Thread: F/S Hypertherm Powermax 85

Post Thanks / Like

F/S Hypertherm Powermax 85

Up for sale is my Hypertherm powermax 85 plasma cutter. About 4 years old with about 40 hours on it. $3000 + $100 shipping to the low 48 states or pickup for free. For more info please contact me. Getting ready to retire won't need anything this big.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: F/S Hypertherm Powermax 85

Machine torch? Where are you located?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry forgot to say, 25' Hand torch.
    Last edited by mechanic416; 05-28-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been talking to the people at Hypertherm about plasma. I have only used entry level plasma. Disappointing would be my one word of description. I'm an electrician, but a tool addict. I want more power. I would like to know what it will do. I fabricate, and I don't cut one thickness. I cut sheet, structural, aluminum, and stainless. I can buy a new XP45 for $2000 by the time I purchase the essential extras. My niece's husband is an engineer in their high pressure water equipment, but seems out of the loop in plasma. I've talked to someone utterly vague at Hypertherm. He suggests I buy the biggest I can afford.

I hope to cut 1/2" cleanly. When I asked if it took more, or less power to cut aluminum, he was unable to say. He wanted to know if I was interested in a water jet.

The plasma I have seen cuts thick steel as cleanly as carbon arc. I can't buy it if that is as good as it does. Clue me in.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Power max 65 will cut 1/2 smooth as anything on CNC table, freehand the cut is only as good as you, which with a drag tip and a guide can be good.
    Jim colt should chime in, he is the one reason I would never leave hypertherm , Jim is the walking plasma enclopedia of knowledge
    Mikw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I've been talking to the people at Hypertherm about plasma. I have only used entry level plasma. Disappointing would be my one word of description. I'm an electrician, but a tool addict. I want more power. I would like to know what it will do. I fabricate, and I don't cut one thickness. I cut sheet, structural, aluminum, and stainless. I can buy a new XP45 for $2000 by the time I purchase the essential extras. My niece's husband is an engineer in their high pressure water equipment, but seems out of the loop in plasma. I've talked to someone utterly vague at Hypertherm. He suggests I buy the biggest I can afford.

I hope to cut 1/2" cleanly. When I asked if it took more, or less power to cut aluminum, he was unable to say. He wanted to know if I was interested in a water jet.

The plasma I have seen cuts thick steel as cleanly as carbon arc. I can't buy it if that is as good as it does. Clue me in.

Willie
    Jim colt is the man to talk to at hypertherm. Very knowledgeable, the one for sale is a heck of a plasma and likely way more than most of us would ever need unless you have a nice big plasma table too

Good luck with the sale

Brett

Post Thanks / Like

Using a plasma cutter is just like using a torch or welder. Learning how to use it the right way and practice you can make very nice, clean, almost doss free cuts by hand. The more you use it the more you learn what it will and won't do.

Yes it will cut aluminum not as clean as a saw. It takes more power to cut aluminum, copper and brass then steel. The 85 is rated at 1" mild steel and 1 1/2" sever, stainless just about the same. I think 3/4" aluminum and 1/2" copper and brass. But then you can't cut stainless, aluminum, copper or brass with a torch.

Post Thanks / Like

he Powermax85 is factory rated to be able to pierce 3/4", however can edge start and sever to 1 1/2". To stay within duty cycle, etc. and to be able to cut at production speeds the Powermax85 is rated by Hypertherm as a 3/4" production machine. The Powermax85 will run on any voltage from 200 VAC to 600 VAC single phase or 3 phase. It is commonly operated on 60 amp (or higher) 220 to 240 volt single phase welder circuits. The price that mechanic has listed is a good price for that unit, and he is an honest seller from all accounts that I am aware of!

The Powermax45XP is factory rated to pierce through 1/2", production rated for 5/8" (duty cycle, though pierce is recommended at 1/2"), and can sever 1". It operates on single phase power from 208 through 240 volts, a 50 amp welder style circuit is adequate.

Good quality commercial style plasma cutters are easier to use and will cut circles around any of the low cost import plasma cutters. The Hypertherm systems are designed and built in the USA by employees that own 100% of the company.

Here are pics of 1/2" steel cut with the 45 amp process....similar quality can be achieved with either the 45XP or the 85, however the 85 will be faster and has thicker capacity. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Name:  .5 parts cut quality.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  160.3 KB
    Last edited by jimcolt; 05-29-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Price drop $2700 + shipping or pickup for free.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya'll better hurry , the price is getting right for me.
    One question tho , compared to a 45xp how much cut speed could I pick up on 1/4" plate with the 85?

Post Thanks / Like

Google-fu of the cut charts says production cut speed on 1/4” is 60ipm for the 45XP and 130ipm for the 85.

That’s a real tempting price for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

45 amps/ 45 XP cuts .250 at 48 ipm (best quality) 72 ipm (production) 85 amps cuts .250 at 130-160 ipm. Lot more bevel will be the downside to cutting that way.. Might not matter to you though..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i