly, and of course is looking for more money and a better job. Over time I have assessed him as someone worth a bit of my effort to make a few recommendations he apply here or there.

Last time I told him of a shop looking for entry level people who can read a ruler and interface to a computer where he'd have plenty of upward possibility he asked "do they test?". Sure do, they'll want you to demonstrate you can use a 12 foot tape measure and count to 50 pieces. He looked at me and said "I meant drugs.". Absolutely, you gonna pee in the cup to get hired, and probably once every 6 months to stay hired. He responded "Not worth it, I'm waiting for Whirlwind to start hiring.". I learned Whirlwind is a halfass supplier of musical appliances, and they hire dopers. I also learned he's a guitar player by trade, and since that trade doesn't pay much he smokes dope and works at the burger shack. Fine by me, he gets my order correct, never forgets extra hot sauce, and he'll be at that job for a long time.

Next time I was at the metal supplier I told my bud who passes out applications they'd save a lot of paper by just sticking a pisscup to a few on top of the stack. He tells me he just looks at the ears of anybody filling out an application. You got earrings, face hardware, or ear stretchers he marks a code on the application. They don't need stupid, and their insurance carrier places restrictions on who gets & stays employed. Dopers need not apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Young man I know in his 20s has been at the local burger shack for a few years now. He's a good worker, fairly intelligent, and picks up skills quickly, and of course is looking for more money and a better job. Over time I have assessed him as someone worth a bit of my effort to make a few recommendations he apply here or there.

Last time I told him of a shop looking for entry level people who can read a ruler and interface to a computer where he'd have plenty of upward possibility he asked "do they test?". Sure do, they'll want you to demonstrate you can use a 12 foot tape measure and count to 50 pieces. He looked at me and said "I meant drugs.". Absolutely, you gonna pee in the cup to get hired, and probably once every 6 months to stay hired. He responded "Not worth it, I'm waiting for Whirlwind to start hiring.". I learned Whirlwind is a halfass supplier of musical appliances, and they hire dopers. I also learned he's a guitar player by trade, and since that trade doesn't pay much he smokes dope and works at the burger shack. Fine by me, he gets my order correct, never forgets extra hot sauce, and he'll be at that job for a long time.

Next time I was at the metal supplier I told my bud who passes out applications they'd save a lot of paper by just sticking a pisscup to a few on top of the stack. He tells me he just looks at the ears of anybody filling out an application. You got earrings, face hardware, or ear stretchers he marks a code on the application. They don't need stupid, and their insurance carrier places restrictions on who gets & stays employed. Dopers need not apply.
    When you say "smokes dope" is he involved in substances like cocaine/meth or are we talking marijuana?

Not to derail the whole thread but the marijuana thing in this country is out of hand. I dont drink or smoke, (cigars here and there don't count right?) but if I had to do one or the other smoking marijuana is definitely a much healthier choice.

There are tons of exceptional people out there who do their job to the fullest and like to enjoy a glass of wine or marijuana on their own time in their own home after work. The government profiting more off of alcohol consequently making it legal isn't a reason to put someone down as a person or hiring prospect as long as that habit does not prove detrimental to their performance.

That said, its ridiculous to put your life on hold because you don't want to give something up. But hey, if that makes him happy than that's his problem... You led the horse to water, that's the most you can do...

Zach

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Potheads Need NOT Apply.
    It's pretty simple really, even though Harry Anslinger and Earl Warren perpetrated one hell of a fraud on the citizens back in the Depression.

Pot good -v- Pot bad is an entirely different discussion, as are the medical benefits of pot.

It all boils down to Insurance Carriers making the rules for who works and who sits on welfare. Add in OSHA, Unions and workplace safety there is no place for drunks or potheads in the section of the labor force making more than Minimum wage.

I'm old enough to well remember a pitcher of beer for 4 men with lunch and coolers of beer in truck boxes. I also remember men showing up Monday morning with their gallon of milk. Those days are nothing but memories. Oddly the change was instituted by the tradesmen who were tired of carrying the drunk or getting hurt because of a drunk.

20 years back I watched an 18 year old boy tell an Apprenticeship coordinator to shove it, he had a Constitutional Right to smoke dope. Today he still lives in Mom's house, and is still blackballed from any worthwhile job. He has a JOB, Just Over Broke wages, high insurance rates that accompany his DWI record, and a clapped out pickup. American Doper success story.

In my book, you gotta be flat stupid to think any employer is going to put you in a $50,000 truck with $25,000 of tools and risk his business and assets on you staying sober for the duration of the work day. You're that stupid adjust your life to Minimum Wage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    In my book, you gotta be flat stupid to think any employer is going to put you in a $50,000 truck with $25,000 of tools and risk his business and assets on you staying sober for the duration of the work day. You're that stupid adjust your life to Minimum Wage.
    I agree.

Everyone has the right to be a pothead. It's America. But, that also means the rest of us have the right to "not" put up with a pothead no matter how mainstream the pothead thinks marijuana is.

To stay on topic, I agree with the others. Start pushing brooms in a small shop. Pretty soon they'll have you helping to hold or grind parts, then pretty soon you'll be tacking them, and so on.

I'm an electrician by trade, we have shop guys who are nothing more than 18 year old kids fresh out of high school with ZERO experience. If they show some initiative pushing a broom, delivering parts, and digging ditches then we try and convince them to get into the apprenticeship and turn them into electricians.
    Last edited by Aceman; 05-16-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Very small world sometimes. That reply pretty much tells me in no way would we be compatible. I think honestly your problem is attitude rather than ethnicity.
    Why do you say that??? You in Tri-cities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It took me 4 years of half-hearted job searching to find a welding job. One friday, i had enough of the drama at my job, put in 8 or 9 apps on indeed, with full resume. It was enough to get me in front of people. Find a visual test first at a job shop or a production shop.

One staffing agency sent me on a "visual test" that was a 'look out' test... then came the 1" test. Doesnt matter the thickness, as long as you can set the welder and adjust up or down, you can pass the test...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk