+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mahindra 8’ Bucket

Post Thanks / Like

Mahindra 8’ Bucket

Did an 80” Bucket refloor for a friend of mine the other day. Looked like about 40% of the factory welds has little or no penetration on one leg or the other. This caused the floor to almost let go in the middle and the edge broke in half.

He decided he wanted the welded on edge replaced with a bolt on 2-sided edge.

Last edited by Vulcanel; 05-12-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mahindra 8’ Bucket

I replaced the floor with 1/4” plate. The blade he bought was only 74” and the bucket was 80” wide, so we decided to leave two 3” portions of the old blade on the outside corners. We shall see how this works out...

Bucket floor torched out

Corner of the bucket and fitting the new floor

Post Thanks / Like

Mahindra 8’ Bucket

Welded out with Ultrashield 71A75 0.045” with my Super S32P wire feeder off of the Trailblazer 301G.

Since I finished this bucket last weekend, the set of pallet forks I worked on this with broke with similar cold welds with little to no penetration. That will be next weekends project...

Post Thanks / Like

Mahindra = Junk

Know of 2 people who bought them and took them back
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fix ,you should tell the dealer to give everyone that buys one your card

Post Thanks / Like

Nice repair job!! Not sticking up for mahindra, but I think the operator is what I call a "rammer and jammer".
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Nice repair job!! Not sticking up for mahindra, but I think the operator is what I call a "rammer and jammer".
    Mike
    Definitely the case. Just look at the tips of those forks in the pictures!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and i did forget to say nice fix
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

mahindra is cheap homeowner quality..I have a 2016 37 hp new holland tractor and an acquaintance has a 2017 mahindra 30 something hp tractor( comparable size to the NH) and I compared them , everything on the mahindra is thinner and cheap feeling, the rear axles are almost half thickness compared to the NH, even the front tires on the mahindra are so much thinner , I think because the drive line doesnt have the strength to turn wider tires if they dig into the ground something will break from the torque needed to turn them..they are just flooding the market with cheap stuff, even if the price is a 4 or 5 thousand cheaper than the NH...but time will tell how it holds up..this will be another vulcan vs lincoln type argument. for light work the mahindra will probably service most people but not if you push it to work hard..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    Nice fix ,you should tell the dealer to give everyone that buys one your card
    This may be the best business advice I’ll ever receive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    mahindra is cheap homeowner quality..I have a 2016 37 hp new holland tractor and an acquaintance has a 2017 mahindra 30 something hp tractor( comparable size to the NH) and I compared them , everything on the mahindra is thinner and cheap feeling, the rear axles are almost half thickness compared to the NH, even the front tires on the mahindra are so much thinner , I think because the drive line doesnt have the strength to turn wider tires if they dig into the ground something will break from the torque needed to turn them..they are just flooding the market with cheap stuff, even if the price is a 4 or 5 thousand cheaper than the NH...but time will tell how it holds up..this will be another vulcan vs lincoln type argument. for light work the mahindra will probably service most people but not if you push it to work hard..
    IMO, it’s not worth the lower price, It definitely is light duty. Everywhere it should be welded solid is just stitch welded instead. The steel itself seems like it is dirty too, as it tends to fracture in ways I’m not used to seeing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanel View Post
    IMO, it’s not worth the lower price, It definitely is light duty. Everywhere it should be welded solid is just stitch welded instead. The steel itself seems like it is dirty too, as it tends to fracture in ways I’m not used to seeing.
    Third world problems.
    They are the number one selling tractor in the world. Of course what they don't tell you is that 90% of them are sold in other third world countries including India where they are built.

Post Thanks / Like

if this holds up I'd be surprised, normally with a bolt on edge you have a welded cutting edge or at least thicker piece of metal welded to the bucket you bolt through. On the other hand your dual shield looks nice.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Vulcanel;8616279]Definitely the case. Just look at the tips of those forks in the pictures!!

There are some savages out there

Name:  forklift z.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  89.4 KB

Not my pic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cd19 View Post
    if this holds up I'd be surprised, normally with a bolt on edge you have a welded cutting edge or at least thicker piece of metal welded to the bucket you bolt through. On the other hand your dual shield looks nice.
    I think that’s a good point. Since I did it I’ve been worried about the sides where there’s a small space between the bolt on blade and the 3” pieces of the old blade. Seems like a good spot for cracks to start...

Post Thanks / Like

That must be a thin or mostly rusted through post? Looking at the radius I am guessing 11g or even 13g?
    Last edited by deafman; 05-16-2018 at 07:02 PM.
    Lincoln Power MIG 180.
    Winco 6000 watt generator (13hp Honda)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deafman View Post
    That must be a thin or mostly rusted through post? Looking at the radius I am guessing 11g or even 13g?
    It’s 11 gauge. The whole bucket is made out of the same thickness. The floor is now 1/4”.

Not much rust at all on it, I think it’s less than a year old

Post Thanks / Like

Doing same to 5 ft bucket for JD 4000 series with 430 loader
    Flooring with 11 gauge
    Leading edge 3/8 x 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kolot View Post
    Doing same to 5 ft bucket for JD 4000 series with 430 loader
    Flooring with 11 gauge
    Leading edge 3/8 x 6
    Post pics of how it goes, if you’d like. I’d be interested to see how yours goes compared to this one

Post Thanks / Like

Is that angle iron on top of cutting edge. I see that peeling back like the first photo.

Welds do look very good

On second look that does look lime just the cuttong edge. It appears to be light duty kinda tractor bucket so should hold up well. Id hard face the corners you left. A working bucket om skidsteer or backhoe will show the most wear on corners maybe not so much in this type of application
    Last edited by evan; 05-18-2018 at 12:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    we have mahindra down here.
    i havn't seen the tractors but i know guys with the utes/pickups. one of them just had the chassis galved because its already rusting. local dealer has one in the car yard and its got rust on the bolts already.
    not to mention a gutless engine. at least the lack pf power will be kind to the driveline. i think the Chinese counterpart is actually better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    Is that angle iron on top of cutting edge. I see that peeling back like the first photo.

Welds do look very good

On second look that does look lime just the cuttong edge. It appears to be light duty kinda tractor bucket so should hold up well. Id hard face the corners you left. A working bucket om skidsteer or backhoe will show the most wear on corners maybe not so much in this type of application
    The angle iron I just tacked on the sides of the bucket to keep them from bowing in when the floor was cut out.

We kicked around the idea of hardfacing the corners, and may still do it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tweake View Post
    we have mahindra down here.
    i havn't seen the tractors but i know guys with the utes/pickups. one of them just had the chassis galved because its already rusting. local dealer has one in the car yard and its got rust on the bolts already.
    not to mention a gutless engine. at least the lack pf power will be kind to the driveline. i think the Chinese counterpart is actually better.
    I have talked to a few people that bought mahindras and it seems the one item that pushed them in that direction is mahindra is using older engines that dont require the burnoff feature on the exhaust system, I have it on my newer new holland and yeah its a pain, because about every 4 to 5 hours it goes into clean mode and it must run for about 40 minutes( you can use the tractor during this time) but it must run, you can over ride it twice before the computer locks the engine from starting and back to the dealer so they can hook up a laptop to the tractor and start it to burn off, but its a small price to pay for a quality tractor, I just try and time it to make use of the extra 40 minute run time than just let it sit and burn the crap out of the converter, personally a joke of a design to make the climate change nuts rich, so the tractor runs clean and then burns all the collected particulate at once and it smokes like a chimney when it does, I guess they dont count that pollution in the equation..

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like money pole for a good welder

Dave

[QUOTE=sky hy ironman;8617097]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanel View Post
    Definitely the case. Just look at the tips of those forks in the pictures!!

There are some savages out there

Name:  forklift z.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  89.4 KB

Not my pic

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist