+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harbor Freight Sand Blasting Cabinet Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight Sand Blasting Cabinet Problems

One of the pieces to the puzzle arrived today. The main piece to the new siphon set up I will be using. The Metering Valve. I placed a water bottle cap in two of the pictures for size comparison.

Name:  20180621_180209.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  85.8 KB
    Name:  20180621_180125.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  84.5 KB
    Name:  20180621_180037.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  83.8 KB
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the harbor freight cabinet I replaced the hose and put a gun they use on their sand blast pots the small plastic ones and it works well.

Post Thanks / Like

So I go to Home Depot to buy a drill arbor for the hole saws I have and they don't have one that will fit my saws. So I have to buy a whole new set up. $30.00 later for a Milwaukee saw and quick arbor set up.

Any one ever use the Milwaukee Hole Dozer set up?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to drill the 1-3/4" hole in the bottom of the hopper drain door and the bit grabbed and ripped the drill right out of my hand tossing it self about 6' across my garage. I was surprised how easy the Dewalt Drill wrenched it self out of my hands.

So any way I got that hole drilled and 12 other small holes drilled in the Frame I made out of 1/8" x 1" flat bar to support the bottom of the hopper since I am trimming and moving the bottom blasting grill lower into the hopper for more space to use with bigger parts. Pics are self explanatory.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

This his how the meter valve looks hooked up to the hopper trap door.

Post Thanks / Like

Cost to date.

Cabinet $156.00
    Metering Valve $61.00
    Foot Pedal and Gun kit $67.00
    1" x 3" Pipe $2.50
    1" threaded Pipe Plate $7.00
    1x Polyurethane Caulking $4.00
    Foam Weather Stripping single sided adhesive $3.00
    1x Can of Black Satin finish Rust-Oleum paint $4.00
    Cheap Chinese Cyclone Dust collector $18.00
    HD Rigid Shop Vac $54.00

Total to date : $377 ish.

I still need to purchase and or add the following: light switch, light sockets, bright light bulbs, a T fitting for air gun and blasting gun, air gun to blow off parts, make a screen to sift out debrit, hose fittings for vacuum system, regulator, air hose, vacuum hose, replacement glass for inside while blasting and I'm sure there is a few more things I am forgetting.

Edit: also need a desiccant bead air dryer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Cost to date.

Cabinet $156.00
    Metering Valve $61.00
    Foot Pedal and Gun kit $67.00
    1" x 3" Pipe $2.50
    1" threaded Pipe Plate $7.00
    1x Polyurethane Caulking $4.00
    Foam Weather Stripping single sided adhesive $3.00
    1x Can of Black Satin finish Rust-Oleum paint $4.00
    Cheap Chinese Cyclone Dust collector $18.00
    HD Rigid Shop Vac $54.00

Total to date : $377 ish.

I still need to purchase and or add the following: light switch, light sockets, bright light bulbs, a T fitting for air gun and blasting gun, air gun to blow off parts, make a screen to sift out debrit, hose fittings for vacuum system, regulator, air hose, vacuum hose, replacement glass for inside while blasting and I'm sure there is a few more things I am forgetting.

Edit: also need a desiccant bead air dryer.
    Great to have this breakdown here... When everything is said and done, anywhone should be able to figure out if it makes sense to do as you did or, instead, go the easier route and buy an of the shelf unit with all those features (if that creature even exists).

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Finally had a change to give the cabinet a trial run after heating and fitting a few abs/pvc 1.5" fittings to the cabinet and the cyclone dust collector system I put together. I'm pleasantly surprised and quite happy with the performance of the cabinet as it is atm. There is definitely room for improvement, but the blaster is doing exactly what it should be doing. I still have to address lighting and some other minor issues but I can finally use it for tasks I have intended using it for. Below are a couple before and after shots of some garden tractor weights I gave it a test drive on.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 07-03-2018 at 02:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have one of those sandblast cab. had the same problem, drove me nuts trying to figure it out till i put some real light inside so could see what i was doing. the suction hose is NOT strong enough and colapses on itself. took a larger screen door spring and stretched it a bit and slipped it inside the hose so the hose CANNOT collapse. worked fine after that .

Post Thanks / Like

Something like this works also, this is what I have on mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Tubing-.../dp/B000KKVXDI

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I used the cabinet blasting some rail road spikes a glove separated at the seam around the mounting ring and glass beads started coming out at me on top of my left arm.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the HF blast cabinet. My upgrades were less extensive than the Tacoma parts.

First thing I did was add two halogen shop lights in each top corner of the cabinet. They are self shielded as shop lights.

I then added a junction box where the lights were wired into and the extension cord came out of.

The best part was I grounded the cabinet to the junction box. That was great. Now I don't get static shocks from the air through the hose anymore!!!!

I cut out the left side of the cabinet so I could slide in longer pieces.

Replaced the hose from the pickup to the gun, I used heavy commercial heater hose and figured it was cheap enough to replace, but 10 years and it is still good....

I had a buddy with a glass company and had him cut me a ton of new windows for the cabinet. The glass was free and so was his time.

I added some self adhesive foam under the glass to keep dust in.

Hooked up my shop vac and sucked the dust out.

Added an air chiller after the compressor.

Added a dessicant filter.

I have not had the problems a lot of people report though.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210MP MIG
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP - MIG and Push-Pull
    Lincoln TIG 300-300
    Lincoln Hobby-Weld 110v Thanks JLAMES
    CK TIG TORCH, gas diffuser, pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    My brain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I have a water separator at the compressor and the Motorguard paper filter installed after the water separator. I’m confident it is the pick up tube. Barely any air gets past the outside tube to create the cavitation or what ever it’s called for the sand to mix properly once it is sucked into the siphon tube.
    It's surprising how much condensation you get in a line post-dryer. When the air first comes out of the compressor it's warm and holds moisture better. As it cools in the line the condensation happens. I had to put a dryer right at the inlet to my HF blast cabinet.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have not got everything for it yet like the desiccant bead dryer and better lighting. For now when I use it I am using the motorguard paper filter for dry air which I borrowed form my plasma cutter.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to use silica gel Desiccant beads go to Walmart and buy Mimi Kitty cat litter it is about $1.25 per pound and works great. I use it for my CNC plasma table to dry the air.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    If you want to use silica gel Desiccant beads go to Walmart and buy Mimi Kitty cat litter it is about $1.25 per pound and works great. I use it for my CNC plasma table to dry the air.
    Thank you for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Tp tools I think their out of Ohio turnkey good stuff not 2 months of dicking around with junk blasters not bad prices either, I gotta respect people who are trying to save a few bucks I do myself but in the end it usually costs more

Post Thanks / Like

I look at it like this. If I had a ton of money to throw away I probably would not be a hobby fabricator and I would never have to worry about learning anything new, I wouldent have to. Now since I am not ritch I am learning what makes these things tick so I will eventually be able to build one in any size needed for any of my hobby projects. I would like to think I could built with heavier guage materials at the same or a fraction of manufactured cost of same size/quality unit.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 08-10-2018 at 12:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting thread. I have one of the HF cabinets that I've never assembled. When I do, I want to upgrade it as it's assembled rather than go back and do it. How much do you figure you saved over just buying a Tacoma Co. kit? From what I'm reading it doesn't sound like too much. I've tried calling Tacoma Co. a couple of times but have nver gotten a call back.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, TP Tools is out of Canfield Ohio. They manufacture numerous sized blasting cabinets, if one is close worth going there to get ideas. They also used to sell plans to make your own blasting cabinet out of plywood- know several people who have built them using their plans and the 'kit' (containing the gun food pedal etc) that they sell or did at one time. They also sell various abrasive media. (No affiliation with them just have been there and own one of the pressure blasters the predecessor company made)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hvw View Post
    This is an interesting thread. I have one of the HF cabinets that I've never assembled. When I do, I want to upgrade it as it's assembled rather than go back and do it. How much do you figure you saved over just buying a Tacoma Co. kit? From what I'm reading it doesn't sound like too much. I've tried calling Tacoma Co. a couple of times but have nver gotten a call back.
    The savings was substantial enough for me to justify buying pieces of my own from several suppliers to form a kit that works for me. When you look at my total cost you have to account for all the things I have listed that does not come in the kits. Vacuum, dust cyclone etc. Some of the new parts that the Tacoma company are selling like the new style metering valve look to be made out of plastic. No thank you.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 08-19-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the metering Valve I purchased for my kit.

https://www.idsblast.com/sandblasting-supplies/713

I just found this one.

https://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/1...xoCXXgQAvD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like

Problems over.......unless you're tall.Add 6 inches to the legs ...http://www.barrelblaster.com/
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 11-24-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Problems over.......unless you're tall.Add 6 inches to the legs ...http://www.barrelblaster.com/
    Heh heh heh... can't imagine where I've seen that before...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist