Thread: He / Ar premix for Aluminum TIG?

Post Thanks / Like

He / Ar premix for Aluminum TIG?

I know there's been lots of discussion on "blending" your own from 2 tanks to give higher heat on thicker Alum. BUT,,, I have several tanks and though of just getting a mix of He/Ar in one of them.

As I look on-line for info on what would be best all I find is talk of TriMix for SS and they contain some sm quantity of Co2. Not sure if that's appropriate for Tig Aluminum.

Anybody know what is?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: He / Ar premix for Aluminum TIG?

Helium based trimix is for MIGing stainless.
    TIG does not like carbon dioxide.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle of 75% Ar /25% He for thicker sections of aluminum. To be honest I have yet to put it to use yet.

Did some experiments with a 65% Ar/ 35% He a while ago, I think this might be the bottle I will go with next time. Makes a 200 amp machine able to weld 3/8" thick joints.
    Red Seal Journeyman Welder (2003), Red Seal Journeyman Metal Fabricator (2018), Welding Engineering Technologist (2005)
    Pressure - ASME Section IX
    Structural - CSA W47.1, CSA W47.2
    Transport tanker - CSA B620
    Aerospace - AWS D17.1

Post Thanks / Like

ask at the gas suppliers.
    this side of the world they have a range of He/Ar mixtures. i would expect you guys to have it also.
    i think the lowest mix i can get is 30% helium called alushield light.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so here's why not to do this....

I went with one of my 300cui tanks for straight Argon and said "can you get me a 75/25 mix with He?". They said sure, we have it at our other depot, you can just go pick it up there now. I was geiitn' excited I then ask, "How much is it going to be?"

At Hocon Gas;

a 300 of Ar is $85.00
    a 300 of He is $300

So, in my head, I'm thinking they take out $20 of Ar and add $75 of He, how much could it be?

The answer is, they take out 25% of the Ar and add that $75 of He and come up with $275.00!!! (25 bucks less than getting a full load of He)

So if I want to do this I'm going to have to Blend (just have to find a smaller tank, all mine are 300's). The up-side of the trip was that, when I bought straight Ar, they took my 300 in and gave me a 330